Wall Street expects $76.5B in revenue from Apple in record breaking holiday quarter

Comments

• Reply 21 of 64
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,032member

sog35 said:
     They said the Sept Quarter was not important even though they showed 25% profit growth. All that matter was Dec quarter results. And now that Apple will report a great December quarter they will say ignore December and look to March

2. Apple reports a strong quarter.

It's always about the next quarter.  What worries me about this quarter getting reported tonight is that it might not be that great.  I haven't sold any shares, mind you, I've been in this for a long time.  But I did notice that Apple Watches were widely discounted, as were iPads and iPhones.  This cuts both ways obviously.  I bought a watch, a phone, and two iPads during the holidays. (All but the watch for other members of the family)  Good for sales, bad for margins.  If they have to cut the price of the Watch Sport by 30% to move it, they may have a problem. (Got mine for $250.)
  • Reply 22 of 64
    steviestevie Posts: 956member
    williamh said:
    For investors, Apple's very purpose is to make more profits all the time. For what other reason do they invest?
    Nobody at Apple cares one whit about the stock price.  All they care about is making great products.  The stock will take care of itself.
    cornchip
  • Reply 23 of 64
    Today must be the lets pile on Apple day. I've seen 3 stories posted in MarketWatch that are anti-Apple. Reuters and USA Today have doomsday articles about iPhone and Reuters posted a negative Watch story quoting DigiTimes. I can't remember an American company that has received as much negative press from the American media as Apple has. Shameful.
    Today? Seems like the last two months have been pile on Apple day. If the analysts are flat out wrong after the results are released, would love to see Cook nail them (in a professional manner) during tonight's call....but I know that would never happen.
    palominecornchip
  • Reply 24 of 64
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    williamh said:
    stevie said:
    No matter how many trillions of dollars Apple funnels to Wall Street billionaires, it is never enough.

Wall Street seems to think that Apple's very purpose is to make more and more profits all the time.

Apple should just pay a huge dividend and be done with it.  Yeah, it would make Wall Street even richer, but then Apple stock will go up again.  

For investors, Apple's very purpose is to make more profits all the time. For what other reason do they invest?
    On a sidenote, no comment on the "spirit if the law" question posed to you in the Aussie tax thread?
  • Reply 25 of 64
    Today must be the lets pile on Apple day. I've seen 3 stories posted in MarketWatch that are anti-Apple. Reuters and USA Today have doomsday articles about iPhone and Reuters posted a negative Watch story quoting DigiTimes. I can't remember an American company that has received as much negative press from the American media as Apple has. Shameful.
    And yet this is a positive rumor and you are still posting about negative ones. At least we now know who those negative ones were written for ;)
  • Reply 26 of 64
    stevie said:
    williamh said:
    Nobody at Apple cares one whit about the stock price.  All they care about is making great products.  The stock will take care of itself.
    And that is the way they should run the company, to do great over the long run.  If that's your view, I agree.
  • Reply 27 of 64
    kent909kent909 Posts: 731member
    It's three hours and fifteen minutes until Apple makes their announcement. Would some Wall Street analyst please write a story in the next 15 minutes speculating on what Apple is going to say. I just can't wait for over three hours to find out. Please I feel a pain in my right arm. /s /s
  • Reply 28 of 64
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    When Microsoft peaked nobody said a word or reported about it. The warning signs were all there for analysts to see. When it actually happened everyone claimed to be surprised. With Apple everyone seems to be surprised they still exist.
    palomine
  • Reply 29 of 64
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    AI really needs to get rid of the dislike button - for the same reason that MR got rid of it and the old forum software never had one. Some people are clearly social misfits and just go through the threads disliking every post simply to be mean. This thread has a dozen or so well thought out reasonable posts, all disliked, probably by the same person.
    techloverpscooter63
  • Reply 30 of 64
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    williamh said:

sog35 said:

2. Apple reports a strong quarter.

It's always about the next quarter.  What worries me about this quarter getting reported tonight is that it might not be that great.  I haven't sold any shares, mind you, I've been in this for a long time.  But I did notice that Apple Watches were widely discounted, as were iPads and iPhones.  This cuts both ways obviously.  I bought a watch, a phone, and two iPads during the holidays. (All but the watch for other members of the family)  Good for sales, bad for margins.  If they have to cut the price of the Watch Sport by 30% to move it, they may have a problem. (Got mine for $250.)
    Not bad for margins unless it's APPLE doing the discounting. And it's not, to my knowledge anyway (just peeked at the store: watch prices looked the same).
    edited January 2016
  • Reply 31 of 64
    sog35 said:
    Apple and Tim Cook should change the way they report earnings.

