Apple increases iOS App Store revenue lead, now earns 75% more than Android's Google Play

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
Despite a huge jump in Android app downloads from Google Play fueled by the company's expansion into developing markets, Apple's iOS App Store continues to bring in more money and has actually increased its lead in profitability over Android's official store.

Source: App Annie

According to a report by mobile marketer App Annie, in 2015 Google began servicing twice as many app downloads as the iOS App Store, but that hasn't translated into greater earning power. Despite all those downloads, iOS now earns 75 percent more, an increase over Apple's 2014 lead of 70 percent greater trackable revenues than Google Play.

"While Android is making inroads on Apple's U.S. market share [among trackable app downloads], its revenue lags," the report noted. "Google must continue to evolve its strategy to help drive more revenue for its developers; that said, Android market share needs to grow at the high end of the smartphone market to meaningfully drive more revenue share."

Limited data

App Annie download statistics only pertain to apps the company can track, so downloads of Apple's own first party apps (such as Keynote, Garage Band, iTunes U and Apple Music) don't appear, and neither do bundled apps such as Maps, News and Wallet.

"App Annie is used by more than 1 million apps to track their performance," the company's report states, "and now has over 500,000 registered members -- including 94 of the top 100 publishers."

That makes it difficult to make direct comparisons between the two platforms in overall download counts, but it does show that among monetized apps tracked by advertisers, iOS is earning far more money for developers than Android is, despite the fact that much of Android's apps are free/ad supported titles that Google cultivates, because it is primarily an advertising company.

App Annie's figures for the top ten music streaming apps doesn't even mention Apple Music, for example, despite the new service pulling in ten million paid subscribers and likely many times more that in app downloads.

Conversely, in App Annie's rankings of top apps by platform, YouTube is the third most popular app listed for iOS, but doesn't even show up in Android's top ten because it's included with Android.

Source: App Annie

App Annie also reports no data for Google Play in China because Google has virtually no presence there. On the other hand, Apple's app revenue China (related to the titles App Annie can track) has doubled, making China Apple's third largest App Store market, and "within striking distance" of displacing Japan for second place. In app download counts, China has surpassed the U.S. to now be first.

In addition to earning more for app developers, Apple's platform also represents most of the online orders made from mobile devices. Custora noted over the holidays that iOS accounted for 78 percent of mobile sales last fall.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    The primary reason and hinted at in the AI article: China. That's why Google will eat crow and re-enter the Chinese market, and likely with official backing from a couple of the big Chinese OEM's
    freshmakerjbdragon
  • Reply 2 of 17
    Apple's success in China does not account for that giant discrepancy entirely, however. The other factor not really mentioned in this summary, but supported by numerous other studies, is simply that iOS users tend pay for their apps because they use them a lot; Android users tend to prefer free apps and resist in-app purchases, and appear to use them very little (except for games). More revenue = more developers = better and more apps.
    macky the mackylatifbpnetmagejbdragon
  • Reply 3 of 17
    There's logs of interesting data in the App Annie report. Curious what App Store apps were most used month after month last year on iOS?

1 Facebook (Facebook)
    2 Facebook Messenger (Facebook)
    3 YouTube (Google)
    4 WhatsApp Messenger (Facebook)
    5 Instagram (Facebook)
    6 Google Maps (Google)
    7 Twitter (Twitter)
    8 Snapchat (Snapchat)
    9 Google (Google)
    10 Gmail (Google)
    Deeedsmacky the mackycnocbuisingularity
  • Reply 4 of 17
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    Worst pieces of Article Ever. If you guys want proper figures, you should go and see a16z slides.

Oh, depending on how you view it, iOS actually were 100% more revenue then Google Play in 2013......
  • Reply 5 of 17
    gatorguy said:
    There's logs of interesting data in the App Annie report. Curious what App Store apps were most used month after month last year on iOS?

1 Facebook (Facebook)
    3 YouTube (Google)
    5 Instagram (Facebook)
    6 Google Maps (Google)
    7 Twitter (Twitter)
    8 Snapchat (Snapchat)
    9 Google (Google)
    10 Gmail (Google)
    Interesting info... but shouldn't Twitter be followed by (Mirosoft)?
  • Reply 6 of 17
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Let's ignore the topic at hand and critisize DED.

