Microsoft Surface blamed for NFL football playoffs meltdown

Comments

• Reply 41 of 218
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    "Struggling product" Who wrote this? Surface products are selling like hotcakes. Your example of how Surface failed was Surface RT. Yes, RT was an objective failure, however the x86 implementations of Surface have been resounding commercial successes. The fact that you use this as an example shows that you are either hideously biased, or don't know what you're writing about. Plus you're going to quote NFL players and coaches on technology issues? What do they know? If it's a network or server issue the same thing would happen with any device. If you're not going to be objective or knowledgeable, don't be a journalist.

Do you have a SHRED of evidence for anything you've just said? Selling like hotcakes you say? Ok, provide us some sales figures for this "resounding commercial success". Cause I haven't seen any. I know you're a microsoft shill, but stop being full of shit. 
    edited January 2016 calinemoeacronnanton zuykovanantksundaramargonautnolamacguypscooter63
  • Reply 42 of 218
    tenlytenly Posts: 710member
    troit said:
    Look at the iPad Pro. If you buy that, you are an idiot who has no idea what productivity means.
    I guess I can’t comment, because mine was a gift, so the work I do with it I guess doesn’t count as being productive.

Or maybe you’re just a lunatic troll, like any of the thousands we’ve seen before, whose physical and digital genitals are psychologically bolstered in size by pretending to tear down people who are infinitely better than you simply because you couldn’t afford what they have.
    LOL!  It wasn't enough for me to just click the "Like" button on this one....

I agree with every word you wrote and commend you for the eloquence with which you delivered it.  Somebody needs to call out these imbecile trolls so that casual readers don't mistakenly buy into any of their crap.
    calinemoeacmwhiteanton zuykovradarthekatnolamacguy
  • Reply 43 of 218
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
  • Reply 44 of 218
    slurpy said:
    "Struggling product" Who wrote this? Surface products are selling like hotcakes. Your example of how Surface failed was Surface RT. Yes, RT was an objective failure, however the x86 implementations of Surface have been resounding commercial successes. The fact that you use this as an example shows that you are either hideously biased, or don't know what you're writing about. Plus you're going to quote NFL players and coaches on technology issues? What do they know? If it's a network or server issue the same thing would happen with any device. If you're not going to be objective or knowledgeable, don't be a journalist.

Do you have a SHRED of evidence for anything you've just said? Selling like hotcakes you say? Ok, provide us some sales figures for this "resounding commercial success". Cause I haven't seen any. I know you're a microsoft shill, but stop being full of shit. 
    There you go. http://www.theverge.com/2015/4/23/8484267/microsoft-earnings-report-q3-2015. They recorded 713M in revenue for the surface line in Q3 2015. Sure, they aren't "apple" revenue numbers, but no one has "apple" revenue numbers besides apple. The surface line might not sell as well as iPad, but it definitely isn't struggling. Quit flinging around insults, I find it very hard to take you seriously if you have to result to calling me a "shill" and "full of shit". 
    edited January 2016 rAI16cnocbuirevenant
  • Reply 45 of 218
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    tezgno said:

bobschlob said:

Stop your whining. It wasn't two days ago that Apple was cited as using child labor to mine cobalt for it's batteries.
    I mean are you f'kin kidding me?!! Apple doesn't make batteries. Samsung makes batteries. Sony makes batteries. Apple is a consumer of third party batteries just like you and me.
    Foxconn puts up suicide nets because workers had threatened a "mass suicide" at the Xbox factory. (look it up).
    Wanna guess how that story got reported?? Go ahead... (hint: no mention of Microsoft)
    So don't come here with your boo-hoo-hoos about MS being bashed for what isn't "their problem".
    It's not whining... Ok, it's a bit whining, I'll give you that. Truthfully, it's called wanting to see good, accurate articles, something that the entire industry has moved away from. Unfortunately, these days, it's more about sensational tag lines, click bait, and viewership more so than accuracy. 
    FAIR GAME here. Don't play dumb, you can bet your ass this wouldn't have happened on Apple's watch.
    And you can bet IF this had happened with Apple there would be more than one article about the situation. It would have created a media frenzy just like all the other articles that flat out lie about Apple. This would have been bendgate all over again.

troit said:
    9 out of 10 sheep wont ACCEPT that it was a network issue. God forbid you go a day without needing validation about your Apple purchase.

