Intel details new Skylake chips hinting at Apple's future 15" MacBook Pro specs

Comments

• Reply 21 of 62
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    bobschlob said:
    I love the feel of the shallow travel of the keys. I find it's the 'size' of the keys on the MacBook that throw me. I wish they had left the key size alone.
    I do not own  MacBook, but it is top of my purchase list when the update comes out. So I hope I can figure out a solution to that problem.
    The shallow keys is what I think my problem is. I'm frequently hitting between two keys and hitting the trackpad with my thumb instead of the spacebar. On the previous keyboard the keys were high enough where I could instantly feel and correct my position when I was hitting between two keys. Now since the keys are practically flush, I don't get that feedback.  Slowing down my typing definitely helps, but is a pain.
    Wow. What you are describing really sounds like the key size / spacing problem. Not the travel problem. Key travel problem is 'usually' strikes not registering, or finger fatigue. Hitting between two keys is because the key locations have been moved  :p They don't line-up the way the old ones did. On a side note, I type really really well on iPad. (no key travel at all)
    As I said though, I don'r own a MacBook, just play with them when at Apple Store. But I sure want one. I just have to get used to the weird key size and spacing (for me)
  • Reply 22 of 62
    bobschlob said:
    The shallow keys is what I think my problem is. I'm frequently hitting between two keys and hitting the trackpad with my thumb instead of the spacebar. On the previous keyboard the keys were high enough where I could instantly feel and correct my position when I was hitting between two keys. Now since the keys are practically flush, I don't get that feedback.  Slowing down my typing definitely helps, but is a pain.
    Wow. What you are describing really sounds like the key size / spacing problem. Not the travel problem. Key travel problem is 'usually' strikes not registering, or finger fatigue. Hitting between two keys is because the key locations have been moved  :p They don't line-up the way the old ones did. On a side note, I type really really well on iPad. (no key travel at all)
    As I said though, I don'r own a MacBook, just play with them when at Apple Store. But I sure want one. I just have to get used to the weird key size and spacing (for me)
    Good luck. I thought I could get used to it. I've been on this MacBook everyday since I got it at the beginning of August. I guess I'm still not used to it. Still love everything about it though....except the keyboard.
  • Reply 23 of 62
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,414member
    Reposter said:
    ...I'd love to see a new generation with a 17" display.
    A thousand dittos on that one. The iPad Pro proves that the larger the enclosure, the more of a power-house Apple can make it. A 17" MBP coupled with a reasonably priced 4k or 5k display could be the perfect desktop replacement for many. But I would take such a step further. Give every MBP, regardless of size, the ability to DOCK with a display that has built-in GPU and CPU acceleration. That should allow the MBP to use its CPU and GPU along with the GPU and CPU in the Display Dock, giving you Mac Pro levels of performance. If "mobile" is really "the future" (like everybody's been saying for the last 16 years, then a PERFORMANCE DOCK (not necessarily an EXPANSION DOCK) would be the way to go.
    quinneycnocbui
  • Reply 24 of 62
    nasserae said:
    boeyc15 said:
    I have a 2013 15 inch rMBP. Im still 'wow'd' at how great it is. Cant see myself upgrading(unless on a whim) for a long time. [as I pound away on my 'newer' work computer(windows7/Dell tech computer)... that is utter and complete - ewww and yuck]
    I still use 2011 15" MBP and I don't see my self upgrading any time soon. I upgraded the RAM and replaced the HDD with SSD a month after buying it in 2011. The thing is still a beast.
    I also had a late 2011 15" MBP, the 2.4GHz i7 version with 16GB RAM and upgraded to a 1TB Samsung SSD.  It was fast, reading and writing at 500MB+ per second.  It really gave the MBP a nice boost in performance.  I sold it late last year and got a black Friday deal on the mid-2015 MBP 15" Retina with 2.8GHz i7 and 1TB Flash Storage on the PCIe x4 bus (8.0 GT/s).  The flash storage averages 1.5GB/second read/write...it is insanely fast.  I also appreciate the lighter weight compared to the heavier 2011 model.
    nasserae
  • Reply 25 of 62
    How likely would it be for Apple to redesign the MacBooks? They could use a MacBook typ screen, and the keyboard from the new iMac or the MacBook. The new cpu would require less battery so could they make a MacBook Pro machine at the size of a MacBook Air? Maybe this is just wishful thinking since I'm gonna buy a new machine, but it would be great to see a MacBook looking pro. Even if it was a bit thicker it would be gorgeous!
  • Reply 26 of 62
    josha said:
    I'm wondering what affect this new Intel Skylake CPU will have on Apple's support for previous software.  :(

MicroSoft just announced limited support for Windows 7 and older.

Pretty sure the part they'll be supplying Apple with be unlocked in this regard. 
  • Reply 27 of 62
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    Given Intel released their Xeon-Mobile , I thought Apple would actually all use Xeon across their Pro line. Mac Pro and Macbook Pro
  • Reply 28 of 62
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    mr. h said:
    I’ve got my fingers crossed that Apple is working on a bit of a revamp, rather than they are just waiting to stick new processors in the same case. I’m hoping that they will carry over the display technology from the MacBook - the display on a 15” MBP is one of the most power-hungry components so implementing something more efficient would give the MBP even greater battery life. Or, they could put in a smaller battery to make the MBP even lighter whilst giving the same 9 hour battery life.
    In terms of display, chasis, battery, keyboard, trackpad...the MacBook Pro is in a class of its own. There isn't a single laptop anywhere in the world from any OEM that even comes reasonably close in quality.

