Apple's CarPlay wins Autoblog 2016 Technology of the Year award

Posted:
in iPhone
Apple's CarPlay was awarded the "best individual technology feature in a vehicle" by Autoblog at Detroit's North American International Auto Show.

Source: Autoblog

"Apple's CarPlay represents the impact technology is having on our connected lives and brings an experience that is easy to use and enhances the lives of consumers who use this product," stated Stephen Rouse, Autoblog Director of Product and Technology.

CarPlay beat out six other finalists in the technology of the year category: Audi Virtual Cockpit, Ford Sync 3, Google Android Auto, Smart Cross Connect App, Volkswagen MIB II Infotainment and Volvo Sensus Connect."One of the best advantages of using CarPlay is that consumers can bring Apple Maps into their vehicles" - Autoblog

The site noted that "consumers will appreciate the straightforward approach with which CarPlay brings their iPhones to life on the vehicle's touchscreen. CarPlay functions almost exactly the same way the smartphone does, which makes a user's transition into the car seamless and simple."

It added that "one of the best advantages of using CarPlay is that consumers can bring Apple Maps into their vehicles. Depending on the make and model of their cars, this can potentially save car owners from having to shell out hundreds or thousands of dollars to a dealership for an advanced navigation package."

CarPlay Maps and navigation were earlier cited by dealerships as a compelling feature selling GM vehicles, after the American automaker aggressively moved to bring Apple's technology to the largest number of vehicles of any other car manufacturer.

Earlier this month, Apple began detailing a comprehensive list of vehicle models that include support for CarPlay.

Alongside CarPlay, editors also awarded the 2016 Tesla Model S P90D as the vehicle "that showcases the most transformative, integrated technologies in the automotive experience overall," noting that the car "amazed us with self-driving capabilities that we thought were still years off."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    Siri turn by turn, Apple Maps, and iTunes have worked pretty well from my iPhone via Bluetooth in our 2014 Honda CR-V (without the Honda nav package). And the same setup works even a little better when we traded up to a 2016 CR-V.

We've loved our Hondas. But at this point in time, we seriously don't know if we'll renew our lease when it comes time to, because there may very well be compelling fully electric cars available then, the most intriguing being the Tesla Model 3, as it may come in at around the same price as our CR-V ($30K).

We definitely want to go with Tesla's electrics, for one reason in particular: its free supercharging stations which should fairly completely blanket the country by the end of this year.

Maybe Tesla will include Apple Car Play with the Model 3! Hope springs eternal!
    edited January 2016 lostkiwi
  • Reply 2 of 22
    I have "CarPlay" it's called an iPhone and i hang it on the dash of my 2004 Infiniti.
    lostkiwi
  • Reply 3 of 22
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    It's amazing to think in a few years we will be reading a slight variant of that headline in a similar context ... 

Apple's Car wins Technology of the Year award

edited January 2016 ericthehalfbeeanantksundaramlostkiwi
  • Reply 4 of 22
    I have CarPlay and I love it, especially the navigation.
  • Reply 5 of 22
    How does tech from 2014 win a best tech 2016 award? 
  • Reply 6 of 22
    This is the car industry, it's in a 2017 car most likely!  
  • Reply 7 of 22
    sog35 said:

I have "CarPlay" it's called an iPhone and i hang it on the dash of my 2004 Infiniti.
    That's not a good substitute for Carplay. 
    CarPlay on my Accord uses an 8 inch touch screen with much bigger icons than an iPhone, and only shows Apps that are relevant.
    Besides using your phone while you drive is illegal and dangerous.

Using your phone to text while driving is illegal. Using your phone to access maps, however, is not. 
  • Reply 8 of 22
    sog35 said:

CarPlay on my Accord uses an 8 inch touch screen with much bigger icons than an iPhone, and only shows Apps that are relevant.
    Right on, and all thanks to Tim Cook's brilliant leadership!
    lostkiwi
  • Reply 9 of 22
    Siri turn by turn, Apple Maps, and iTunes have worked pretty well from my iPhone via Bluetooth in our 2014 Honda CR-V (without the Honda nav package). And the same setup works even a little better when we traded up to a 2016 CR-V.

We've loved our Hondas. But at this point in time, we seriously don't know if we'll renew our lease when it comes time to, because there may very well be compelling fully electric cars available then, the most intriguing being the Tesla Model 3, as it may come in at around the same price as our CR-V ($30K).

We definitely want to go with Tesla's electrics, for one reason in particular: its free supercharging stations which should fairly completely blanket the country by the end of this year.

