Twitter removes ads for MVPs in bid to drive engagement

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2016
Twitter is reducing the number of ads high-value users see in their feeds, or nixing them altogether, in a bid to keep the VIPs producing content, according to a Monday report.

The initiative kicked off in September and has gathered steam over the past few months, making Twitter a completely ad-free experience for some, according to Re/code. Twitter monetizes its service in part through promoted tweets, which for regular users show up in line with tweets from followed accounts.

Sources claim Twitter's decision is part of a strategy to keep high-value account holders engaged, the report said. Doing so not only keeps millions of existing casual users on the service, but might also attract new members. It is not clear what metrics define a "VIP," but sources told the publication that sheer follower count is only part of the equation. Tweet volume, reach and other metrics are also taken into account, the report said.

Twitter is in the throes of upper management upheaval under co-founder Jack Dorsey, who returned as permanent CEO last October following the departure of former chief Dick Costolo. As The New York Times reported on Sunday, four executives, including SVP of engineering Alex Roetter and SVP of product Kevin Weil, left the company over the weekend.

Aside from growth concerns and executive shake-ups, Twitter, like many tech companies, is dealing with workplace diversity issues. Last month, Apple's former director of worldwide inclusion and diversity Jeffrey Siminoff was hired away to fill an identical role at the social media firm.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    Ooh, can we have a discussion on the changing face of communication and the psychological damage done thereto thanks to the vapidity of social networking? Anyway,

“keep the VIPs producing content”? Twitter actually makes money from people who look at celebrities’ “tweets”?
    icoco3pscooter63
  • Reply 2 of 13
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Twitter has lost the plot. Jobs should have met with Dorsey and acquired this company years ago. It would have stopped them ever wasting their time around Ping and Connect to. Just plug Twitter in that tab, all these musicians and bands already have Twitter accounts.
    Mr_Grey
  • Reply 3 of 13
    ireland said:
    Twitter has lost the plot. Jobs should have met with Dorsey and acquired this company years ago. It would have stopped them ever wasting their time around Ping and Connect to. Just plug Twitter in that tab, all these musicians and bands already have Twitter accounts.
    Acquired it? For what? I am on Twitter (more than anything else for the challenge of fitting the bogus thoughts I have in 140 characters or less), but at the end of the day, it's a lot of trivial, self-indulgent crap. 

As as an aside, this celebrity-no-ad thing a terrible way for them to market themselves: "the vast majority of you users are the great unwashed, and you have to view the ads we spew." 
    nolamacguyronn
  • Reply 4 of 13
    sergiozsergioz Posts: 338member
    ha ha I guess I am the VIP then, no ads or tracking anywhere or wait it's probably because my phone is jailbroken!
  • Reply 5 of 13
    Mr_GreyMr_Grey Posts: 118member
    One of the few things worse than putting f*cking advertisements in everything, is perhaps the notion that some people are "more valuable" than others.  The whole idea of MVP customers on a platform like Twitter is offensive and vile IMO.  The original point of the service was democratization.

Twitter was so cool and so revolutionary when it began too.  So sad.  I agree with Ireland in that I've long thought that that moment when Apple wanted to buy it way back when and Twitter showed them the door was a huge mistake by all concerned.  
    noivadicoco3
  • Reply 6 of 13
    VIPs exist to remind you that you're not one.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    Some animals are more equal...
  • Reply 8 of 13
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    Ooh, can we have a discussion on the changing face of communication and the psychological damage done thereto thanks to the vapidity of social networking? Anyway,

“keep the VIPs producing content”? Twitter actually makes money from people who look at celebrities’ “tweets”?
    AI makes money on people who look at your posts, too. How is it surprising that Twitter does the same thing? You must know you are providing content which they monetize.

I'm sure you are given a longer leash by the mods around here since you have produced nearly 40k bits of content for this site yourself.

Have they sent you an AI coffee mug, too?
  • Reply 9 of 13
    noivadnoivad Posts: 186member
    That would piss me off, but the ads. on twitter take up no where near the amount of real estate and create less distraction than on other SoNets & many other destination sites. Although I do run ad blockers & customize my CSS to remove certain ids and classes… so maybe it’s just my own modified experience?

Is it shitty of Twitter to do this? Yes. Is it a deal breaker? No. Would I (and probably countless others) chose to pay twitter a reasonable yearly fee to remove all the “promoted” BS? If it was under $36/year I probably would.

As another commenter said: at the end of the day, it’s a tempest in a teacup.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    rolyroly Posts: 74member
    MVP? Most Valued Customer? Minimum Viable Product (guessing not)? Unusual not to describe the acronym when 90% of the readers will never have seen MVP in a headline before. I certainly hadn't really heard of the term before. Ho hum.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    freediverxfreediverx Posts: 1,423member
    Anyone who uses a third party client app like Tweetbot and browses their feed via Lists is already getting an ad-free experience.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    Anyone who uses a third party client app like Tweetbot and browses their feed via Lists is already getting an ad-free experience.
    That's what I was wondering. I use Tweetbot and have never seen an ad. I wasn't aware that they had the ability to the filter them out.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    Some animals are more equal...
    No, it is the fact that the masses allow them to attain that status.  Kardashian who????