Apple CEO Tim Cook met with Pope Francis in the Vatican on Friday

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2016
A peek at the schedule of Pope Francis has revealed that the head of the Catholic Church met with Apple Chief Executive Tim Cook on Friday, though what the two discussed remains a mystery.

Photo via the Associated Press.

Carol Glatz of the National Catholic Reporter snapped a picture of the Pope's schedule on Friday, revealing that the pontiff had a meeting scheduled with Cook at 11:30 a.m. local time. Tom Cheshire of Sky News later confirmed that the meeting took place, as highlighted by Business Insider.

Cook's meeting with His Holiness comes one week after Pope Francis met with Eric Schmidt, CEO of Apple rival Alphabet.

What Cook and the Pope discussed remains unknown, but both are known as fierce advocates for the environment and equality. Last year, Cook was the recipient of the Robert F. Kennedy Human Rights "Ripple of Hope" award, recognizing people who "demonstrate commitment to social change and reflect Robert Kennedy's passion for equality, justice, basic human rights, and his belief that we all must strive to 'make gentle the life of this world.'"

Though Cook hasn't discussed his personal thoughts on religion in depth, he did mention God in an open letter published in 2014, in which he publicly revealed his sexual orientation.

"I consider being gay among the greatest gifts God has given me," Cook wrote.

While a sit-down with a religious leader is unique for a tech CEO, high-profile meetings are the norm for Cook, who frequently meets with elected officials and has even testified before Congress. Cook's celebrity status even garnered him an appearance on Stephen Colbert's "Late Show" last September.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    Probably Tim asked Pope to bless economy so people's finances are good and continue buying Apple products they love. In return, Tim gave Pope iPad pro gift for easy communication with followers and God.
  • Reply 2 of 33
    The pope is Liberal and so is Tim Cook so I'm sure it was a good meeting. Probably discussed global warming.
    SpamSandwichtallest skil
  • Reply 3 of 33
    The pope is Liberal and so is Tim Cook so I'm sure it was a good meeting. Probably discussed global warming.
    Yeah, I doubt they got into a deep theological discussion.  :D
  • Reply 4 of 33
    "has revealed that the Holy See met with Apple Chief" - the Holy See is a place (i.e. the Vatican City State) not a person - it can't "meet" with anyone!
    bobroogatorguy
  • Reply 5 of 33
    Asking for divine intervention in Tuesday's earnings announcement.
  • Reply 6 of 33
    kpluckkpluck Posts: 500member
    The Pope told him it was a mortal sin to reduce the SSD portion of the 1TB Fusion drive. Enjoy the eternal heat Mr. Cook!  ;)

-kpluck
    ibillradarthekatSpamSandwichcornchipmuppetry
  • Reply 7 of 33
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Err, ummm, Tuesday’s announcement will be staggeringly, massively positive. That’s a fact. The current hand wringing and stock drop is about next quarter, not the one to be reported on the 26th. You do understand that don’t you?
    chuygbpalomine
  • Reply 8 of 33
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    Friday: Meeting with Apple CEO
    Saturday: Vatican Breakfast with Visiting Bishops
    Sunday: Mass at Vatican Square
    Cold Day in Hell: Meeting with Samsung CEO

drewys808calipalomine
  • Reply 9 of 33
    sog35 said:
    This is the kind of CRAP that really pisses me off.

So Tim Cook has the time to fly all the way to Italy to meet with the Pope. How the hell does that help the company or shareholders? He waste his time on this crap.

Yet Cook has no time to address supply chain rumors that have been festering for almost TWO MONTHS!  Shareholders and employees and retirees have lost over $250 billion in wealth because of these supply chain rumors have been allowed to spread unchecked. Pisses me off.  Mr Cook please spend your time doing what we are paying you $100,000,000 a year for: protect Apple's image and name. Stop allowing the media to drag the company Steve Jobs died for to be pissed on and constantly debased.

Mr Cook, you have the honor to be the CEO of the most powerful and most important company in the history of man. Yet you allow rumors and lies from the media and your competitors to paint a picture that Apple is on the verge of bankruptcy (companies with a PE of 7 usually have one foot in the grave). You have allowed the media to spread lies that Apple has peaked and will only corrode to an also ran. 
    Hey Dude--

I wrote here on Tuesday that I found it upsetting our CEO was doing the work of a PTO and pounding nails to create park benches for the underprivileged children of San Jose, CA---all in the name Martin Luther King. At least one fellow poster said the reason he didn't go to an actual underprivileged  school in an African American community is because it would have taken too long to get there.

I wonder how that poster feels about Tim traveling half way across the globe?

I wonder how much longer it will take for Appleinsiders to realize that these actions are done for Tim's personal benefit and not the shareholders?
  • Reply 10 of 33
    sog35 said:

So Tim Cook has the time to fly all the way to Italy to meet with the Pope. How the hell does that help the company or shareholders? He waste his time on this crap.

