Apple to launch 4" iPhone and iPad Air 3 in first half of 2016, analyst says

Comments

• Reply 21 of 44
    The high side guidance from Apple is not 77.5m iPhones, it is 77.5 billion in revenue, Apple does not give guidance for individual products. Street estimates are for just above the 75m iPhones of last year, so 77.5 m would be a beat. Street estimates for rev. in the q are 76.5b. The problem WS sees for Apple is the channel fill, so I would look at channel fill and, of course, guidance for the March quarter.
    anantksundaram
  • Reply 22 of 44
    smalmsmalm Posts: 677member
    The mini got updated last fall so it's not been neglected. 
    The mini just got those updates it should have received one year before.

Give us the Air with an A9X and the mini with an A9 and we're talking about an up-to-date iPad line-up. Finally...
  • Reply 23 of 44
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Mr_Grey said:

An iPad Air 3 with an A9X CPU will be a very compelling machine. 
    No.  Any new iPads that don't have pencil support will be poor sellers at best.  

The best outlook for iPad sales would be if they managed to get ForceTouch and pencil support not only in the iPad Air 3, but in the iPad mini 4.  It looks like they will be neglecting the iPad mini again by this report, but if the iPad Air 3 doesn't have it, all we will be hearing is reviews on why it didn't, or why anyone would buy the new iPad since it's only slightly different from the current one.  

Apple really needs to move forward here and they will look stupid if they don't.  An iPad Air 3 that's microscopically smaller, thinner or with slightly better cameras or slightly better speed isn't going to cut it.  Remember that the iPad Air 2 is hardly any different from the iPad Air 1 already.  More of the same is not an option here.   
    YES! Let's make all iPads exactly the same!! GENIUS!!

............. :|
  • Reply 24 of 44
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    An iPad Air 3 with an A9X CPU will be a very compelling machine. 
    And Pencil support.
    What about Pencil Mini? Lol
    cornchip
  • Reply 25 of 44
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    bobschlob said:
    If they come out with a dumbed-down version of a smaller form factor phone, they will have shot themselves in the foot.
    Full-on, full featured, full specced iPhone Mini.
    If not, we nuke the entire site from orbit. {it's the only way to be sure}
    Did they shoot themselves in the foot with 5c? 
  • Reply 26 of 44
    smalm said:
    The mini got updated last fall so it's not been neglected. 
    The mini just got those updates it should have received one year before.

Give us the Air with an A9X and the mini with an A9 and we're talking about an up-to-date iPad line-up. Finally...
    They're not going to update the mini in March when it was just updated last September. Anyone who thinks iPads should be on a 6 month cycle is nuts.
    cornchipwilliamlondon
  • Reply 26 of 44
    I continue to believe that because the early iPads (iPad 2, 3) were robust and continually received the new iterations of iOS each year, many customers in the apple tent did not need to upgrade to the Air models. I have both of the iPads that I mentioned and an iPad mini (first gen) all running iOS 9.2.1 that have served me well and proven to be adequate, thus negating the need to upgrade every year. I also enjoy having the latest and greatest. I WILL be up the evening of pre-order for an iPad Air 3. Regardless of its features..., it is now that my iPad refresh cycle will roll over.  I'm betting that the iPad Air 3 does everything I really need it to for at least a 4 year period. Thanks Apple!
    cornchip
  • Reply 28 of 44
    Isn't this the "same 4-inch iPhone is coming" rumor with "According to Ming-chi Kuo," prepended to it?
  • Reply 29 of 44
    cali said:
    YES! Let's make all iPads exactly the same!! GENIUS!! ….......... :|
    Why not? Lack of feature parity in simultaneous product releases has always annoyed me. There’s no real sense in having Pencil support on the tiny iPad, but they may as well.
  • Reply 30 of 44
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    fallenjt said:
    bobschlob said:
    If they come out with a dumbed-down version of a smaller form factor phone, they will have shot themselves in the foot.
    Not even remotely relevant. Your question should be "did they shoot themselves with the 5s?"
    No they didn't. it was a Full-on, full featured, full specced 4" iPhone of that time.
  • Reply 31 of 44
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    The 5 was available in Slate (black), as was the 2012 iPad Mini but it chipped/scratched off, so they switched to Space Gray with the 5s and switch Slate for SG in the old Mini. The 5s is still the darkest, though IMO the 6s went darker than the 6 did.
    Interesting. I guess I didn't realize that. Just googled it and the 5 case is sexy. I wonder if it can be swapped with the 5S case easily?
  • Reply 32 of 44
    steviestevie Posts: 956member
    Apple is at the point where they can just keep iterating existing products and still ship lots of profits to Wall Street.  Sweet!
  • Reply 33 of 44
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    KBuffett said:
    I want BLACK iOS devices. I don't like any of my Space Grey devices (which seem to get getting lighter in shade with every new release).
    I agree. It makes no sense for Apple to not offer the black, which, if I am not mistaken, has been a part of every iteration of the iPhone through the 5S. I feel that the 6's form factor would have been beautiful in shiny black.
    Matte black please.  The screen gets enough fingerprints without the chassis getting covered in therm too.
  • Reply 34 of 44
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    If the 4" iPhone is coming with iPhone 7, it think it make sense to have 2GB, Since the whole range of Phones, iPhone 7, 6s and the 5se will all have at least 2GB memory, and all be 64Bit SoC.

iOS 10 will be the time to phase out 32bit iOS.

