Mac OS X gets bumped to version 10.11.3, brings bug fixes and security updates

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2016
Apple on Tuesday released OS X El Capitan 10.11.3, a new point release that the company says brings bug fixes and security updates to the venerable desktop operating system.

There is no word yet on what specific changes Apple has made, but it figures to be a less wide-ranging update than OS X 10.11.2. That release brought improved Wi-Fi reliability, enhancements to Handoff and AirDrop, and fixes for problems with Mail and iCloud Photo Sharing.

Apple had previously provided developers with two beta releases of 10.10.3. The last preview dropped on Jan. 6.

OS X 10.11.3 is available now via the Updates tab of the Mac App Store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    I just installed 10.11.3 on a month old Macbook Pro 15" (w/ discrete gfx). I have never had a system crash or problem on this MBP at all. Within 10 minutes of installing the 10.11.3 update, my keyboard and touchpad became unresponsive while using Chrome. The force click sound of the touchpad was gone. I could put the laptop to sleep, but the keyboard still wouldn't respond after waking up which made it impossible to log in, so I had to hard boot it. Yay.
    h2p
  • Reply 2 of 26
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    After a myriad of little problems, especially with iTunes with my rMBP after installing the last update to OS-X (which did sort themselves out after a little while...somehow) I'm holding off on this.
  • Reply 3 of 26
    h2ph2p Posts: 329member
    I just installed 10.11.3 on a month old Macbook Pro 15" (w/ discrete gfx)... Within 10 minutes of installing the 10.11.3 update, my keyboard and touchpad became unresponsive while using Chrome... so I had to hard boot it. Yay.
    Thank you... and I'm sorry to hear about the issues.
  • Reply 4 of 26
    I have a mid 2012 MBP. It has always been rock solid. No issues yet with the latest update.
  • Reply 5 of 26
    I just installed 10.11.3 on a month old Macbook Pro 15" (w/ discrete gfx). I have never had a system crash or problem on this MBP at all. Within 10 minutes of installing the 10.11.3 update, my keyboard and touchpad became unresponsive while using Chrome. The force click sound of the touchpad was gone. I could put the laptop to sleep, but the keyboard still wouldn't respond after waking up which made it impossible to log in, so I had to hard boot it. Yay.
    Sounds like another "must avoid" update.
  • Reply 6 of 26
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Really? Sounds like a "must avoid" based on a single data point, from a single customer (out of tens of millions), without even confirmation that the issue is caused by the update itself? What a reasonable statement from you.
    gtrJamesBBRayz2016bobschlobmacky the mackymonstrositymuppetryaaronjargonaut
  • Reply 7 of 26
    slurpy said:
    Really? Sounds like a "must avoid" based on a single data point, from a single customer (out of tens of millions), without even confirmation that the issue is caused by the update itself? What a reasonable statement from you.
    It's a "must avoid" since one of my computers is an old Macbook Pro, just like "dynamicmange". How has your install been?
  • Reply 8 of 26
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    slurpy said:
    It's a "must avoid" since one of my computers is an old Macbook Pro, just like "dynamicmange". How has your install been?
    I had no issues with it nor with the current 10.11.4 Beta (15E27e) version on a 2010 i7 MBP, how old is yours?
  • Reply 9 of 26
    I had no issues with it nor with the current 10.11.4 Beta (15E27e) version on a 2010 i7 MBP, how old is yours?
    I believe it's 2010.
  • Reply 10 of 26
    slurpy said:
    Hi guys, My Macbook Pro is not old, only a month old. It had a fresh install of 10.11.2 from the factory. This was the first major OS update I installed on it. Like I said, not a single problem even as far as an application crashing in the last month, and within minutes of this new update I had an extremely strange issue. It's been fine for the past couple of hours, I'll post back any issues if I have them any more. I've been combing through my system logs and right around when it appears to have crashed, there's some messages in there saying "CommCenter: Told CSI to go low power". Not sure what that means or if its related. There was other software like Chrome and Mail running at the time so possibly related to those as well. We'll see.
  • Reply 11 of 26
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    27” iMac 14,2 (late 2013) i7 update from OS X 10.11.2 to 10.11.3 went flawlessly. No issues at all. Out of habit I always restart manually after any update.
  • Reply 12 of 26
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    lkrupp said:
    27” iMac 14,2 (late 2013) i7 update from OS X 10.11.2 to 10.11.3 went flawlessly. No issues at all. Out of habit I always restart manually after any update.
    Much more important to restart 'before', rather than after.
  • Reply 13 of 26
    An issue appeared on the newer MacPro with the release of the 10.11.2 update, where the system would not wake up 4K displays from sleep mode. The issue is very well documented here: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7370824?start=0&tstart=0

I have a 2013 MacPro with two 30 inch Cinema displays and a Samsung 4K display. After installing 10.11.2 I began experiencing the above mentioned problem. I can confirm today that after installing 10.11.3 the problem no longer exists. I've tested it all afternoon and finally my 4K display wakes up from sleep mode along with both Cinema displays. Before the 10.11.3, once my system went to sleep, only my Cinema displays would wake up. I would have to restart my system in order to resume using my 4k display. What a pain that was!! This is a great update for me!!

argonaut
  • Reply 14 of 26
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    Apple on Tuesday released OS X El Capitan 10.11.3, a new point release that the company says brings bug fixes and security updates to the venerable desktop operating system 
    Venerable? An OS?
    cnocbui
  • Reply 15 of 26
     knowitall said:
    Apple on Tuesday released OS X El Capitan 10.11.3, a new point release that the company says brings bug fixes and security updates to the venerable desktop operating system 
    Venerable? An OS?
    My OS so Venerable... 10.4.11

My MBP is soooo old that's the last version of Venerable it would take.
  • Reply 16 of 26
    Oh come on, has there ever been any software update in the history of anything where someone hasn't posted about how it made their computer explode?
    bobschloblkrupp
  • Reply 17 of 26
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Oh come on, has there ever been any software update in the history of anything where someone hasn't posted about how it made their computer explode?
    Too bad people don’t understand that concept. All it takes is a couple of users with similar problems and it becomes an instant “-gate”. Every release of OS X has been declared to be an utter disaster by someone. The funny part is when they lament how stable and perfect the previous version was when it too was declared to be the “worst ever” release by someone else. The grass always looks greener on the other side of the fence. 
    aaronjh2p
  • Reply 18 of 26
    No problems. 

Installed it on my newish MacBook. Interesting though, this is the first time that the low power of my Core M CPU showed itself. 15 minutes to install the update. Maybe 20. Not sure how long MBPs or Airs are taking. Just guessing– not as long as a MacBook.

I've never noticed any performance issues, at all, until now. I suppose a software update is as close as I come to being a "power user".
  • Reply 19 of 26
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Does this add support for the encrypted Notes going into iOS 9.3?
  • Reply 20 of 26
    On the other hand, Apple is getting quite a reputation for releasing sub-par Mac OS software, so it's only prudent to hold off on any significant updates to see what are the real problems, if any.
    edited January 2016