Apple website suggests Night Shift to gain Control Center integration

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2016
Apple might be looking to make Night Shift an integral and easily accessible part of iOS, as an official screenshot posted to the company's website shows Control Center implementation on an iPad Air 2.

Control Center access to Night Shift as seen on Apple Canada's iOS 9.3 Preview page (left) compared to US version.

As discovered by a Reddit user on Wednesday, Apple Canada's iOS 9.3 Preview webpage reveals an iPad Control Center menu with Night Shift activation icon next to the existing brightness slider control. Seen above, a contextual pop-up menu shows further options for "Turn On For Now" and "Turn On Until Tomorrow," suggesting constant-on and time-based automation modes, respectively.

By comparison, the promo shot on Apple's US preview page shows an iPhone displaying an identical image of Health, while the iPad is running the News app, not a home screen with Control Center overlay as seen on the Canadian webpage.

Current iOS 9.3 beta builds do not include a Night Shift button in Control Center.

Introduced in the first iOS 9.3 beta last week, Night Shift mode allows users to customize and control a device's display color temperature to offset physiological side effects of being exposed to cool blue light at night. When switched on, Night Shift automatically shifts display colors toward the warmer end of the spectrum. Colors return to normal in the morning.

In its current form, Night Shift can be accessed through the Display and Brightness settings menu, though the image discovered today suggests Apple plans to include similar options in Control Center.

It is unclear whether or not Apple intends to include Control Center access when iOS 9.3 launches, or if it will be an iPad-only feature. Screen brightness settings access in Control Center is limited to iPad and is not available on iPhone or iPod touch.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    I have a screen brightness slider in Control Center on my iPhone. My iPhone 4 had it in iOS 7...
  • Reply 2 of 19
    I need "low power mode" in Control Center. So annoying to need to drill down into Settings to get to this. Not to mention that, as far I can tell, it is enabled by default and always is activated below a preset battery percentage. I should have an option to permanently switch off lpm if I don't want to use it. 
  • Reply 3 of 19
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member
    Any more insight into whether this is a 64 bit only feature?
  • Reply 4 of 19
    carthusia said:
    I need "low power mode" in Control Center. So annoying to need to drill down into Settings to get to this. Not to mention that, as far I can tell, it is enabled by default and always is activated below a preset battery percentage. I should have an option to permanently switch off lpm if I don't want to use it. 
    Use Siri to turn it off or on. 

cornchip said:
    Any more insight into whether this is a 64 bit only feature?
    It's 64-bit only. My guess is it's Metal accelerated, which is also 64-bit only due to hardware limitations. 
    carthusiamacky the macky
  • Reply 5 of 19
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    I have a screen brightness slider in Control Center on my iPhone. My iPhone 4 had it in iOS 7...
    Congratulations.
    mac fan
  • Reply 6 of 19
    I see a menu on the screen shot. Does that mean we might get 3D Touch capabilities for control center? Here's hoping. Though that screen shot is of an iPad so who knows...
    thewhitefalcon
  • Reply 7 of 19
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

What does this have to do with brightness control?
    edited January 2016 nolamacguy
  • Reply 8 of 19
    djsherly said:
    Congratulations.
    Quoted from the article: Screen brightness settings access in Control Center is limited to iPad and is not available on iPhone or iPod touch. 

Just pointing out that inaccuracy. 
  • Reply 9 of 19
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,316member
    LOL "Apple website suggests"?
    Does it also suggest the CEO is some guy named Tim and the they might have a store in Sydney Australia (as if that is a real place).
  • Reply 10 of 19
    sully54sully54 Posts: 108member
    Night shift will actually be available only in canada to help with our long winter nights...
    makemineamac
  • Reply 11 of 19
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Pretty sure that's just an error and they meant to say Night Shift display settings (which are within the Display and Brightness settings)
    edited January 2016
  • Reply 12 of 19
    jfc1138 said:

Pretty sure that's just an error and they meant to say Night Shift display settings (which are within the Display and Brightness settings)
    Unless they edited the OP since you posted, I'm pretty sure they meant what they said. I don't see the error you're talking about.

In its current form, Night Shift can be accessed through the Display and Brightness settings menu...

That reads to me that if you go to Settings > Display and Brightness  there will be a setting(s) on the screen for Night Shift, as well as Brightness (which also currently includes Auto-Brightness, Text Size, and Bold Text in 9.2.1).
  • Reply 13 of 19
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    Not the same. Night shift mode dynamically adapts the glow of your device throughout the day. Or is it? It'd be cool if the iSight camera measures the daylight and adapts the screen glow automatically.
    edited January 2016
  • Reply 14 of 19
    I am not referring to any particular story, but making a general comment: AI seems to be running out of interesting Apple stories to write. Perhaps there truly isn't all that much going on. 

In the meantime, it's all very boring news and rumors from/about/regarding Apple...... Sigh. 
  • Reply 15 of 19
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    mr o said:
    Not the same. Night shift mode dynamically adapts the glow of your device throughout the day. Or is it? It'd be cool if the iSight camera measures the daylight and adapts the screen glow automatically.
    night shift has nothing to do with glow of the screen, and everything to do with light color temperature. 
  • Reply 16 of 19
    I am not referring to any particular story, but making a general comment: AI seems to be running out of interesting Apple stories to write. Perhaps there truly isn't all that much going on. 

In the meantime, it's all very boring news and rumors from/about/regarding Apple...... Sigh. 
    On the contrary. The 'Night Shift' feature is of great interest to our wellbeing. Especially if Apple wants to hold on to the trend of increasing the size of their screens. Look how nasty the screen glow of the iPad pro lights up the girl's face. This does not look good to me:

My only wish would be that Appleinsider could give us more insight into the technology:

1. Is it a static setting or does the device adapts its glow dynamically? 
    2. If the latter, will the iSight camera measure the brightness in the room or is it tied to the clock and geo location? A one-scenario-fits-all-static-setting does not make much sense.
    edited January 2016
  • Reply 17 of 19
    mr o said:
    night shift has nothing to do with glow of the screen, and everything to do with light color temperature. 
    Well, they are somehow related.

I am using f.lux on my desktop computer and I love how the screen turns gradually amber as the sun sets. It is as if my computer follows the sun. For the sake of better sleep, I hope it comes as a standard feature with the next OSX.

edited January 2016
  • Reply 18 of 19
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    mac fan said:
    jfc1138 said:

Unless they edited the OP since you posted, I'm pretty sure they meant what they said. I don't see the error you're talking about.

In its current form, Night Shift can be accessed through the Display and Brightness settings menu...

That reads to me that if you go to Settings > Display and Brightness  there will be a setting(s) on the screen for Night Shift, as well as Brightness (which also currently includes Auto-Brightness, Text Size, and Bold Text in 9.2.1).
    The post I was responding to I assumed was looking at this segment of the article: "Screen brightness settings access in Control Center is limited to iPad and is not available on iPhone or iPod touch." Which is, of course, incorrect as that OP pointed out, there's a nice slider to set the brightness level right there on my 6s Plus screen Control Center. [Looks down and confirms that is true]
    edited January 2016