I love Apple. Why? Because they figured out the world is full of idiots and are cashing in on it. Look at IOS. If IOS doesnt insult your intelligence, you too might be an idiot. Look at the iPad Pro. If you buy that, you are an idiot who has no idea what productivity means.

Statistics have shown android users to be dumb, poor and sexually desperate.
    http://macdailynews.com/2013/11/13/android-users-poorer-shorter-unhealthier-less-educated-far-less-charitable-than-apple-iphone-users/

Apple users are the richest and most educated people in the world.
    http://www.androidauthority.com/are-iphone-users-richer-better-educated-than-android-users-105032/

There goes your whole made up theory and I'd give up now before you make a bigger jackass of yourself.
    Go defend your iKnockoff elsewhere, loser.
    edited January 2016 tenlymwhiteanton zuykovnetmageargonaut
  • Reply 46 of 218
    troit said:
    tenly said:
    LOL!  It wasn't enough for me to just click the "Like" button on this one....

I agree with every word you wrote and commend you for the eloquence with which you delivered it.  Somebody needs to call out these imbecile trolls so that casual readers don't mistakenly buy into any of their crap.

But you'll buy into blatantly distorted articles like this? Says enough.

Get back in line sheep and go to bed. I guarantee you have a 9-5pm job tomorrow and a boss to serve.
    Your "guarantee" just serves to further display your ignorance.  If we could choose to live the life of anybody on the planet, I would choose to live mine (and so would you!).

You know - even if your opinions were right, and even the information you post about were accurate (they're not and its not); the way you express yourself - as a new member to a public forum - speaks volumes about your character.  You're abusive and arrogant and therefore don't have many friends.  You come here seeking attention - and congratulations - we've given you some!  But as far as I'm concerned, you can go back to your lonely life as I'm done interacting with you. 

Here's some free advice that could be a start at improving your life and maybe one day even making a friend (if you decide to take it...). Delete this account.  Make a new one.  Be nice to people - or at least polite.  Find an article that discusses something that interests you - and post your opinions - in a non-arrogant, non threatening and non-abusive way - and don't forget that others have valid opinions too - even if their opinions are different than yours!

Buh-bye!
    radarthekatnetmageargonautnolamacguy
  • Reply 47 of 218
    trout said:
    My device does 10x more.
    Cool! So that’s a quantifiable statement, is it? You can itemize a list that proves your device’s betterment?
    How is it a knock off??
    Stolen IP, stolen design, shoddier build quality. All the standard indicators.
    mwhiteargonautnolamacguydigiq
  • Reply 48 of 218
    slurpy said:

There you go. http://www.theverge.com/2015/4/23/8484267/microsoft-earnings-report-q3-2015. They recorded 713M in revenue for the surface line in Q3 2015. Sure, they aren't "apple" revenue numbers, but no one has "apple" revenue numbers besides apple. The surface line might not sell as well as iPad, but it definitely isn't struggling. Quit flinging around insults, I find it very hard to take you seriously if you have to result to calling me a "shill" and "full of shit". 

slurpy said:

Revenue does not equal profit.  You know that, right?
    Sales are up 44% over last year?  Wow!  That's not very impressive if they lose $5 per unit.  And even if they break even or make 10% profit per unit.  That's only about 70 million in profit.
    If the IPad Pro made 70 million in profit over a full year - do you think people would call it "a resounding success"?  LOL!

In any case - I'm just making up numbers.  I read the article you linked and I couldn't see any information that even suggested that the Surface is profitable.  Revenue itself is not an indicator of success.  Can you provide any evidence that MS is making a profit off of Surface sales?
    mwhitenetmageawilliams87argonautnolamacguy
  • Reply 49 of 218
    We all ought to simmer down. Let’s take this gif’s advice.