Yet Cook has no time to address supply chain rumors that have been festering for almost TWO MONTHS!  Shareholders and employees and retirees have lost over $250 billion in wealth because of these supply chain rumors have been allowed to spread unchecked. Pisses me off.  Mr Cook please spend your time doing what we are paying you $100,000,000 a year for: protect Apple's image and name.
    Wow, there's so much ignorance in this post it's hard to know where to start, but: Cook was already in Europe to meet with the head of the EC regarding the Ireland tax situation -- so doing exactly what you claim he should be doing. Second, you have no idea what the Pope and Cook talked about. Could have been something like talking about where tech donations would do the most good, or discussing how to modernize the Vatican systems -- or maybe the Pope is a secret Roll Tide fan, who knows. Point is, you definitely don't. Third, you do know that the stock market goes up or down (and these days, mostly down) completely without manipulation by Apple or Cook, right? Oh wait, probably you don't. You're probably a day trader who needs AAPL to fund your retirement within the next six weeks or you won't be able to pay bills. Finally, Cook doesn't make $100M a year -- his salary is $10M. He gets stock option bonuses that MAY be worth a huge amount of money LATER (though at the moment, not worth as much as the once were, and not that you'd have a clue what stock options are but hint: not free money) but one look at the balance sheet would suggest he earns every penny and then some.
    singularitymuppetrynetroxpalomine
  • Reply 11 of 33
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    sog35 said:

Yet Cook has no time to address supply chain rumors that have been festering for almost TWO MONTHS!  Shareholders and employees and retirees have lost over $250 billion in wealth because of these supply chain rumors have been allowed to spread unchecked. Pisses me off.  Mr Cook please spend your time doing what we are paying you $100,000,000 a year for: protect Apple's image and name. Stop allowing the media to drag the company Steve Jobs died for to be pissed on and constantly debased.

Mr Cook, you have the honor to be the CEO of the most powerful and most important company in the history of man. Yet you allow rumors and lies from the media and your competitors to paint a picture that Apple is on the verge of bankruptcy (companies with a PE of 7 usually have one foot in the grave). You have allowed the media to spread lies that Apple has peaked and will only corrode to an also ran. 
    Have patience. Supply chain rumors will be addressed as a side effect of earnings announcement. Media does best spreading rumors on both sides. Media has to survive.
  • Reply 12 of 33
    They will be discussing the new Popemobile aka "Project Titan".
    cornchip
  • Reply 13 of 33
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Or the Alphabet?
  • Reply 14 of 33
    sog35 said:

All I was asking Tim Cook to do was [blah blah blah]
    I'm reasonably sure that Tim Cook has a million better things to do than listen to what *you* want him to do.
    singularitymuppetrycali
  • Reply 15 of 33
    lkrupp said:
    Err, ummm, Tuesday’s announcement will be staggeringly, massively positive. That’s a fact. The current hand wringing and stock drop is about next quarter, not the one to be reported on the 26th. You do understand that don’t you?
    Yes, I was joking.
    calipscooter63
  • Reply 16 of 33

Pope Francis had an audience today with Mr Timothy Donald Cook, Apple CEO.
    singularitycogitodexter
  • Reply 17 of 33
    sog35 said:
    lkrupp said:
    AT this point Apple is better off deferring Billions in Dec revenue and saving it for March quarter.

I think Apple could actually do this if they split their revenue between software and hardware on the iPhone. They could actually spread the software portion of the iPhone revenue over 2 years.

$300 hardware revenue - 100% revenue in quarter sold
    $350 software revenue - revenue split over 24 months.

That way Apple could have spread over the massive revenue growth from the iPhone6 over 2 year period.  So instead of a 30% revenue growth last year it would be only 20% growth last year and then 10% this year.  Which looks better to Wall Street?

Option A
    2015 revenue growth 30%
    2016 revenue growth 2%

or 

Option B
    2015 revenue growth 20%
    2016 revenue growth 12%

This is the type of high level accounting that i feel Apple lacks right now. The CFO and Cook should have know the iPhone6 cycle would be a ridiculous explosion. They should have spread out that explosion over 2 years.  Also spliting iPhone revenue between hardware and software will show the true nature of the company. Apple is not a hardware company. They are an intergrated hardware, software, services and life style company.
    Apple already defers revenue, ala:
    http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2015/10/28/3-things-you-missed-from-apple-inc-earnings-1-of-w.aspx
    This is largely governed not so much by Monday morning quarterbacking, but by international accounting rules:
    http://www.wsj.com/articles/for-new-revenue-recognition-rules-its-ready-vs-not-1422316175

palomine
  • Reply 18 of 33
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Oh God. I can actually see this turning into doom articles.

sog35 said:
    Give me a break.

All I was asking Tim Cook to do was to tweet out something or send an email to Cramer. That would literally take 5 minutes. Visting the Pope takes much longer.

In 2010 as the COO Tim Cook made $60 million. After stock awards, bonus, ect Tim Cook will make close to $100 million a year.

I'm not a day trader. I hold Apple stock since 2012. I'm sorry I didn't have stock since 2007 but I'm not that old.

Again I have ZERO problem with Cook visiting the Pope, pounding nails at a school. But if he does not take time to defend the Apple name by doing a simple tweet or email I will find fault with him 'wasting' his time on things that are way less important. 
    ...and some moron said I post the same shit every article...

Soggy, just wait 'til January 26. Tim will address everything there.
  • Reply 19 of 33
    sog35 said:
    cali said:
    Oh God. I can actually see this turning into doom articles.

...and some moron said I post the same shit every article...

Soggy, just wait 'til January 26. Tim will address everything there.
    I wish it was that easy.  Sure Tim Cook will address every thing about the December quarter but the Media a-holes will just say the supply checks for the March quarter is weak.

Hell, some a-hole analyst was asking Tim Cook about weak March quarter sales DURING THE OCTOBER CONFERENCE CALL!  I'm pretty sure some jackass will ask about June iPhone weakness if March guidance is strong.
    I think it was terrible that no press release of encouragement came from the worlds largest company when the markets fell earlier in the week.

I think that is poor leadership.
  • Reply 20 of 33
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,415member
    Seriously, why does it have to be about his sexuality? Tim Cook and the Pope had a meeting and it could be ANYTHING and I doubt his sexual orientation is something they'd talk about. 
    cogitodexter