The current reporting makes Apple like a 100% hardware company only. Eveything depends on unit sales. Nothing is about the long-term strategy. Apple's reporting should focus on the long-term game instead of relying on beating unit sales in 90 day increments. Apple should split up iPhone/Mac/iPad/Watch revenue between a hardware portion and software/services portion. Apple should decrease the amount of unit information which only leads to Wall Street nitpicking on the one data point that looks weak while ignoring the other 9 data points that are strong.

Apple report:

1. Total Hardware Revenue (no unit sales, no breakdown between Mac, iPhone, revenue)
    2. Total Software and Services revenue (include software portion of iPhone/Mac/iPad )
    3. Other Revenue

4. Total install base as a running total. Also track 3 year, 5 year, and 10 year install base goals. That should really be the long term goal of the company.
    5. Provide no guidance

During the rest of the year Tim Cook needs to defend the stock and the name reputation of Apple. He should hire a team of 100 just for that purpose. Refute bogus stories online with an official Apple Investors twitter account. Call up journalist who report bull shit stories. Take to task journalist and analysis who report utter non-sense. Hiring this team of investor PR would only cost a few million a year. But it would save investors TENS OF BILLIONS. 

The policy of not responding to rumors is pure stupidity in today's world. With the internet, Twitter, facebook, ect you NEED to respond to rumors. You need to shut down this total train of bullshit every day. In the old days the rumors would just die on the vine on its own. Not any more. We live in a different world and you need a PR team to protect a company like Apple every day, every hour.

When a single rumor repeated a thousand times (weak supply chain) can cause the stock to lose $250,000,000,000 in shareholder value you need to change the game plan.
    I'm sorry this doesnt work because Apple software only works with Apple hardware. They don't sell stand alone software. 
    edited January 2016
  • Reply 32 of 64
    sflagelsflagel Posts: 803member
    josu said:

sflagel said:
    Who cares.? it is just a stock. And like all shares, the calculation is simple: is (EPS+Growth) / Price = an acceptable return? If yes, then Price goes up, if too low, then Price goes down.Whether the firm producing these numbers is Apple or Urban Outfitters does not matter. Personally, I think a EPS Yield of 9%+ is a lot, but not if the money cannot be repatriated. So I assume analysts are measuring Domestic EPS only.
    No. they are measuring all EPS, if that they don't have to count the sales overseas of EVERY company in the US.
    Few US companies earn such a high percentage of their income overseas, plus almost 100% of Apple's growth is expected to come from overseas. Lastly, not all companies use international tax havens so that the cost of repatriation is lower. I don't know, just thinking, why else would Apple have such a high EPS yield? (Average S&P 500 Earnings Yield is 7.8%)
  • Reply 33 of 64
    steven n.steven n. Posts: 1,229member
    gatorguy said:
    It was never about the currently reporting quarter. It's the next one that been under the microscope. Some posters here just misunderstood it. 
    And if March guidance doesn't follow the meme that's been set then the focus will shift to June as if the concerns about March never existed.
    Exactly. The worst part is if guidance is better than expected (peak Android and not peak iPhone) then the analysts will be concerned a general drop in smartphones indicates Apple will still falter for <some made up reason>. They will conclude they are just off one quarter and iPhone sales will actually tank 2 quarters from now and revise there numbers downward. I would love to see this updated with AMZN, GOOGL, MSFT. 

http://www.asymco.com/2011/12/22/who-is-being-reasonable-now/
  • Reply 34 of 64
    jbdragon said:
    Wait, I thought all these people were saying Apple sales were going to be disappointing. I'm a little confused. Now just before Apple's report, they're singing a different tune? Is this more stock manipulation?
    $76.5 billion can be SPUN as disappointing.... that it is more revenue than any company in the history of capitalism has ever experienced? Seemingly ignorable. In the past I'd always thought that outside normal company experience was  part of the issue for the stock (given how Amazon etc. do.... for Amazon an INFINITE P/E ration??) now I don't have a good concept other than fundamentals such as total revenue only matter when Well Street wants them to.
    edited January 2016
  • Reply 35 of 64
    sflagelsflagel Posts: 803member
    sog35 said:
    Apple and Tim Cook should change the way they report earnings.