But if it is coming in March, the 5se will have more memory then the still selling iPhone 6.

Another scenario is Apple will discontinue the iPhone 6 in March / April. Why? Some report are suggesting a lot more people are buying the iPhone 6 rather then 6s. It is more affordable now after the discount, and they like the screen size. iPhone 6 is less profitable then 6s, so Apple may as well give slightly discount on the iPhone 6s instead*.

* Apple traditionally allow iPhone discount close to the end cycle through 3rd party retailers. So this time it is slightly earlier.
  • Reply 35 of 44
    Mr_GreyMr_Grey Posts: 118member
    Mr_Grey said:
    This sounds like the iPad mini is going to get the shaft again.  The most popular tablet they sell and yet they keep leaving it behind all the others in specs.  

It makes you wonder who exactly is in charge at Apple and what they are doing.  They haven't managed to launch a full slate of products in a given year for many years now.  I wonder if it occurs to them to actually just hire more people or work a bit harder instead of just falling behind year after year after year. 
    What do you mean? The mini got a full update last year while the Air got nothing. And since Apple doesn't provide iPad sales by model how do you know the mini is the most popular? The mini will probably never have the same SOC as the Air but so what, there may be thermal/battery reasons plus there's no evidence the mini is a slouch at anything.
    I mean that the mini is typically ignored in the upgrade cycle.  We did get a reasonable update with the last model, but only after a two year gap of basically nothing at all.  The (iPad mini 3 doesn't even count as it was a bad joke and quickly removed from sale in any case).  

The Air got nothing because it had been updated more recently.  The regular sized iPad has also had some fairly serious changes in it's design whereas the mini is basically the same device all these years later.  It's gotten a bit thinner, but the design is the same, the bezels are the same, etc.  

I don't have sales figures I can quote for you but the iPad mini was hailed on it's arrival as the most popular and fastest selling iPad of all time.  It continues to sell well and an article on this site recently discussed how it was the most popular device in the iPad line-up.  

It might be more fair to say that they seem to be moving towards an "update the iPad one year, update the iPad mini the other year," kind of thing, especially if the rumour of an iPad Air update at the upcoming event turns out to be true.  

I actually don't care about the particular SoC inside (it's as meaningless to me as it is to the majority of Apple's customers), as long as it gets the job done.  It's just frustrating that the mini (being as it's so popular) has to typically wait an extra year to get the stuff that Apple thinks up for the "regular" iPad.  The innovation always trickles down to the mini, but always later.  It's the poor cousin of the original in every way.    
  • Reply 36 of 44
    Don't know about you guys but the Q2 estimate of 43 million scares the pants off of me.  

His track record is not bad, even though last year this is what he predicted:

KGI: Apple to sell over 71M iPhones in holiday quarter, followed by sub-50M to start 2015

The result last year in Q2 was 61 million, not sub 50 million.  Let's hope he screwed-up again.   This year for Q1 he started off low and raised his estimates recently.

• Reply 37 of 44
    "Tepid Demand" for a 4 inch??
    what are they smoking? Over a third of 5 and 5s users in the U.S. Have not upgraded to a 6.

hmmm 
    why??

BECAUSE THEY LIKE THE SIZE.

apple will sell 30 million of them right off the bat as these are off contract users. Too bad the stock is in the hands of the big traders who love to bashor

one day....a tax holiday or 3% dividend.
    tallest skilpscooter63
  • Reply 38 of 44
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    "Tepid Demand" for a 4 inch??
    what are they smoking? Over a third of 5 and 5s users in the U.S. Have not upgraded to a 6.

hmmm 
    why??

BECAUSE THEY LIKE THE SIZE.

apple will sell 30 million of them right off the bat as these are off contract users. Too bad the stock is in the hands of the big traders who love to bashor

one day....a tax holiday or 3% dividend.

• Reply 39 of 44
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    The comments in the article about the iPhone 7 remind me of the Peggy Lee song, "Is That All There Is?"
    Let's hope the iPhone 7 will be more inspiring then this article suggests.
    edited January 2016
  • Reply 40 of 44
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    fallenjt said:
    bobschlob said:
    It was discontinued.