Intel details new Skylake chips hinting at Apple's future 15" MacBook Pro specs

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware
Intel has posted a new processor price list, including some Skylake-based units that could potentially make their way into a revamped 15-inch MacBook Pro from Apple.

These include three quad-core mobile CPUs: the 2.6 GHz Core i7-6770HQ, the 2.7 GHz Core i7-6870HQ, and the 2.8 GHz Core i7-6970HQ, according to the list, spotted by AnandTech. Current Pro configurations use 2.2- and 2.5-gigahertz chips by default, with 2.8 as a custom upgrade option.

Along with Intel chips suitable to the 13-inch Pro announced last year, Apple may soon be in a position to update the Pro lineup.

One opportunity to make a splash could be in March, when Apple is expected to host a special press event. Macs would presumably be a secondary focus however next to an anticipated 4-inch iPhone refresh, sometimes referred to as the "iPhone 6c" or the "iPhone 5se."

The company could easily decide to wait until later. For example, last year, current 13-inch models debuted in March, 15-inch versions had to wait until May.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 62
    toddzrxtoddzrx Posts: 254member
    I sure hope we see updates to more than just the MBP line; all of Apple's computers are ripe for upgrading to Skylake and Thunderbolt 3/USB-C.
    6Sgoldfish
  • Reply 2 of 62
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    I have a 2013 15 inch rMBP. Im still 'wow'd' at how great it is. Cant see myself upgrading(unless on a whim) for a long time. [as I pound away on my 'newer' work computer(windows7/Dell tech computer)... that is utter and complete - ewww and yuck]
    williamlondonsergiozpscooter63
  • Reply 3 of 62
    Mr_GreyMr_Grey Posts: 118member
    "iPhone 6c" makes absolutely no sense at all as a name for this purported product.  Whatever it's called it's almost a certainty that it won't be called that.  
    6Sgoldfish
  • Reply 4 of 62
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member
    I bought the first 15" rMBP in mid 2012 (upgraded to max. RAM and the then fastest CPU). While it does not have the latest WiFi speeds and the fastest PCIe SSD, it still is doing more than fine. Neither the speed nor the battery life are any issue. What I do miss (and what would make me upgrade) is a higher RAM limit (32 GB would be great for running more virtual machines – I occasionally give MCSE classes, and some demos require 5-6 VMs running), and I really want support for at least one external 5k display. For all things requiring less power, I use the iPad Pro anyhow.
    williamlondon6Sgoldfish
  • Reply 5 of 62
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    Mr_Grey said:
    "iPhone 6c" makes absolutely no sense at all as a name for this purported product.  Whatever it's called it's almost a certainty that it won't be called that.  
    Probably something like the iPhone 6s Minus or Mini.  I really think that Apple ought to bring nearly the flagship product to the 4" form factor.  Don't hamper the product unless necessary to get it to fit in that size.
    Mr_Greymattinoz
  • Reply 6 of 62
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    Yes, by all means; "wait until later".       Wait... wait.... wait............. never mind.
    6Sgoldfish
  • Reply 7 of 62
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    boeyc15 said:
    I have a 2013 15 inch rMBP. Im still 'wow'd' at how great it is. Cant see myself upgrading(unless on a whim) for a long time. [as I pound away on my 'newer' work computer(windows7/Dell tech computer)... that is utter and complete - ewww and yuck]
    I still use 2011 15" MBP and I don't see my self upgrading any time soon. I upgraded the RAM and replaced the HDD with SSD a month after buying it in 2011. The thing is still a beast.
    williamlondonpmz
  • Reply 8 of 62
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Last year I replaced my 2010 15" MBP with the new MacBook.  After owning 2 Pros and seeing the size of the new MacBook, I convinced myself that I really don't need a Pro machine.  So I got the MacBook and I really love the speed, size, weight, display and new trackpad. Even the single USB-C connector is no problem for me.  But I have to say that I may go back to the Pro just for the keyboard. I've given the MacBook an honest try with the new keyboard and I just cannot get used to it. I'm a fairly fast touch typist and I make so many mistakes now that I have to force myself to slow down my typing. It is almost like typing on nothing.  So I really hope the new Pros don't get the new keyboards.
    cash907censoredRayz2016
  • Reply 9 of 62
    Last year I replaced my 2010 15" MBP with the new MacBook.  After owning 2 Pros and seeing the size of the new MacBook, I convinced myself that I really don't need a Pro machine.  So I got the MacBook and I really love the speed, size, weight, display and new trackpad. Even the single USB-C connector is no problem for me.  But I have to say that I may go back to the Pro just for the keyboard. I've given the MacBook an honest try with the new keyboard and I just cannot get used to it. I'm a fairly fast touch typist and I make so many mistakes now that I have to force myself to slow down my typing. It is almost like typing on nothing.  So I really hope the new Pros don't get the new keyboards.
    Yeah, I like everything but the keyboard. 
    cash907censoredRayz2016
  • Reply 10 of 62
    I'm still using my final generation 17" MacBook Pro. Popped in an SD drive about a year ago and it's humming along fine. I know it's a complete fantasy, but I'd love to see a new generation with a 17" display.
    jdwcash907censoredpscooter63
  • Reply 11 of 62
    joshajosha Posts: 901member
    I'm wondering what affect this new Intel Skylake CPU will have on Apple's support for previous software.  :(

