Microsoft Windows Phone chief Joe Belfiore tweets from an Apple iPhone

Comments

• Reply 21 of 42
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    This is a non story. Developers routinely use competitive products to develope things like apps and such on (ie Word).
    Totally agree. This is a nonsmesical story. MSFT has always supported Apple's computing devices with their software. You think they do that without using the devices, and seeing how they work???? Grow up people!
    edited January 2016
  • Reply 22 of 42
    I think what is most shocking about this entire thing is that DED didn't write the article.
    cornchipnottylerdurdenrhinotuff
  • Reply 23 of 42
    Like Bill Gates himself wasn't using the Macintosh during the early days of the IBM PC. He even referred to the computer as sand (Steve's amazing new device). 

Given the Microsoft culture these days, using an iPhone for a Twitter post is probably a bad move. 

He wasn't using android and that is far more revealing. 
    cornchipiqatedo
  • Reply 24 of 42
    Aren't iPhones manufactured in Chinese factories with machinery controlled by Windows?  So this is just a matter of coming full circle.  And how about those Apple data centers filled with Mac Minis running OS X Server...
    edited January 2016
  • Reply 25 of 42
    noivadnoivad Posts: 186member
    Props on his defense•I have to use bad UIs on machine with sub-standard OSes to fix, code for or learn how to help people use them, and I’ve used platforms just to see what advantages they have. It doesn’t mean I prefer them. Then again, I’d prefer a couple of OS X revs back when users had more control, but “progress.” ;)
  • Reply 26 of 42
    Lol. "It's product testing, I swear."

You think the pic itself was taken with an iPhone too? Cuz it looks pretty decent.
  • Reply 27 of 42
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    Hey, Strangers! Guess who will be unemployed when he returns from hiatus?
    What a tool. Even Palm Pre beats Windows Phone.  :p
  • Reply 28 of 42
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    noivad said:
    Props on his defense•I have to use bad UIs on machine with sub-standard OSes to fix, code for or learn how to help people use them, and I’ve used platforms just to see what advantages they have. It doesn’t mean I prefer them. Then again, I’d prefer a couple of OS X revs back when users had more control, but “progress.” ;)
    Zero defense. If he wants to use an iPhone that much--just to see how the competition works--and he still values his job--he could have done it even better with fake accounts.
  • Reply 29 of 42
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Like Bill Gates himself wasn't using the Macintosh during the early days of the IBM PC. He even referred to the computer as sand (Steve's amazing new device). 

Given the Microsoft culture these days, using an iPhone for a Twitter post is probably a bad move. 

He wasn't using android and that is far more revealing. 
    Yet the Gate's family are not allowed Apple equipment, they've been quoted many times saying that.
  • Reply 30 of 42
    You will never catch an Apple executive tweeting from a Windows phone or Android, ever. 
    gtrcornchip
  • Reply 31 of 42
    Microsoft makes a phone?
  • Reply 32 of 42
    k311y said:
    Microsoft makes a phone?
    Sort of, definitely not a competitive one.  I worked with a guy that had a Windows phone once.  He thought it was the greatest thing until developers stopped supporting their Windows phone apps.
  • Reply 33 of 42
    Shared to Facebook just because of the HHGTTG reference.
  • Reply 34 of 42
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    williamh said:
    Sure, but is the head of the OS group really a developer?  In any case, no big deal. 
    of course. and as the head of a product he'd be foolish not to use other products.

agreed on no big deal.
    From a PR standpoint, it is a big deal and he could hide it; so, hey!
  • Reply 35 of 42
    Not that it's the same, but I used to be in the snowboard industry and we would always have pro's come to us and ask us to help them make one of our products look like it was from their sponsors, because their products were inferior and made them ride badly. One whole company pretty much rode fake versions of their boards. It's easy to support the top product but tough to use the inferior ones, when you can't chose anything else. Unfortunately, not everyone can work for Apple. But just as we used to tell those riders, don't get caught.
  • Reply 36 of 42
    A NINE MONTH leave of absence? Why does he still work at Microsoft?
  • Reply 37 of 42
    jibberj said:
     Unfortunately, not everyone can work for Apple
    This is very fortunate actually... Otherwise, you would have to rename the company into Dell or MS.
  • Reply 38 of 42
    I call this a CLE: Career Limiting Event.
  • Reply 39 of 42
    freerange said:
    This is a non story. Developers routinely use competitive products to develope things like apps and such on (ie Word).
    Totally agree. This is a nonsmesical story. MSFT has always supported Apple's computing devices with their software. You think they do that without using the devices, and seeing how they work???? Grow up people!
    This makes perfect sense in a world where people act in a totally logical way: but we do not live in that world. A significant number of people would see this as a negative, therefore, from a marketing viewpoint, it is a negative.

When testing other devices, always make public statements under fake names. Always carry your companies device to take out if you may be recognised, and to send anything under your real name. Marketing 101.
  • Reply 40 of 42

Blaster said:
    Aren't iPhones manufactured in Chinese factories with machinery controlled by Windows?  So this is just a matter of coming full circle.  And how about those Apple data centers filled with Mac Minis running OS X Server...
    I do not know if they are running windows or not. If I had to hazard a guess, I would say they most likely run a version of linux.