EDIT:
    Still not working, huh. No gifs here, eh. Wunderbar.
    edited January 2016
  • Reply 50 of 218
    birkobirko Posts: 60member
    tezgno said:
    While I can understand bashing the competition... unfortunately, this issue can't be blamed on the Microsoft Surface (or Microsoft at all). As has been reported on (and confirmed by) the NFL before, the issue has nothing to do with the Surface. Rather, it's the NFL's servers and application that went down (hence why it goes down across multiple teams at the same time). The tablet runs an application that connects to NFL servers and pulls in data including pictures, replay information, etc. It is that system that has been going down recently. To be honest, while Microsoft has paid a large sum of money for their tablets to be shown and used, the entire process is technically platform agnostic. They can run the application on anything. Unfortunately, it wouldn't matter which tablet they chose in these cases... if their servers are down, then there is nothing that can be done.
    Surely you could have duplicate copies of plays saved on the surface. Airplanes have their entire flight manuals on an iPad.
    mwhiteargonautwetlander
  • Reply 51 of 218
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,328member
    Just as embarrassing as the meltdown and ensuing scandal that was the big iPads in every classroom push with LA Unified, except those were children and this was a bunch of millionaires running into each other. Funny how things work out sometimes, huh?
    It is especially funny considering that Apple didn't pay LA Unified to use their product. Even If Surface wasn't the reason for the failure during the game, MS and the NFL were unprepared for a data link failure, and both should suffer the consequences, just as Apple has with major failures during past Keynotes. One would think that there would at least be a fallback plan to a local server as an equalizer for both teams, but that didn't happen evidently. Egg meet face.

As for Surface and the iPad Pro, I'm all for letting the numbers describe the success of each. iPad sales for the previous quarter will be known Tuesday after the stock markets close. Personally, I consider Surface a competitor to Apples notebook/laptop line, but MS want's to portray the Surface as a mobile device as well, which it is poorly suited in comparison to the iPad; bulk, limited battery life, lack of mobile (Universal) apps, and heavy reliance on unoptimized desktop applications are serious cons.

williamlondon
  • Reply 52 of 218
    birkobirko Posts: 60member
    tezgno said:
    bobschlob said:
    Aww gee golly gosh! I wonder what operating system is running those backend servers?
    Unix and Linux, actually. The NFL uses Rackspace for much of their infrastructure. And, further, the NFL just reported that the issue was actually caused by the Patriot's network going down.
    Question is, if they are being payed big bucks in sponsorship deals, can you automatically believe them when they say "It wasn't our sponsors fault."
  • Reply 53 of 218
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    birko said:
    tezgno said:
    While I can understand bashing the competition... unfortunately, this issue can't be blamed on the Microsoft Surface (or Microsoft at all). As has been reported on (and confirmed by) the NFL before, the issue has nothing to do with the Surface. Rather, it's the NFL's servers and application that went down (hence why it goes down across multiple teams at the same time). The tablet runs an application that connects to NFL servers and pulls in data including pictures, replay information, etc. It is that system that has been going down recently. To be honest, while Microsoft has paid a large sum of money for their tablets to be shown and used, the entire process is technically platform agnostic. They can run the application on anything. Unfortunately, it wouldn't matter which tablet they chose in these cases... if their servers are down, then there is nothing that can be done.
    Surely you could have duplicate copies of plays saved on the surface. Airplanes have their entire flight manuals on an iPad.
    Well you could, but you can't cache something that literally just happened. Like the last play. 
    netmage
  • Reply 54 of 218
    foadfoad Posts: 717member
    It might not be completely Microsoft's technical issue, but ultimately it doesn't matter. It's about perception. Look at the LA school district and the iPad roll out. It wasn't mostly Apple's fault but they sure got blamed for the district's incompetence. 