MicroSoft just announced limited support for Windows 7 and older.

• Reply 12 of 62
    Mr_Grey said:
    Makes marginally more sense than iPhone 5SE.
    josha said:
    They're going to force everyone into their botnet by making new processors not compatible with older versions of Windows. 
    edited January 2016 bestkeptsecret
  • Reply 13 of 62
    josha said:
    I'm wondering what affect this new Intel Skylake CPU will have on Apple's support for previous software.  :(

Most likely no impact.
  • Reply 14 of 62
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    As I'm still running with a Black MacBook (~2008) and may be about to get its third battery, I'm looking forward to an MBP refresh. I just hope the reason we haven't seen anything of the 13" yet is due to a full redesign, and not just Intel yield issues. (The processors have been out for 4 months already, and no sign - not good. More to the point, there don't seem to be too many of them around at all.) Real problem is that I'll be travelling in March, so I'd really like them to release it sooner, so I can get it before I leave, and not have to wait until I get home.
  • Reply 15 of 62
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    josha said:

Is that due to issues with Skylake, or just because MS wants everyone running Windows 10? Windows 7 is over 5 years old now, and MS is very focussed on getting everyone to upgrade. It wouldn't make sense for them to put much effort into getting Windows 7 running on Skylake, anymore than Apple running Snow Leopard on it.
  • Reply 16 of 62
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    I’ve got my fingers crossed that Apple is working on a bit of a revamp, rather than they are just waiting to stick new processors in the same case. I’m hoping that they will carry over the display technology from the MacBook - the display on a 15” MBP is one of the most power-hungry components so implementing something more efficient would give the MBP even greater battery life. Or, they could put in a smaller battery to make the MBP even lighter whilst giving the same 9 hour battery life.
    6Sgoldfish
  • Reply 17 of 62
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    I love the feel of the shallow travel of the keys. I find it's the 'size' of the keys on the MacBook that throw me. I wish they had left the key size alone.
    I do not own  MacBook, but it is top of my purchase list when the update comes out. So I hope I can figure out a solution to that problem.
  • Reply 18 of 62
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    staticx57 said:

Most likely no impact.
    That's correct because Apple already does everything they possibly can to make sure all your software is up-to-date.
  • Reply 19 of 62
    appexappex Posts: 687member
    TDP?
    Thunderbolt 3?
    USB 3.1 Type C (reversible) Generation 2?
  • Reply 20 of 62
    bobschlob said:
    I love the feel of the shallow travel of the keys. I find it's the 'size' of the keys on the MacBook that throw me. I wish they had left the key size alone.
    I do not own  MacBook, but it is top of my purchase list when the update comes out. So I hope I can figure out a solution to that problem.
    The shallow keys is what I think my problem is. I'm frequently hitting between two keys and hitting the trackpad with my thumb instead of the spacebar. On the previous keyboard the keys were high enough where I could instantly feel and correct my position when I was hitting between two keys. Now since the keys are practically flush, I don't get that feedback.  Slowing down my typing definitely helps, but is a pain.
    6Sgoldfish