Rumor: Apple's new 4-inch handset will be called 'iPhone 5se'

Posted:
in iPhone
Apple's new, smaller iPhone model expected to launch in the coming months will be a "special edition" version of the iPhone 5s, and will accordingly be named the "iPhone 5se," a new rumor claims.

Citing unnamed sources, 9to5mac reported on Friday that "iPhone 5se" is the expected name for the heavily rumored new 4-inch iPhone. Internally, the device is said to be known by codename "N69."

Most of the other details reported Friday -- including expectations of curved edges and support for Apple Pay -- were already reported last year. But in one small, new wrinkle, it was claimed that the "iPhone 5se" will include support for capturing Live Photos, giving the 4-inch handset a leg up over the year-old iPhone 6.

Aside from that, the device is expected to have many of the same components as the iPhone 6, including an A8 processor, 8-megapixel camera, and an NFC chip for Apple Pay. The device is rumored to come in color options of space gray, silver, gold, and rose gold.

In addition, the "iPhone 5se" is expected to feature a 4-inch Retina display largely identical to the panel found on the currently available iPhone 5s. In line with earlier reports, the display is not expected to feature pressure sensitive 3D Touch input.

Until now, the rumor mill has referred to the anticipated device as an "iPhone 6c," borrowing a naming convention Apple adopted for the iPhone 5c. But that lineup used the letter "c" to refer to the array of colors available, made possible because of the plastic backing Apple opted to use.

Unlike the iPhone 5c, however, it's expected that the new 4-inch iPhone will sport a metal enclosure, giving it a more premium feel to stand alongside the iPhone 6s and iPhone 6 series.

Reports have claimed Apple is planning to hold a keynote presentation this quarter to unveil new products. Recent rumors have suggested a second-generation Apple Watch will not be on tap for that event, instead debuting later in 2016.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 76
    In the naming tradition of the Apple //e and the Macintosh SE...iPhone 5se!
    chiacornchip
  • Reply 2 of 76
    Great... iPhone 5s is the best iPhone design yet, a legacy of Steve Jobs. If iPhone 5s is a business-class design, iPhone 6 series is a student-class design. In order to make the screen larger, they removed all the eye-catching features of the design and came-up with a smashed chewing-gum looking mediocre design...

iPhone 5se will be the flagship iPhone just like the iPad Mini which is the flagship iPad.
    asdasd1983stevietyler82
  • Reply 3 of 76
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    All these rumors are ridiculous. 

The logical name would be 6C. Or 6-something. But 5-something doesn't make any sense. 
    tallest skilcalitenlycornchipanton zuykov
  • Reply 4 of 76
    The phone is real but that name is too stupid to be legit. 
    tallest skilcaliasdasdtenlymr oRayz2016
  • Reply 5 of 76
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,007member
    Great... iPhone 5s is the best iPhone design yet, a legacy of Steve Jobs. If iPhone 5s is a business-class design, iPhone 6 series is a student-class design. In order to make the screen larger, they removed all the eye-catching features of the design and came-up with a smashed chewing-gum looking mediocre design...

iPhone 5se will be the flagship iPhone just like the iPad Mini which is the flagship iPad.
    You're nuts. The 6s is an incredible design and feels incredible in your hand.
    chiatenlythepixeldocnolamacguy
  • Reply 6 of 76
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member

Indeed the 5S is the most beautiful to me too. 
    Imagine a 5S with an OLED display and no wallpaper : a black monolith, perfection. 

Written on my 5S. 
    edited January 2016 calicornchip1983tyler82
  • Reply 7 of 76
    So now, like with my old Mac SE, I can scratch an "X" at the end of the name.
    Well, I could if I was still in my early 20s.

Hmmm.  Maybe that is who this phone appeals to?
    cali
  • Reply 8 of 76
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    5se? Not bad. I like the bigger ones but I also applaud offering choice within reason.