GO!
  • Reply 7 of 17
    gatorguy said:

1 Facebook (Facebook)
    3 YouTube (Google)
    5 Instagram (Facebook)
    6 Google Maps (Google)
    7 Twitter (Twitter)
    8 Snapchat (Snapchat)
    9 Google (Google)
    10 Gmail (Google)

No, not curious at all.

First off, there have been studies that say the most used Windows program is Solitaire. Just because every PC comes with Solitaire, and just about everybody plays it from time to time, doesn't mean all they do on their PCs all day is play Solitaire.

Second, the list you provided is actually titled "Monthly Active Users". However your sentence states "most used month after month". Why do you continue to intentionally make slight changes to the wording to alter the meanings of reports/articles/studies? Never mind, after years why should things be different now?

I have 8 of those 10 on my iPhone (no Google or Gmail). Their COMBINED usage adds up to about 20% (according to my Battery Usage report on my iPhone). Today the only Apps I used off that list were YouTube, Facebook and Twitter. 15% of the battery was for YouTube (I watched a few more videos than usual today). Instagram and Snapchat I use a couple times a month tops. But because I use them each month they show up as a "monthly active user".

Hardly an accurate representation of how much time people actually "use" each App.
    netmagejbdragon
  • Reply 8 of 17

App Annie's figures for the top ten music streaming apps doesn't even mention Apple Music, for example, despite the new service pulling in ten million paid subscribers and likely many times more that in app downloads.

Conversely, in App Annie's rankings of top apps by platform, YouTube is the third most popular app listed for iOS, but doesn't even show up in Android's top ten because it's included with Android.
    Who actually downloads Apple Music as a stand alone app?

The Apple Music app is included in iOS and can't be avoided unless you don't upgrade iOS.

Apple Music is one of those Apple apps that is baked into iOS by Apple and can not be deleted. If you don't use Apple Music you can only hide it in your garbage folder with all the other Apple apps that can't be deleted.
    gatorguy
  • Reply 9 of 17
    gatorguy said:

1 Facebook (Facebook)
    3 YouTube (Google)
    5 Instagram (Facebook)
    6 Google Maps (Google)
    7 Twitter (Twitter)
    8 Snapchat (Snapchat)
    9 Google (Google)
    10 Gmail (Google)

No, not curious at all. ( of course you aren't :)First off, there have been studies that say the most used Windows program is Solitaire...

Second, the list you provided is actually titled "Monthly Active Users". However your sentence states "most used month after month". Why do you continue to intentionally make slight changes to the wording to alter the meanings of reports/articles/studies?
    What is the difference in meaning between saying apps with the most "Monthly Active Users" and App Store apps used the most month after month? Nothing IMO but perhaps you could expand on why you think it changes the meaning, I ain't seein' it. 

By the way, you mentioned Windows Solitaire so this may be more to your liking since the discussion of AppStore apps doesn't. Fun fact at least.
    http://www.knowable.com/a/the-developer-of-microsoft-solitaire-speaks-out-about-not-being-paid-a-cent

And the long version, actually interesting if you have a couple of minutes. 
    https://www.reddit.com/r/todayilearned/comments/3zfadv/til_that_microsoft_solitaire_was_developed_by_a/
    edited January 2016
  • Reply 10 of 17
    koopkoop Posts: 337member
    Googles making a killing on iOS. Make a competing product and then monetize the competitors platform. Win win.
    palomine
  • Reply 11 of 17
    gatorguy said:

No, not curious at all. ( of course you aren't :)First off, there have been studies that say the most used Windows program is Solitaire...

Second, the list you provided is actually titled "Monthly Active Users". However your sentence states "most used month after month". Why do you continue to intentionally make slight changes to the wording to alter the meanings of reports/articles/studies?
    What is the difference in meaning between saying apps with the most "Monthly Active Users" and App Store apps used the most month after month? Nothing IMO but perhaps you could expand on why you think it changes the meaning, I ain't seein' it. 

Whats the dfference? Stop playing dumb. I explained clearly in my post already, but here we go again for the kiddies.

Users refers to the number of people who have an App installed and actually use it.

Usage refers to the number of hours a user spends in an App.

The App I spend the most time on, by far, is Safari. Same goes for my wife and kids (I often check their usage numbers to weed out battery hogs).