The current reporting makes Apple like a 100% hardware company only. Eveything depends on unit sales. Nothing is about the long-term strategy. Apple's reporting should focus on the long-term game instead of relying on beating unit sales in 90 day increments. Apple should split up iPhone/Mac/iPad/Watch revenue between a hardware portion and software/services portion. Apple should decrease the amount of unit information which only leads to Wall Street nitpicking on the one data point that looks weak while ignoring the other 9 data points that are strong.

Apple report:

1. Total Hardware Revenue (no unit sales, no breakdown between Mac, iPhone, revenue)
    2. Total Software and Services revenue (include software portion of iPhone/Mac/iPad )
    3. Other Revenue

4. Total install base as a running total. Also track 3 year, 5 year, and 10 year install base goals. That should really be the long term goal of the company.
    5. Provide no guidance

During the rest of the year Tim Cook needs to defend the stock and the name reputation of Apple. He should hire a team of 100 just for that purpose. Refute bogus stories online with an official Apple Investors twitter account. Call up journalist who report bull shit stories. Take to task journalist and analysis who report utter non-sense. Hiring this team of investor PR would only cost a few million a year. But it would save investors TENS OF BILLIONS. 

The policy of not responding to rumors is pure stupidity in today's world. With the internet, Twitter, facebook, ect you NEED to respond to rumors. You need to shut down this total train of bullshit every day. In the old days the rumors would just die on the vine on its own. Not any more. We live in a different world and you need a PR team to protect a company like Apple every day, every hour.

When a single rumor repeated a thousand times (weak supply chain) can cause the stock to lose $250,000,000,000 in shareholder value you need to change the game plan.
    I'm sorry this doesnt work because Apple software only works with Apple hardware. They don't sell stand alone software. 
    And that is why iPhone sales are so important. Everything else depends on it, consumers have all the screens they will ever need (Mac, MacBook, iPhone, iPad, TV).... have we reached peak saturation of "screens" (besides China and India, but that money will never find its way back to the US....)?
  • Reply 36 of 64
    By all reports they're about to have piled another 76.5 BILLION  dollars onto that "peak".....

Tall peak.

edited January 2016 anton zuykov
  • Reply 37 of 64
    jfc1138 said:
    williamh said:

Not bad for margins unless it's APPLE doing the discounting. And it's not, to my knowledge anyway (just peeked at the store: watch prices looked the same).
    I don't think the discounts all came out of Target's hide. (And Staples, Best Buy, etc.)  The wholesale pricing that those stores get isn't THAT much lower than the retail price!  Besides, the store should expect Apple to pitch in to promote Apple products (and Apple does.)
  • Reply 38 of 64
    williamh said:
    jfc1138 said:
    I don't think the discounts all came out of Target's hide. (And Staples, Best Buy, etc.)  The wholesale pricing that those stores get isn't THAT much lower than the retail price!  Besides, the store should expect Apple to pitch in to promote Apple products (and Apple does.)
    "I don't think..."

and that's anecdote/speculation then. 

What the store "should" expect and what actually occurs are two different matters. And given the secrecy with which any commercial entity treats it business not likely to be revealed anytime soon, certainly not with enough certainty to warrant conclusions about a corporation's future. (IMHO, of course).
  • Reply 39 of 64
    I have one request. I'm convinced the legendary Ming-Chi Kuo does not exist. He's a convenient creation by the Business Insider to spew FUD. The AppleInsider has no issues picking-up these articles and treating this mythical character as a real human being, repeating how often he is correct. So, his latest scare is that Apple will guide 43 million for the March quarter. Not even the biggest bear predicts this. If Apple guides anywhere North of 55 million, I vote words like "the best Apple analyst" should forever be stricken by the AppleInsider when this South Park character is mentioned.
    palomine
  • Reply 40 of 64
    josujosu Posts: 217member
    sflagel said:
    josu said:

No. they are measuring all EPS, if that they don't have to count the sales overseas of EVERY company in the US.
    Few US companies earn such a high percentage of their income overseas, plus almost 100% of Apple's growth is expected to come from overseas. Lastly, not all companies use international tax havens so that the cost of repatriation is lower. I don't know, just thinking, why else would Apple have such a high EPS yield? (Average S&P 500 Earnings Yield is 7.8%)
    Wrong, 2012 estimates where that american corporations had at least 1,3 trillion $ overseas due to double taxation issues. I clearly remember Cisco's CEO John Chambers speaking in Bloomberg saying that if US government reform the tax code they will repatriate 45 billion in overseas funds to invest in the US.

And is known that Amazon, Google or Microsoft are in the same situation. The only difference between Apple and the rest is the amount of money overseas
    edited January 2016