Tim Cook, Apple employees volunteer at San Jose elementary school for MLK Day

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2016
Apple CEO Tim Cook joined hundreds of Apple employees in honoring the legacy of Martin Luther King, Jr. on Monday by volunteering time in a renovation effort at Santee Elementary School in San Jose, Calif.

Source: Tim Cook via Twitter

Cook shared two pictures of the Santee Elementary event in a Twitter post. In one photo, Cook is seen refurbishing a wooden installation with a fellow Apple worker, while the other shows a group of students ready to paint campus buildings. Monday was a no school day for Santee.

"Proud to volunteer beside hundreds of Apple employees honoring #MLKDay at ConnectED partner Santee Elementary," the tweet reads.

President Barack Obama's ConnectED initiative, a joint effort involving the Federal Communications Commission and multiple corporations, seeks to provide high-speed Internet access to 99 percent of America's students by 2018. Apple is on the list of participating companies, along with Microsoft, Sprint, and Verizon, among others.

Apple pledged $100 million to the ConnectED program in 2014. Santee Elementary is one of 114 schools in 29 states that was given iPads for student use, while faculty received both MacBooks and iPads. The program also allots one Apple TV per classroom for in-class activities, as well as software serving educational and professional development.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    Nice gesture. How many people of color on the Apple board, again? 
    bobroo
  • Reply 2 of 15
    If they were willing to fly this crew to San Diego; why did they not fly them to a place like Detroit that could really use a few extra hands putting park benches together??? Or Patterson, NJ??? Or rural Mississippi??? Ya' know, some places (unlike Southern California) that really need some help and don't have a PTA to do these type of things.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    I don't believe this is a San Diego school. Your title says San Jose which is more likely. (I live in SD)
  • Reply 4 of 15
    How long did it take you to become so smug and snarky? Or are you just so tired of seeing CEO's of huge corporations being charitable or rolling up their sleeves to do something in their communities. /s

The community should be grateful to Cook and the Apple employees that took part in this. It might also temper your remarks to remind you that Cook is one of the wealthy CEOs who have pledged nearly all their fortunes to charitable causes.
    brian greenRayz2016
  • Reply 5 of 15
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,020member
    bobroo said:
    If they were willing to fly this crew to San Diego; why did they not fly them to a place like Detroit that could really use a few extra hands putting park benches together??? Or Patterson, NJ??? Or rural Mississippi??? Ya' know, some places (unlike Southern California) that really need some help and don't have a PTA to do these type of things.
    I think travel time had a big factor in their choice. Just a guess.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    bobroo said:
    San Jose is a ten-minute drive from Cupertino. Nobody flew anywhere. 
    And how did YOU exactly serve YOUR community, today?
    cali
  • Reply 7 of 15
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Nice to see a CEO who leads by example.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    How many people of color are on the board of the company you work for? Do you even know?

When you set out to change the world, you should look first to changing yourself.
    What did you do for others less fortunate or discriminated against today?
  • Reply 9 of 15
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    I knew I shouldn't have came tot he comments section.  :/
  • Reply 10 of 15
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    This is a test, to see if I am being censored from participating in this topic. :#
  • Reply 11 of 15
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    apple ][ said:
    This is a test, to see if I am being censored from participating in this topic. :#
    It's probably more to do with what is written than who writes it.  Of course if someone were so ego centric as to think everything is about them and they only post to attract attention you could be correct.
    singularity
  • Reply 12 of 15
    swandog15 said:
    I don't believe this is a San Diego school. Your title says San Jose which is more likely. (I live in SD)
    I apologize to all; I confused San Jose and San Diego. I'm sure you'll let me know they are completely different.

On the other hand; I still stand that this has little to do with MLK and what he fought for.

Although this is a nice gesture, the reality of helping school kids or a community in need is negligible. Apple is capable of so much more.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    bobroo said:
    swandog15 said:
    I apologize to all; I confused San Jose and San Diego. I'm sure you'll let me know they are completely different.

On the other hand; I still stand that this has little to do with MLK and what he fought for.

Although this is a nice gesture, the reality of helping school kids or a community in need is negligible. Apple is capable of so much more.
    You really should improve your reading comprehension to reduce your ignorance on this topic.

MLK fought for equal rights and equal opportunity for all americans, which is precisely what Obama's ConnectEd program wants to do for school-aged children. With the help of the $100 million in products Apple donated, it will level the playing field for some americans in the critical early childhood development stage.

Apple have other initiatives not mentioned in this article that MLK would also be proud to see and support were it not for his most untimely death. I would argue that by having their CEO participate in the day's activities, Apple is setting a good example for other companies who are also capable of doing so much more.
    ronn
  • Reply 14 of 15
    This looks like extreme tokenism. 

Tim Cook championing the giving of a single day's pay to the school could have demonstrated pay disparity in a productive manner.

One single day of Tim's income could hire 100 guys for the day, and pay for their tools and all the resources required to build whatever was needed and desired.

With money left over for pizza and beers for everyone afterwords.

And still enough money left over to hire two guys full time, for a year, to maintain whatever was built on this one day. 

bobroo
  • Reply 15 of 15
    ronnronn Posts: 653member
    Deeeds said:
    This looks like extreme tokenism. 

Tim Cook championing the giving of a single day's pay to the school could have demonstrated pay disparity in a productive manner.

One single day of Tim's income could hire 100 guys for the day, and pay for their tools and all the resources required to build whatever was needed and desired.

With money left over for pizza and beers for everyone afterwords.

And still enough money left over to hire two guys full time, for a year, to maintain whatever was built on this one day. 

Apple pledged $100 million to the ConnectED program in 2014. Santee Elementary is one of 114 schools in 29 states that was given iPads for student use, while faculty received both MacBooks and iPads. The program also allots one Apple TV per classroom for in-class activities, as well as software serving educational and professional development.

$100 million isn't tokenism. While I think Apple/Cook needs to do more in terms of diversity, they have contributed a great deal.