ExxonMobil to accept Apple Pay at the pump through Speedpass+ [u]

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2016
During Apple's quarterly conference call for the first quarter of 2016, Apple CEO Tim Cook announced upcoming availability for Apple Pay at ExxonMobil gas stations through that company's Speedpass+ touchless payments system.

Cook did not define a specific time frame for Apple Pay's upcoming expansion, saying only that support would arrive at Exxon and Mobil gas stations in the coming months. iPhone owners can set up an account and pay via ExxonMobil's Speedpass+ in-app wallet, though touchless Apple Pay is not yet available.

ExxonMobil's first-party touchless payment system is well established with over 5,000 Exxon and Mobil stations nationwide currently accepting such payments. With Speedpass, customers use a special NFC key fob to interact with the pump terminal, which on the backend is connected to supported debit and credit cards.

Today's announcement follows a similar agreement that brought at-the-pump Apple Pay support to Chevron in 2014, though that rollout included NFC payments.

Cook noted the ExxonMobil partnership shortly after saying Apple Pay is now available at more than five million terminals.

Update: This article has been corrected to specify the Speedpass+ solution will initially support only in-app Apple Pay payments, not NFC-based iPhone and Apple Watch payments.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Gas is one of my few remaining card purchases. Nice to see some progress there. 
  • Reply 2 of 19
    Ironically here in NZ there's all these signs saying don't use the phone on the forecourt
    lostkiwi
  • Reply 3 of 19
    "Pay through the Speedpass app"

Yeah, real win for ApplePay there. 
  • Reply 4 of 19

Yes that would have to be clarified wouldn't it because using the SpeedPass App isn't any more Apple Pay than when I use my Starbucks App. Still more secure than a card I suppose (less total money at risk?), but otherwise...

Given "upcoming availability for Apple Pay at ExxonMobil gas stations through that company's Speedpass touchless payments system. ", the real implementation might use the existing NFC hardware setup to service SpeedPass to pay via actual ApplePay.
    edited January 2016
  • Reply 5 of 19
    jfc1138 said:

Yes that would have to be clarified wouldn't it because using the SpeedPass App isn't any more Apple Pay than when I use my Starbucks App. Still more secure than a card I suppose (less total money at risk?), but otherwise...
    I refill my Starbucks account via ApplePay.
  • Reply 6 of 19
    sessamoid said:
    jfc1138 said:
    Yes but you (we) do not use Apple Pay to make any purchases at a Starbucks store, simply refill the card app. Purchases involve a scan of the displayed Starbucks card barcode, not NFC interaction via the Apple Pay system.
    edited January 2016 jbdragon
  • Reply 7 of 19
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,056member

Cook noted the ExxonMobil partnership shortly after saying Apple Pay is now available at more than five million terminals.
    I think I want a list. There is this page:

http://www.apple.com/apple-pay/where-to-use-apple-pay/

My local grocery store put in a chip reader, but "it doesn't work yet." I swipe my card, then the checker/clerk asks "I need to see your card."
    I ask "do you need the last 4 digits?"
    "Yes"
    "it is xxxx"
    "Thanks!" 

What's wrong with this picture?

• Reply 8 of 19
    Wait chevron takes Apple Pay at the pump?
  • Reply 9 of 19
    Wait chevron takes Apple Pay at the pump?
    No, you have to go inside to use Apple Pay. I get my gas regularly at Chevron. They have said they "hope to support Apple Pay at the pump soon"
    macky the macky
  • Reply 10 of 19
    jfc1138 said:
    sessamoid said:
    Yes but you (we) do not use Apple Pay to make any purchases at a Starbucks store, simply refill the card app. Purchases involve a scan of the displayed Starbucks card barcode, not NFC interaction via the Apple Pay system.
    Not in the US, but I used only Apple Pay at all Starbucks in London. Besides, what's so magical about NFC that makes it so much more important than other payments?
  • Reply 11 of 19
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    eightzero said:

My local grocery store put in a chip reader, but "it doesn't work yet." I swipe my card, then the checker/clerk asks "I need to see your card."
    "Yes"
    "it is xxxx"
    "Thanks!" 

