Rumor: Video from China claims to show new 4" iPhone with 6-series design

Posted:
in iPhone
A video posted to YouTube this week contains footage of what is purportedly a new 4-inch iPhone, boasting the same industrial design as the current iPhone 6 series.

The device seen in the video is "one of the first demo examples from [sic] Foxconn department," according to Chinese blog M.I.C. Gadget. No further information is provided, though the blog does hedge somewhat by saying that the final product may be different from what is shown.

It's difficult to determine the true size of the device, as there is nothing in the video for scale. While it does seem smaller than an iPhone 6s, that could be an optical illusion -- either from the manner in which the device is held, or simply from the size of the person's hands.

Also worth noting is that the device is never powered on, leaving open the possibility that it could be a dummy unit.

Apple is thought to be working on a new 4-inch handset to replace the aging iPhone 5c, though most rumors have pointed to it keeping a more iPhone 5s-like styling. The so-called "iPhone 5e" would likely ship with an A8 processor and 1 gigabyte of RAM, despite reports that it might come with the more powerful A9 chip.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    "there is nothing in the video for scale"

Except a male hand, the home button and the SIM eject hole and hatch.

If that is it, those plastic separators to enable the antennas make it one ugly duckling.
    edited January 2016
  • Reply 2 of 22
    adybadyb Posts: 205member
    If it is a 4" phone with up to date components & applications (Apple Pay), that'll be the replacement for my wife's iPhone 4S sorted. She has very small hands & the 6 is just too big for her!
    mike1jahblade
  • Reply 3 of 22
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    You don't have to see even real video of new upcoming 4" iphone to know. First it will be around 4" and look-wise similar to 4" ipod or iphone 6 and Internals are A8 or A9, ApplePay, VoLTE/VoWiFi. What else is their to debate on ? Anyone can figure out. Apple's approach to help upgrade those still comfortable and holding on to smaller iphone and those who want to buy smaller iphone with newer tech.
    edited January 2016 uffenman
  • Reply 4 of 22
    I hope this is the design. Some rumors indicated that it could have the boxy iPhone 5 design which would have been a step backwards. The iPhone 6 design is much more elegant. The main question now is whether Apple can be aggressive with the price. $549 will not exactly set the world on fire.
    cintos
  • Reply 5 of 22
    cnocbui said:
    Except a male hand, the home button and the SIM eject hole and hatch.
    Yeah, and this is an iPhone6...at least, it has 1:1 correspondence to the one that I am holding in my hand now. The same scale, the same positions of buttons and their sizes. Everything is the same.
  • Reply 6 of 22