Your implication by posting that one snippet from their report is that Google (since everyone knows your their biggest shill) are the most USED Apps on iOS devices. Sorry, not true at all.
    netmage
  • Reply 12 of 17
    gatorguy said:

1 Facebook (Facebook)
    3 YouTube (Google)
    5 Instagram (Facebook)
    6 Google Maps (Google)
    7 Twitter (Twitter)
    8 Snapchat (Snapchat)
    9 Google (Google)
    10 Gmail (Google)
    Interesting. So if 4 of the top 10 are Google apps and that revenue is counted for Apple developers on iOS but not for Google developers on Android, the revenue data is not really apples to apples, excuse the pun. The argument seems to be that iOS is making Google and Facebook rich
  • Reply 13 of 17
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    koop said:
    Googles making a killing on iOS. Make a competing product and then monetize the competitors platform. Win win.
    While Google has been making a lot of money on iOS, I'm sure that's been dropping. Apple users are using Google Maps less and less as Apple Maps get better and better. There's now Ad Blocking in Safari, which is killing profits for Google. What's left? Youtube I guess.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    gatorguy said:

No, not curious at all. ( of course you aren't First off, there have been studies that say the most used Windows program is Solitaire...

Whats the dfference? Stop playing dumb. I explained clearly in my post already, but here we go again for the kiddies.

Users refers to the number of people who have an App installed and actually use it.

The App I spend the most time on, by far, is Safari. Same goes for my wife and kids (I often check their usage numbers to weed out battery hogs).

Your implication by posting that one snippet from their report is that Google (since everyone knows your their biggest shill) are the most USED Apps on iOS devices. Sorry, not true at all.
    No, Facebook has the most-oft used apps in the App Store according to the source. Google is behind them. Or put yet another way Facebook was used each month by more iOS owners than any other 3rd party app available in the App Store. The app with the third most regular iOS users is Google's YouTube. 

You apparently believe that "most often used" and "highest usage" carry the same meaning. I don't which is why I don't see anything wrong with the original statement as written. IMO one refers to the number of times used whereas the second, which you are talking about, refers to time (or miles or whatever depending on what is being reported). If you misunderstood what was reported or said perhaps that clears it up for you. 

Saying the list I posted represents the most often used apps from the App Store month after month this past year is absolutely spot on (assuming AppAnnie is accurate). You could also be correct that Safari is used more hours in a month, Heck Candy Crush might be used more hours in a month for that matter.  But as for Safari...

Safari would not be on the list in the first place if you understand what the list reports on, 3rd party apps available from the App Store. 
    edited January 2016 techlover
  • Reply 15 of 17
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    gatorguy said:

He's plays dumb in all posts.
    This kind of arguing in bad faith with essentially a wall, eventually tires out anyone and the only solution is not responding.
    I'd normally call this kind of troll, the teacher troll (want to make sure we don't misrepresenting "facts" (sic)),
    but by being unrelentingly disingenuous I'd have to call it something else, not sure what.
    I can't fathom the motivation for this kind of long term action.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    foggyhill said:
    gatorguy said:

He's plays dumb in all posts.
    This kind of arguing in bad faith with essentially a wall, eventually tires out anyone and the only solution is not responding.
    I'd normally call this kind of troll, the teacher troll (want to make sure we don't misrepresenting "facts" (sic)),
    but by being unrelentingly disingenuous I'd have to call it something else, not sure what.
    I can't fathom the motivation for this kind of long term action.
    You're certainly on a roll lately. Why not instead take the opportunity to mellow out the posts a bit, new AI look, new and more respectful AI posts and all that? Insults never make any of us look better, especially to casual visitors. That's a category that makes up the bulk of AI readers, not the forum regulars.  Appearances matter to to the Apple community. When any of is rude or worse "jerkish" (not saying that applies to you of course) it reflects poorly on both the site and Apple fans in general.
    edited January 2016 techlover
  • Reply 17 of 17
    On a related note an Oracle attorney has inadvertently (?) leaked revenue figures for Android, and from docs marked "Attorney Eyes Only". Not the first time something like that has happened. Reportedly Google has seen around $31B in revenue from it and $22B of that is profit.  No mention was made of when or how those figures were tabulated. 
    edited January 2016