The latest Surfaces are having their fair share of issues. 

https://www.thurrott.com/mobile/microsoft-surface/64095/welcome-to-surfacegate
    williamlondon
  • Reply 55 of 218
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    tezgno said:
    foggyhill said:
    The Ipad Pro, if we take estimates from those that look at those things, likely made 2B in the 2.5 months since it launched. The pricing is similar to the surface.
    If it did that all year, it would easily beat by a lot the Surface Sales. That alone should be considered a black eye on Microsoft.
    I wasn't aware that it was selling that well up to this point. Everything that I have seen so far has suggested that the numbers, while high grant it, are rather low in comparison to typical iPad sales by Apple. I know that several reports have shown China's numbers to be around 150,000 total sold since launch and that was the biggest market push for Apple with the tablet this time around (comparatively, the Mini sold over half a million in the first month in China alone). My best guestimate would show that maybe 500,000 units for the quarter (we really won't know until Q1 2016 reports) which would put revenues in the $500 million range for the quarter ($2 billion annually if numbers were to remain steady), unless you can point me to better info. I would say, though, that since Apple's profit margin is much higher than MS, if the numbers did stay steady (or if the numbers are wrong since we don't know them yet), it would still likely mean more profit for Apple.

The numbers I saw is 12% of the Ipad's Holiday sales volume, which likely is at least 12-14M (they sold 10M in the previous quarter).
    The Ipad was at the top of the holiday wishlist of people polled before the holiday, so it may be more than that.
    That's massively more than you're "number.

williamlondon
  • Reply 56 of 218
    tenly said:
    troit said:

But you'll buy into blatantly distorted articles like this? Says enough.

Get back in line sheep and go to bed. I guarantee you have a 9-5pm job tomorrow and a boss to serve.
    Your "guarantee" just serves to further display your ignorance.  If we could choose to live the life of anybody on the planet, I would choose to live mine (and so would you!).

You know - even if your opinions were right, and even the information you post about were accurate (they're not and its not); the way you express yourself - as a new member to a public forum - speaks volumes about your character.  You're abusive and arrogant and therefore don't have many friends.  You come here seeking attention - and congratulations - we've given you some!  But as far as I'm concerned, you can go back to your lonely life as I'm done interacting with you. 

Here's some free advice that could be a start at improving your life and maybe one day even making a friend (if you decide to take it...). Delete this account.  Make a new one.  Be nice to people - or at least polite.  Find an article that discusses something that interests you - and post your opinions - in a non-arrogant, non threatening and non-abusive way - and don't forget that others have valid opinions too - even if their opinions are different than yours!

Buh-bye!
    "
    And really, a "boss to serve" (sic)
    As a professional and manager I've never had this level of servility; not even sure I had when I worked in retail at 18.

He must be reliving his plantation past; projecting?

wetlander
  • Reply 57 of 218
    Just as embarrassing as the meltdown and ensuing scandal that was the big iPads in every classroom push with LA Unified, except those were children and this was a bunch of millionaires running into each other. Funny how things work out sometimes, huh?
    Did Apple pay for that? No.
    The embarrassment was for the people who made the decision in the LA schools district; not Apple.
    They sold more than a 100 million tablets after than happen? IT will take 10 years for MS to sell that many laptops, maybe more now...

You do know also that this happen on live TV before tens of millions of spectators? That's a big higher profile don't you think.
  • Reply 58 of 218
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    bobschlob said:
    tezgno said:
    Aww gee golly gosh! I wonder what operating system is running those backend servers?

I wonder what Apple's Cloud services run on? 

http://www.zdnet.com/article/is-apple-really-using-windows-azure-to-power-icloud/#!

Nice to see DED maintaining his usual standards in this article.

This is how it should be done: "iPad app issue grounds 'a few dozen' American Airlines flights " You see that word 'app'? - adds this little thing called accuracy.
    edited January 2016 rhinotufftechloverlord amhran
  • Reply 59 of 218
    xbitxbit Posts: 390member
    I guess I can’t comment, because mine was a gift, so the work I do with it I guess doesn’t count as being productive.
    What kind of work do you do on it? There's no version of Xcode for the iPad Pro (yet ) so it's not much use to me as a work device but I'm interested to hear how other people are using it.
    edited January 2016
  • Reply 60 of 218
    Another story that the title had no connection to the facts or failing that doesn't get an update when found to be wrong.
    rhinotufftechloverlord amhran