AT&T CEO says US encryption policy is up to Congress, not Apple

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 73
    crowley said:
    Borderdog said:
    Let's get to the heart of this whole discussion.

One of Benjamin Franklin's most famous quotes: 
    Is there some kind of Godwin's law equivalent about how long a tech discussion will go on before this facile quote gets wheeled out?
    Statistics say that you put your hand over your heart in sentimental tribute to the great might and wonder and heritage that is the Glorious United States of America, World Police, Benevolent Distributor of Democracy (and bombs), and Almighty God-Sanctioned Land of the Bravely Ignorant and Home of the Freely Oppressed. And you want to chide someone who heralds the memory of the people who made this country something which, at least at some point in its short history, was worthy of any kind of notable tribute? 

Facile, indeed.
    tallest skil
  • Reply 62 of 73
    macwise said:
    Statistics say that you put your hand over your heart in sentimental tribute to the great might and wonder and heritage that is the Glorious United States of America...
    You’ll have to excuse crowley. Britons don’t have any rights in their own country, so they get confused when we get upset at having ours taken away.
  • Reply 63 of 73
    macwise said:
    Statistics say that you put your hand over your heart in sentimental tribute to the great might and wonder and heritage that is the Glorious United States of America...
    You’ll have to excuse crowley. Britons don’t have any rights in their own country, so they get confused when we get upset at having ours taken away.
    I suppose crowley can feel free to exchange references to the US with references to the UK.  After all, the queens bombs are every bit as formidable as ours.
  • Reply 64 of 73
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    macwise said:
    You know nothing.
  • Reply 65 of 73
    macwise said:
    crowley said:
    Is there some kind of Godwin's law equivalent about how long a tech discussion will go on before this facile quote gets wheeled out?
    Statistics say that you put your hand over your heart in sentimental tribute to the great might and wonder and heritage that is the Glorious United States of America, World Police, Benevolent Distributor of Democracy (and bombs), and Almighty God-Sanctioned Land of the Bravely Ignorant and Home of the Freely Oppressed. And you want to chide someone who heralds the memory of the people who made this country something which, at least at some point in its short history, was worthy of any kind of notable tribute? 

Facile, indeed.
    I don't understand this post.  Statistics say I do what?  Those statistics are wrong.

I'm not chiding someone for honouring the past, I'm commenting that a particular quote almost always gets brought up in such discussions, almost independently of relevance, and it adds nothing to the conversation.
  • Reply 66 of 73
    crowley said:
    You know nothing.
    lol, Rotherham.
  • Reply 67 of 73
    crowley said:
    You know nothing.
    lol, Rotherham.
    lol, a town in Northern England not far from where some of my family live.  What's your point?  I'm sure it's a good one, eminently relevant to your original assertion, as always.
    edited January 2016
  • Reply 68 of 73
    crowley said:
    I'm sure it's a good one, eminently relevant to your original assertion, as always.
    About the rights of Britons? Oh, indeed.
  • Reply 69 of 73
    crowley said:
    I'm sure it's a good one, eminently relevant to your original assertion, as always.
    About the rights of Britons? Oh, indeed.
    Thanks for sharing, and for this entirely necessary distraction.
  • Reply 70 of 73
    crowley said:
    Well, you’re a Briton. And you don’t give a fuck about protecting against unlawful search and seizure. Which is what the thread is discussing. Which comes from your complete lack of personal rights. Which comes from your totalitarian government’s theft thereof.

So less ‘distraction’, more ‘pay attention, please’.
  • Reply 71 of 73
    crowley said:
    Well, you’re a Briton. And you don’t give a fuck about protecting against unlawful search and seizure. Which is what the thread is discussing. Which comes from your complete lack of personal rights. Which comes from your totalitarian government’s theft thereof.

Since my Britishness and British laws has precisely nothing to do with US encryption policy then I'd very much say this is a distraction, exactly the type that is your want, interjecting attempts at nationalistic slurs where they have no place, especially against Britain, which seems to be your favourite hang up.  I've commented on that before; it's weird and you're a weird person.  Moreover, I'm dying to hear your explanation of how I was supposed to derive that broad and unsubstantiated comment about my personal belief (entirely false, by the way, but that's to be expected from you) from "lol, Rotherham"?  You might subscribe to a paranoid groupthink, but British people tend to have wide ranging beliefs about the world and the law.

Beyond the personal, Britain certainly does not have a lack of personal rights.  Quite the contrary we have a longstanding Bill Of Rights, that the US Bill Of Rights was modelled on.  You have no idea what you're talking about.  In practice, living up to those rights are challenging and face problems of implementation in the face of the real world, just as US laws do, but they are very much there.  I have no idea what you're basing this absurd and false slur on, it certainly isn't truth.  Indeed, to borrow one of your own favourite (misused) words, you are definitionally wrong.  

Also, since you love definitions so much, you really need to look up totalitarianism.  You don't seem to have the slightest clue what it means.

Pay attention please.
    edited January 2016
  • Reply 72 of 73
    crowley said:

Since my Britishness and British laws has precisely nothing to do with US encryption policy then I'd very much say this is a distraction, 
    http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/22/world/europe/apple-pushes-against-british-talk-of-softening-encryption.html?_r=0

Come on. You don't honestly think legal issues aren't closely modeled and linked among western nations (especially UK and US) do you?  Can you honestly not see precedent crosses the pond all the time?
    edited January 2016
  • Reply 73 of 73

crowley said:
    macwise said:

Facile, indeed.
    I don't understand this post.  Statistics say I do what?  Those statistics are wrong.

I'm not chiding someone for honouring the past, I'm commenting that a particular quote almost always gets brought up in such discussions, almost independently of relevance, and it adds nothing to the conversation.
    Tell me how a direct violation of the individual's right to privacy and autonomy FROM the government in the supposed name of safety is an irrelevant topic in which to bring up the topic of...DING DING DING: Liberty vs. safety.