For shear aesthetics I'm still admiring the 4s. Gorgeous, IMHO.
    edited January 2016
  • Reply 9 of 76
    I'm not buying into this for one minute!  How stupid would it be to take everything inside a iPhone 6 and give it a name that's now 2 years old. Talk about confusing people who want the latest edition in a smaller form factor. So each Apple employee has to stop and explain the number "5" has nothing to do with it?  This is in fact an iPhone 6 mini but we used a number from 2 years ago which next year will probably be retired anyway?  Nope. Even Apple wouldn't be that stupid. I believe there will be a 4" model but there's no way they're going to slap a "5" anywhere near it. To the lay person they would just buy the 4" Samsung because at least it has a 6 in the name. Who comes up with the crap?
    bobschlobwebweaselcali
  • Reply 10 of 76
    The source site also mentions that the chamfered edges of 5s will be gone, a minus, but hopefully this will be compensated by the lack of the horrible plastic bands decorating the back of the 6 series.
  • Reply 11 of 76
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    razormaid said:
    I'm not buying into this for one minute!  How stupid would it be to take everything inside a iPhone 6 and give it a name that's now 2 years old. Talk about confusing people who want the latest edition in a smaller form factor. So each Apple employee has to stop and explain the number "5" has nothing to do with it?  This is in fact an iPhone 6 mini but we used a number from 2 years ago which next year will probably be retired anyway?  Nope. Even Apple wouldn't be that stupid. I believe there will be a 4" model but there's no way they're going to slap a "5" anywhere near it. To the lay person they would just buy the 4" Samsung because at least it has a 6 in the name. Who comes up with the crap?
    Stop with the 'being logical' stuff.  ;)
  • Reply 12 of 76
    C could stand for 'compact', so I think 6c would be sensible as it shares a processor with the other 6 series phones.
  • Reply 13 of 76
    Aside from that, the device is expected to have many of the same components as the iPhone 6, including an A8 processor, 8-megapixel camera, and an NFC chip for Apple Pay. The device is rumored to come in color options of space gray, silver, gold, and rose gold.
    Hey, aren't those the colors Samsung pioneered??
  • Reply 14 of 76
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    I don't like any offerings from Apple in 4"ers as that will make me spend $ for 4 out of 5 people in my home for upgrade. They are happy with their 4S/5S and has no issue or complain. Now they will compare and complain. Hope Apple will delay for another year or so..Push the expenses further down.
  • Reply 15 of 76
    chiachia Posts: 713member
    Here's a thought, why doesn't Apple merely call it an iPhone 6 especially as it's rumoured to have iPhone 6 internals anyway?
    Apple distinguishes the larger iPhone 6 size by referring to it as the 6 Plus so why not refer to this new model as the 6 mini?
    This will keep in line with Apple's current convention with the iPad and iPad Mini.

I recall Steve Jobs intensely disliked the idea of products having long cryptic alphanumerics as their model names.  I think he felt that it seemed clumsy, inelegant and helps to confuse the consumer.  Apple appears to still hold that view.

Naming a new 4 inch iPhone as the iPhone 5se suggests a return to this alphabet soup of naming.
    Just compare the names of Macintosh computers before and after his return as CEO at Apple:
    Before his return we had IIfx, Iici, Quadra 9600, 9500, Performa 5200, 5300, Powerbook 1400, 2300 etc etc.
    After his return we had Powerbook, iBook, PowerMac G4, MacBook, Mac Pro, iMac.

• Reply 16 of 76
    Mr_GreyMr_Grey Posts: 118member
    The thing that's weird about the 9to5Mac article though is that it starts off by categorically saying that the video of the small iPhone from yesterday is "False."  Then it goes on to describe a phone that if it existed, would actually look EXACTLY like the video from yesterday (An iPhone 5s but with rounded metal edges like the iPhone 6).  Which is it?  
  • Reply 17 of 76
    chia said:
    Naming a new 4 inch iPhone as the iPhone 5se suggests a return to this alphabet soup of naming.
    Just compare the names of Macintosh computers before and after his return as CEO at Apple:
    Before his return we had IIfx, Iici, Quadra 9600, 9500, Performa 5200, 5300, Powerbook 1400, 2300 etc etc.
    After his return we had Powerbook, iBook, PowerMac G4, MacBook, Mac Pro, iMac.

And we still have... iPhone? That's what it is written on the back of the device. The customer still look for the "iPhone", with small, large and larger screen...
  • Reply 18 of 76
    Mr_GreyMr_Grey Posts: 118member
    sog35 said:
    IMO, Apple should stop making iPhone6s and just sell the iPhone6. This will move more people to buy the iPhone7.
    The level of nonsense in your post is very high indeed, but this takes the prize I think.  

The iPhone 6s is not only a completely different phone than the iPhone 6, it's far better.  It's faster, it's stronger, it has more features, it has a better screen ... the list goes on and on.  The difference between an iPhone 6s and an iPhone 6 is probably the biggest difference between a regular and an "s" series of any model of Apple's iPhones yet made.  

The idea that they should stop selling it in favour of the old model, (and then introduce it back again a year later anyway?), is just insane nonsense.  
    radarthekat
  • Reply 19 of 76

Yeah ... except the phone as described will actually look almost the same as an iPhone 6 and not an iPhone 5 (despite the name).  It's described right in the article as losing most of the design elements of the iPhone 5, and gaining the rounded corners and antenna lines of the iPhone 6.  Also, the term "business class design" is meaningless and made up.  

Steve Jobs is dead, and if he weren't, he would tell you to look forward and not back.  
    edited January 2016 chia
  • Reply 20 of 76
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    razormaid said:
    I agree. The only way this is true, is if there are two 4" phones. A low budget replacement for the 5S, which will be offered alongside a larger 6S with the same chipset, and a higher end 4" 6S variant. Otherwise, Apple is going to be leaving a lot of money on the table from wealthier customers who could afford to buy the iPhone 7, but will opt for the least expensive option if that's the only 4" available. Given the specs being discussed, that would be enough to satisfy most. So if true I'd expect a line-up like this:

6 $450
    "5se" $500
    6S $550
    "6c" $600
    6S Plus $650
    7 $650
    7 Plus $750

So instead of offering the Plus as an entry level phone, they maintain it as a premium phone, but expand the smaller handsets on the budget and mid-tier levels with lost of over-lap in the middle to maximize their take from all customers.
    edited January 2016