LG aims at ramping up curved OLED production amid rumors of iPhone plans

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2016
LG Display is reportedly planning to increase its manufacturing capacity for curved OLED displays, in a move that may back rumors the company will help Apple produce its first OLED-equipped iPhone.

LG is looking to achieve 75,000 substrates per month at 6G facilities in the first half of 2017, South Korea's ET News said on Tuesday, quoted by DigiTimes. That should bolster the company's current 4.5G facilities, which churn out 20,000 substrates a month.

Separate reports have indicated that Samsung and AU Optronics will also be joining in OLED production for Apple. Samsung is allegedly planning to spend up to $7.47 billion on improving capacity -- kicking into high gear in 2017 -- while AU Optronics may be receiving an investment from Apple to join OLED supplier ranks.

Apple isn't expected to use OLEDs in 2016 iPhone models, or likely even in 2017 models either. The earliest possible date is believed to be 2018, though even 2019 may be a possibility.

OLED offers several advantages over the LTPS panels in current iPhones, such as flexibility, but is more expensive to produce -- especially considering the lack of OLED capacity among Asian suppliers.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    Why do I keep reading on the interwebs that these are "curved" OLEDs, when (as I understand it) they are actually "flexible" OLEDs?
    Or do I have it wrong?
  • Reply 2 of 15
    If the capacity will be ready in 2017, then I would peg it for the 7S. No need in having all that capability just sitting around.

Maybe I'll go with the iPhone Upgrade Program this time around.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    This is for the inside of the windshield of the Car¡
    fotoformat
  • Reply 4 of 15
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    bobschlob said:
    Why do I keep reading on the interwebs that these are "curved" OLEDs, when (as I understand it) they are actually "flexible" OLEDs?
    Or do I have it wrong?
    I think it's flexible... But saying "curved" is sexier. They're potentially curved :-).
    It's probably because their greatest use now is in those curved TV's.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    jason98jason98 Posts: 768member
    foggyhill said:

I think it's flexible... But saying "curved" is sexier. They're potentially curved :-).

BTW, curved TVs are not welcomed by most of videophiles despite Samsung's attempts to position them as premium.
    LG in turn announced only flat OLED models (G6 and E6) in the ultra premium and premium segments, and just one curved model at a lower price level.

http://televisions.reviewed.com/news/lg-2016-tv-lineup?utm_source=spikes&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=collab

edited January 2016 linkman
  • Reply 6 of 15
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    jason98 said:
    foggyhill said:

BTW, curved TVs are not welcomed by most of videophiles despite Samsung's attempts to position them as premium.
    LG in turn announced only flat OLED models (G6 and E6) in the ultra premium and premium segments, and just one curved model at a lower price level.

http://televisions.reviewed.com/news/lg-2016-tv-lineup?utm_source=spikes&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=collab

Neither are curved phones, which is why I wish people would stop referring to flexible OLEDs as (essentially) "curved screens". Media should just call them what they are.
    If LG is going to make curved screens for the iPhone, then that means the iPhone will have a curved screen.
    It's that simple.
    edited January 2016
  • Reply 7 of 15
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member
    I'm at a total loss as to why someone would want a TV with a concave screen. Why would one want to reduce the off-axis viewing ability? They only look good within a very arrow angle, and IMHO they still don't look as good as flat screens. Remember when CRTs were almost always convex and only shortly before they mostly died out did manufacturers come out with flat one? I've spent plenty of time sitting before both and definitely prefer the flat. As for phones, there are certainly curved screens out there. Example: http://www.lg.com/us/cell-phones/lg-D950-g-flex
  • Reply 8 of 15
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Why LG or anyone produce screens a year ahead(if to be used in 2018 iphone) and sitting around when within a year OLED technology from other manufacturers can move ahead. If LG producing OLED in 2017 than meant to be used for iphone 7S unless LG will first use in it's own phones for a year as a test bed before supppling to Apple. .
    edited January 2016
  • Reply 9 of 15
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    I think OLED screens are coming this year.  It's too big a jump for an S model.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    cnocbui said:
    The myth that "S" models bring nothing new needs to die. It's something often regurgitated by idiot fandroids and "S stands for same" is an actual phrase that's caught on.
    The S models ALWAYS bring nice hardware innovations and I don't see why OLED can't debut on an S model.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    cali said:
    cnocbui said:
    The myth that "S" models bring nothing new needs to die. It's something often regurgitated by idiot fandroids and "S stands for same" is an actual phrase that's caught on.
    The S models ALWAYS bring nice hardware innovations and I don't see why OLED can't debut on an S model.
    I don't disagree with you - it certainly could make it to an S model - There are no rules, Apple can do whatever they like, but I think it is such a big step that Ive would be keen to go all-out and exploit it from a design perspective, which would mean a new model.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    bobschlob said:
    Or do I have it wrong?
    The whole article is nonsense.  It implies that Apple is moving to Samsung style OLED screens with poor colour reproduction and "pop," when they will literally NEVER do that. They've spent the last decade AVOIDING doing this and all other rumours about screens indicate the exact opposite.  It also implies that Apple is somehow going to be coming out with a "curved" phone, based on absolutely f-all.  
    edited January 2016
  • Reply 13 of 15
    Mr_Grey said:
    bobschlob said:
    Or do I have it wrong?
    The whole article is nonsense.  It implies that Apple is moving to Samsung style OLED screens with poor colour reproduction and "pop," when they will literally NEVER do that. They've spent the last decade AVOIDING doing this and all other rumours about screens indicate the exact opposite.  It also implies that Apple is somehow going to be coming out with a "curved" phone, based on absolutely f-all.  
    You are a few years out of date.
    edited January 2016
  • Reply 14 of 15
    Having been the Consumer Electronics field at all levels over the past 45 years, I can unequivocally say OLED is the display medium on the next decade. LG is leading the manufacturing field in OLED while Samsung is still mired in LCD technology. Contrary to common nomenclature, there are no "LED" consumer television displays, only LCD using LEDs as back lighting. By far, OLED has the best contrast (infinite) and best color of current display technologies. As to a "curved" OLED screen? There would be no point in that unless it extended to your extreme field of vision, like an I-Max screen. However, it would be nice if Apple came out with a "bendable" phone that would simply bend to the contours of your butt when you accidentally sit down with it in your back pocket ....LOL
  • Reply 15 of 15
    Having been the Consumer Electronics field at all levels over the past 45 years, I can unequivocally say OLED is the display medium on the next decade. LG is leading the manufacturing field in OLED while Samsung is still mired in LCD technology. Contrary to common nomenclature, there are no "LED" consumer television displays, only LCD using LEDs as back lighting. By far, OLED has the best contrast (infinite) and best color of current display technologies. As to a "curved" OLED screen? There would be no point in that unless it extended to your extreme field of vision, like an I-Max screen. However, it would be nice if Apple came out with a "bendable" phone that would simply bend to the contours of your butt when you accidentally sit down with it in your back pocket ....LOL
    OLED is currently an inferior Android and Windows Phone technology, it isn't until it is used in an iPhone till it becomes a quality technology.