Apple's 'iPhone 7 Plus' to sport dual-camera iSight array built on LinX imaging technology

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    Mr_Grey said:
    My only response to this news is that I hope what 9to5Mac is saying about this is untrue.  They are specifically coming out and saying that Ming-Chi is predicting this technology for the iPhone 7+ only.  To me that would be a disaster, but I note that the interpretation on this site is only that they are currently working on two possible models. 

If this tech only makes it into the iPhone 7+ and not the 7, a lot of folks will be upset.  There will be talk of "leaving Apple" and lots of anger etc. 
    I agree that if this is 7+ only, it will be disappointing to many (myself included as I don't see myself ever buying the "+" series as is too large for my use cases).  I hope they don't do it, as it will impact overall unit sales, as those that might upgrade from more recent 6-series phones will hold off.  It will have a financial impact IMO.

However, I don't believe at all there will be lots of "talk of leaving Apple" if they differentiate it this way.  Really?  

There is of course the possibility that the extra case volume of the "+" series makes such things possible...I don't know myself...we shall have to wait & see.
  • Reply 22 of 33
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,056member
    Samsung Galaxy will sport dual camera soon...
  • Reply 23 of 33
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    I've been hoping for a while Apple would incorporate this camera tech in the iPhone 7, and now it seems like they will. With two sensors potentially capable together of producing a 24MP image, if they incorporate a lower-res 8MP mode (still enough detail for many people) with good image stitching algorithms. That mode could come with a 3x digital zoom that has the quality of a genuine optical zoom. As well as Lytro like light field capabilities for post capture selective focusing.
    edited January 2016
  • Reply 24 of 33
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member

Sounds promising. I went from a 5S to 6S... not feeling it in the pics themselves. The software around it, live pics, pano's etc much better.

Unfortunately - presuming it is ready now for 7, I can see Apple waiting to 7S as its 'new' thing. Keep milking that (cash)cow--- Mooo(cha-ching)!

• Reply 25 of 33
    Stereoscopic photos, VR...
  • Reply 26 of 33
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,129member
    fallenjt said:
    You know...I would be *deeply curious* if AAPL has a uber-secret disinformation unit. They could build some vaguely plausible documents and prototypes in an effort to make copiers expend resources. Surely no one has written a corporate espionage novel on the concept....but I wonder if AAPL actually does it.

What a fun job that would be.
    edited January 2016
  • Reply 27 of 33
    Mr_GreyMr_Grey Posts: 118member
    icoco3 said:
    Mr_Grey said:
    Like all images attached to articles of this type, the picture at the top was probably done in Photoshop or even Preview by the authors of the article and is for illustration purposes only.  Aesthetically, and possibly even functionally, I would expect a camera in each corner rather than two side by side.  
    Technically, most photos are taken in landscape so the rendering in the photo would be vertically stacked cameras instead of side by side.
    I tend to disagree about "most photos" but you bring up an interesting point.  

In thinking about it some more, I think that to operate well in both landscape and portrait, a "cluster" of cameras, close together might actually be the best arrangement.  
  • Reply 28 of 33

stevnim said:
    Dual iSight cameras may be a response to the live streaming crowd such as Periscope. This is a whole new application for cell phones as they often are showing near then far images in the same stream. Doing this optically rather than digitally, would could secure Apple as the leader in this segment. GoPro is already making an adjustment to get into this new market.
    If you're thinking of investing, I wouldn't bother with Periscope.  It's arguably doomed by the fact that it's so heavily censored (even though they hide this from users) and has no use case beyond an app version of "chat roulette" which actually needs a lack of censorship to be useful or successful.  

I would put money on the next wave of such apps like Fresco and such.  They're censored also because ... hey, everyone loves censorship for some wacky reason,(!?) but given that they are aimed at more specific use cases like news gathering, and the censorship is "out in the open," they are more likely to succeed IMO.  

Periscope is like Twitter, huge promise, first out of the gate with a new idea, and no f*cking clue as to what to do with it.  Expect them to "monetise" it with adverts some time soon.  Investor money streaming into Periscope is circling the drain.  
    edited January 2016
  • Reply 29 of 33
    brucemc said: ... However, I don't believe at all there will be lots of "talk of leaving Apple" if they differentiate it this way.  Really?  ...
    Well, I don't know really.  I said that because at the time I read the 9to5Mac article (which categorically stated that only the iPhone 7+ would get it), there were more than a couple of people who commented exactly that.  Take it with a grain of salt as to these defections actually happening, but it would be a huge let-down for many people and kind of a rude thing for Apple to do.  

The plus series was welcomed by many and they are great phones if that's what you want, but overall (by sales figures) it seems only a minority of iPhone buyers want a phone that big.  So introducing a new fantastic camera, but then telling folks that they have to trade up to a phone the size of their shoe, and pay a hundred more to get it ... 

All speculation for now anyway. 
  • Reply 30 of 33

eightzero said:
    fallenjt said:
    You know...I would be *deeply curious* if AAPL has a uber-secret disinformation unit. They could build some vaguely plausible documents and prototypes in an effort to make copiers expend resources. Surely no one has written a corporate espionage novel on the concept....but I wonder if AAPL actually does it.

What a fun job that would be.
    I have it on good authority that they used to.   ;)

There hasn't been any evidence of this since quite a while before Steve Jobs died though.  I would bet either Steve or Tim has cancelled this kind of behaviour.  It is a bit childish. 
  • Reply 31 of 33
    It doesn't sound right that Apple would have 2 variants of the 7 Plus. That would add 3 more models into the price mix, making it confusing for Users.

• Reply 32 of 33
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,453member
    Mr_Grey said:
    brucemc said: ... However, I don't believe at all there will be lots of "talk of leaving Apple" if they differentiate it this way.  Really?  ...
    Well, I don't know really.  I said that because at the time I read the 9to5Mac article (which categorically stated that only the iPhone 7+ would get it), there were more than a couple of people who commented exactly that.  Take it with a grain of salt as to these defections actually happening, but it would be a huge let-down for many people and kind of a rude thing for Apple to do.  

The plus series was welcomed by many and they are great phones if that's what you want, but overall (by sales figures) it seems only a minority of iPhone buyers want a phone that big.  So introducing a new fantastic camera, but then telling folks that they have to trade up to a phone the size of their shoe, and pay a hundred more to get it ... 

All speculation for now anyway. 
    "a rude thing for Apple to do" is an odd way of describing Apple Marketing.

Certainly, there are individuals that are unhappy and will be unhappy with how Apple differentiates the plus models, but literally, you can't please everybody with each product generation. If OIS, dual lens, or the Pencil are key for the buyer, then each will have to decide if they are willing to make the tradeoffs. Some won't and will leave the iPhone ecosystem, cutting off their nose to spite their face.

Most buyers aren't specifically interested in these features anyway, purchasing based primarily on size, cost, and storage.

Got a complaint? Email Phil Schiller and let him know. 
    edited January 2016
  • Reply 33 of 33
    Needs 3 lenses at minimum (triangle pattern). 2 for stereo image capture is fine if you don't rotate the camera. 3 lenses allow camera rotation and 3D shots at any angle and a few other nifty tricks. 4 lenses and you could have one with UV sensors plus a UV Flash and you could do Dark Flash Photography if you had an option to slide away the IR filter on one of the lenses