You're estimates about the Superstations and Teslas Model 3 are highly, high;y optimistic. While you can drive coast to coast on their supercharger network what good does that do you when you aren't traveling coast to coast and don't live near one? Plus, if you think the model 3 is going to come in at 30k I think you're in for a shock. Tesla has stated production of the model 3 to start between 2017 and 2020.
  • Reply 10 of 22
    I've never heard of Autoblog.

19 trackers on their site make me never want to click on anything there ever again.
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 11 of 22
    sog35 said:

Using your phone to text while driving is illegal. Using your phone to access maps, however, is not. 
    Yes, screwing around with your phone, whether your tuning into your next podcast or changing your mapping directions will get you pulled over if a cop sees you and is in the mood to do it. It's a distraction that is keeping you're attention and eyes off the road, where they should be.
  • Reply 11 of 22
    Because any tech from 2014 won't make it into cars for at LEAST 2 years.. if not longer. Most won't see it until 2017.. and even then, those with used vehicles won't see it fora few years more.. unless you buy an after market unit like I did.. I have the Kenwood DDX99202S with Android Auto and CarPlay. Love it.. a few things I don't like about the safety features that require park, but thats not CarPlay or Android Auto's fault..
  • Reply 13 of 22
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member

If you believe Tesla will make $30k cars, you have better luck to play Scratchers. Tesla said to make Model 3 in $30k rang, but seriously, but when it goes to production, you'll see like HIGH $30k...yup...like $38K...lol. 
    BTW, gas is so cheap now, so you give the shit about EV...
    edited January 2016
  • Reply 14 of 22

sog35 said:

Wrong! In California and many States, using your phone while driving is illegal no matter it's for maps or music or anything. Phone in the car can be accessed through a "hand free" device...
  • Reply 15 of 22

sog35 said:

I thought you drove a BMW, no?
  • Reply 16 of 22
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    It will be the best marriage between phone and car if new cars start offering(map/support/mirror) few but most necessary phone functionalities like hands-free Siri Map/Navigation, Text/Call, Music selection/play, Calendar/Reminder, remember car location, open/close/status of door from phone) and some can be mirrored on car's touch screen dashboard.
    edited January 2016
  • Reply 17 of 22
    y2any2an Posts: 187member
    The Autoblog quotes sound like an Apple keynote. Just sayin'.
  • Reply 18 of 22
    sog35 said:

Wrong. In my Province using any handheld device (i.e. not part of the car's controls or not a handsfree device) while driving is subject to a stiff fine and lost demerits points on your driver's license, regardless of its intended purpose.

In my opinion, using a handheld smartphone for anything while driving is borderline suicidal at best, and more likely homicidal at worst.
  • Reply 19 of 22
    josujosu Posts: 217member
    sog35 said:

Tesla Model 3 is pure vaporware.

Its the golden goose that is stopping Tesla stock from going into the toilet.
    90% with you Sog. Tesla at best would be a niche player in the automotive business, like now is Porsche and want to be Maserati, the Tesla 3 will be, IMHO, the car that will get them into bankruptcy, you can sell Teslas S to wealthy people that have a several cars garages, but worldwide, the Model 3 would have a tough time, is very easy to see, whats happen to other manufacturers, the Leaf sells the best, 40.000 worldwide, mainstream customer is not interested in electric cars. I'm not 100% with you because maybe time prove me wrong, but I seriously doubt it. Unless the car is fully autonomous, it would flop at the volumes they need to make to be a viable alternative, What's the point to make a cheaper car if it sells worst than your flagship? And first we must see what happens with the Model S sales now that the Model X is out in a SUV/CUV crazy market, if Model S sales are cannibalized by the Model X, Tesla is done. 

Tesla as a niche manufacturer have also a big problem, they can't be profitable at this volumes, Porsche was, and Maserati can be. So the time is at their side. Tesla must be as profitable as Porsche to have a shot long-term. Porsche will launch a Model S rival, and, if by then, they are not as profitable as Porsche that will have a tough time.

On the other hand the US wide charging stations is a white elephant long term. Free charging but not free maintenance, all cost, and the bigger it grows bigger the cost.
    edited January 2016
  • Reply 20 of 22
    Unanswered questions: Why should anyone cares what this "Autoblog" says? Are they the top-read automotive blog? Do they have an outstanding reputation among automotive industry journalists? Have they ever accepted "pay for play" coverage? Is this blog a product of a former executive in the automotive sector?

These are just a few questions off the top of my head.

If, on the other hand, this is just some bozo in their basement who likes cars, who cares?
    edited January 2016