If you ask me, this is an iPhone 6 or 6s... 
    edited January 2016 aylkradarthekat
    01.jpg 134.4K
  • Reply 7 of 22
    Looks like a 4.7" iPhone 6/6S to me. 
    anton zuykov
  • Reply 8 of 22
    I wouldn't be surprised if GooPhone built this, powered by Android.
  • Reply 9 of 22
    I wouldn't be surprised if GooPhone built this, powered by Android.
    And I was thinking it's more likely the latest Samscum phone!
  • Reply 10 of 22
    That's a 6 not a new rendition of iPhone-4, Phone is much too long in length to be a 4" version w/6 technology. Who ever this is floating this video as a "Sneak Peak" to New iPhone w/4" screen is desperate , that's all I'll say.
  • Reply 11 of 22
    Wonder if you could take a photo of the thumb print and give it to the producers of CSI so they could tell us who this is in the video in less than 3 seconds 
  • Reply 12 of 22
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member
    adyb said:
    If it is a 4" phone with up to date components & applications (Apple Pay), that'll be the replacement for my wife's iPhone 4S sorted. She has very small hands & the 6 is just too big for her!
    My wife and daughter too. Looking to replace a 5C and 4S respectively. Neither is thrilled with the size of my 6.
    jahblade
  • Reply 13 of 22
    At the time of the iPhone 6 and 6s release the tech wasn't quite there to build a smaller iPhone 5/s model.  Now it is and they will be releasing it to satisfy people like us who want the internals of the 6s in a smaller form factor.  I won't upgrade until it's there...I simply don't care for a phone as large as the 4.7+ size.  I don't care about your opinion, that's my choice and I control my wallet.  So don't tell me to make due with what's out there.  It's as simple as that.
  • Reply 14 of 22
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    Probably 2014 iPhone 6 innards with the iPhone 5/5S 4" screen...seems the most logical route to take for a new budget priced iPhone...not very exciting but it'll do.
  • Reply 15 of 22
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    Grabbing this still from the video, I used a metric ruler to measure the phone speaker slot at 18mm with the photo displayed on my iPad.  I then placed the ruler spanning the entire phone width, so the the ruler lay directly across the speaker slot, and measured 122mm.  That's a ratio of about 6.8:1.  I then measured my actual iPhone 6 speaker slot at 10mm.  Multiplying by 6.8 gets 68mm for the width of a 4.7" iPhone 6, and checking the tech specs on the Apple website, sure enough, the 6 is 67mm wide, so pretty close with my measurements.  Bottom line: the video is of a 4.7" 6 series (either 6 or 6S).  
    edited January 2016
  • Reply 16 of 22
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    grangerfx said:
    I hope this is the design. Some rumors indicated that it could have the boxy iPhone 5 design which would have been a step backwards. 
    I've been following this, and have yet to read a first hand account that clearly states the new 4" case will have the same stalling as the current 5S. The closest I've seen to that is that it would be in a 'similar' case to the 5S which could mean anything from a similar design, to a similar size, or proportion. Nothing else I've read would suggest that it will otherwise look the same.
  • Reply 17 of 22
    Grabbing this still from the video, I used a metric ruler to measure the phone speaker slot at 18mm with the photo displayed on my iPad.  I then placed the ruler spanning the entire phone width, so the the ruler lay directly across the speaker slot, and measured 122mm.  That's a ratio of about 6.8:1.  I then measured my actual iPhone 6 speaker slot at 10mm.  Multiplying by 6.8 gets 68mm for the width of a 4.7" iPhone 6, and checking the tech specs on the Apple website, sure enough, the 6 is 67mm wide, so pretty close with my measurements.  Bottom line: the video is of a 4.7" 6 series (either 6 or 6S).  
    Woah. Dude, you're like genius 'n stuff. One thing: what is the ratio of the speaker on a four inch phone? Are those speakers the same length as on the iPhone 6? Otherwise, I can't fault your math. I wasn't expecting it to be a four inch phone. 

Anyway, what's up with the little paper slips on the device? Optical illusion? I'll bet so. Somebody wants their moment real bad. 
    Malhar
  • Reply 18 of 22
    This video just doesn't make sense. Look closely, and you will see the sleep wake button on the side. If it were a 4 inch iPhone, to have it on the side will be very inconvenient. Disappointed with AI!
  • Reply 19 of 22
    There is no way that's a 4" phone. 
  • Reply 20 of 22
    joshajosha Posts: 901member
    uffenman said:
    At the time of the iPhone 6 and 6s release the tech wasn't quite there to build a smaller iPhone 5/s model.  Now it is and they will be releasing it to satisfy people like us who want the internals of the 6s in a smaller form factor.  I won't upgrade until it's there...I simply don't care for a phone as large as the 4.7+ size.  I don't care about your opinion, that's my choice and I control my wallet.  So don't tell me to make due with what's out there.  It's as simple as that.
    I share your desire for the iPhone 5 size.
    Last summer I upgraded my, stuck on iOS7, iPhone4 16gb to a clear out 5c 16gb.
    I expected 16gb to be a bit small, that it is with todays software.
    But jumping to 64gb is very unnecessary for me on this upgrade cycle.

My big problem with 16gb is limited room for pictures on a trip,
      so my long overdue anyway upgrade of my yr2000 G3 PB to a 256gb MacBook Air is my solution.
    I saved C$500 getting the iPhone 5c rather than the 6s.  That's 50% of the MacBook Air cost.