I see that too.  Everywhere I shop they all have the chip readers and they all require you to swipe.  But what's just as bad is that at the places that I've found that take ApplePay, about half require you to sign on the screen too.  What's the point?
    lostkiwi
  • Reply 12 of 19
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,241member
    There isn't enough information presented to understand how the (unnecessary) NFC pen key fob actually works to determine how secure it is. I don't see anything in the photo that would allow the input of any PIN or other type of information. Therefore, I could simply steal the fob and use it to get my own gas using the owner's credit card. Am I missing something here? I don't get gas at ExxonMobil and only use Chevron when I can't find a Costco. I'd go to a Safeway gas station and pay in cash before I buy anything from ExxonMobil. Here's another single use device that isn't any better than a credit card. 

@eightzero and @jupiterone ;As for signing when using ApplePay, that comes from the credit card company and merchant demanding a stupid signature for purchases over a certain amount. I totally agree with both of you. My fingerprint should be enough to determine the purchase is actually being done by me. Anyone can forge someone's signature since 90% of signatures aren't legible. 
    tony411la
  • Reply 13 of 19
    latifbplatifbp Posts: 544member
    jfc1138 said:

Given "upcoming availability for Apple Pay at ExxonMobil gas stations through that company's Speedpass touchless payments system. ", the real implementation might use the existing NFC hardware setup to service SpeedPass to pay via actual ApplePay.
    It just means you don't have to store a card on the Speedpass website
  • Reply 14 of 19
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    sessamoid said:
    jfc1138 said:
    Not in the US, but I used only Apple Pay at all Starbucks in London. Besides, what's so magical about NFC that makes it so much more important than other payments?
    Security and convenience. If you lose a contactless card, then someone could use it to make lots of small purchases before you have a chance to cancel. With NFC they can't do that unless they also took your thumb. 

What I would like to see is the ability to associate a particular card with a location inside the wallet.

edited January 2016
  • Reply 15 of 19
    mrboba1mrboba1 Posts: 276member
    eightzero said:

"Yes"
    "it is xxxx"
    "Thanks!" 

I see that too.  Everywhere I shop they all have the chip readers and they all require you to swipe.  But what's just as bad is that at the places that I've found that take ApplePay, about half require you to sign on the screen too.  What's the point?
    At the places that actually make you use the chip part, it's a worse/longer experience.
    Half the time, the customer (me) has not inserted the card far enough because the reader doesn't hold the card well, and in all instances, the transaction takes longer to process. Why? I have no idea, but it takes longer than even swiping the card.It makes no sense to me.

Meanwhile, when I can go somewhere with ApplePay, I use my watch and it's done in no time. And even if I have to do it twice, it is still much faster than the chip readers.
    macky the macky
  • Reply 16 of 19
    steviestevie Posts: 956member
    Apple needs to do more deals with companies like Exxon.  They are huge and have lots of money, which are important things to Apple.
    latifbp
  • Reply 17 of 19
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Apple Pay is a giant yawn. 0% adoption rate, no effort on Apple's part to get more locations accepting.
  • Reply 18 of 19
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,056member
    eightzero said:

"Yes"
    "it is xxxx"
    "Thanks!" 

It is clearly because the terminals suck, and the merchants using them are generally morons. When I ask why I need to sign after a AP transaction, they say "because the thing requires it." I scratch a straight line. "Thanks" they say.

As my anecdote points out, the "enter the last 4" was intended to make the clerk handle the card *so they can verify the security features on it* like the little hologram, and to compare the signature on the card to the offered signature. No clerk cares, because they get yelled at and assaulted when the line is long, not when there is a fraudulent transaction.

Here is really an opportunity for Apple to contribute something to a commercial space. Skip the car. Fix the stupid cash registers.
  • Reply 19 of 19
    mrboba1 said:
    At the places that actually make you use the chip part, it's a worse/longer experience.
    Half the time, the customer (me) has not inserted the card far enough because the reader doesn't hold the card well, and in all instances, the transaction takes longer to process. Why? I have no idea, but it takes longer than even swiping the card.It makes no sense to me.

Meanwhile, when I can go somewhere with ApplePay, I use my watch and it's done in no time. And even if I have to do it twice, it is still much faster than the chip readers.
    Allegedly, it's because a small processor in the chip is participating in the transaction, so it needs to remain connected until the transaction completes.  When you swipe, the register reads the data off of the card and processes the transaction on its own time, which might take just as long but you don't care because the card isn't sitting in the reader all that time.

Why should ApplePay be faster?  I don't know.  Maybe because the CPU in an iPhone is much faster than the processor in an EMV chip.  Maybe the phone generates a single-use packet of encrypted data, which the register then processes off-line, like with a swipe.  It's a great question that I'd love to know the answer to.