Processors are the only way to continually make MacBooks better. They are already practically perfect in every other way.
    canukstorm
  • Reply 29 of 62
    danvmdanvm Posts: 1,465member
    Last year I replaced my 2010 15" MBP with the new MacBook.  After owning 2 Pros and seeing the size of the new MacBook, I convinced myself that I really don't need a Pro machine.  So I got the MacBook and I really love the speed, size, weight, display and new trackpad. Even the single USB-C connector is no problem for me.  But I have to say that I may go back to the Pro just for the keyboard. I've given the MacBook an honest try with the new keyboard and I just cannot get used to it. I'm a fairly fast touch typist and I make so many mistakes now that I have to force myself to slow down my typing. It is almost like typing on nothing.  So I really hope the new Pros don't get the new keyboards.
    Yeah, I like everything but the keyboard. 
    Add me to the list of people who don't like the Macbook keyboard.  I'm still looking forward for replace in the future my MBA with a Macbook.  But that keyboard... :'(
  • Reply 30 of 62
    danvmdanvm Posts: 1,465member
    pmz said:
    mr. h said:
    I’ve got my fingers crossed that Apple is working on a bit of a revamp, rather than they are just waiting to stick new processors in the same case. I’m hoping that they will carry over the display technology from the MacBook - the display on a 15” MBP is one of the most power-hungry components so implementing something more efficient would give the MBP even greater battery life. Or, they could put in a smaller battery to make the MBP even lighter whilst giving the same 9 hour battery life.
    In terms of display, chasis, battery, keyboard, trackpad...the MacBook Pro is in a class of its own. There isn't a single laptop anywhere in the world from any OEM that even comes reasonably close in quality.

Processors are the only way to continually make MacBooks better. They are already practically perfect in every other way.
    I agree with you, except for the keyboard, where, IMO, Thinkpads still #1, plus the quality of construction is as good as MBP.  A part from that, I prefer the MBP characteristics.  
  • Reply 31 of 62
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    bobschlob said:
    Agreed. I tried one of the new bluetooth keyboards and I think I could get used to the travel (in fact, going back to my old MS keyboard – hitting the keys now seems like hard work!), but the keyboard spacing was a nightmare. The tiny cursor keys and the small return key that sends your fingers skidding onto you desk didn't help either.
  • Reply 32 of 62
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,081member
    Off-topic note to management:

If we can't get rid of the "dislike" button outright, is there a per-user option to at least hide it?  It's a childish, meaningless conceit.

Almost every entry on this page has been disliked once, and frankly it's distracting on a number of levels.  I've even caught myself "liking" a post that I otherwise would not vote on, simply because there's this seemingly random asinine downvote it has received. 

Maybe that's what you're after - reactionary participation at the lowest-common-denominator - but it has already gotten old, and not very much fun.

6Sgoldfish
  • Reply 33 of 62
    I'm definitely looking forward to an MBP refresh. I hope to pick one up when it is released. I work with Visual Studio so I use an AWS VM on my MBA. With a MBP I can stop depending on a remote VM and use Bootcamp/ VMWare Fusion to do my development locally.

A couple of unrelated queries:
    What's with the "and 4 others" types of posts? I'm afraid I don't understand the meme.
    Can we see who likes/ dislikes your post somewhere?
  • Reply 34 of 62
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    pmz said:
    mr. h said:
    Except the MacBook which has a better display. Hence my desire that Apple carry over the tech. I also hope they will bring the colour options to the Pro line.
  • Reply 35 of 62
    Downvote me all you want, trolls, fact remains that the MacBook Pro line is overdue for a serious design and hardware upgrade. It's basically the same machine inside out since mid 2012, and the only spec bump for 2015 was the force touch trackpad. Please. Apple hasn't accustomed its professional user base to this kind of idle stagnation. Running FCPX, Premiere and After Effects on these MBP configurations results in more beach balls than a sunscreen commercial. 
    edited January 2016 entropys
  • Reply 36 of 62
    6Sgoldfish is correct. Apple has more nerve than usual pushing a very expensive product out the door such as the 15'' MBP with it's 3 year old chip technology. But every year we get a new iPhone...yipee!
    cnocbuientropys6Sgoldfish
  • Reply 37 of 62
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    6Sgoldfish is correct. Apple has more nerve than usual pushing a very expensive product out the door such as the 15'' MBP with it's 3 year old chip technology. But every year we get a new iPhone...yipee!
    You might regret it if they do update. Given Apple's recent directions I can see them dropping all ports from the MBP except for a single USB-C port, including the headphone jack if the iPhone related rumour turns out to be true. I think the current MBP is pretty much perfect. I don't want to see it shrunk and end up with no ports, no mag-safe and a worse keyboard. It would be nice if Apple didn't shrink battery capacity, for once, and actually allowed for hugely extended battery life.
    entropys
  • Reply 38 of 62
    cnocbui said:
    You might regret it if they do update. Given Apple's recent directions I can see them dropping all ports from the MBP except for a single USB-C port, including the headphone jack if the iPhone related rumour turns out to be true. I think the current MBP is pretty much perfect. I don't want to see it shrunk and end up with no ports, no mag-safe and a worse keyboard. It would be nice if Apple didn't shrink battery capacity, for once, and actually allowed for hugely extended battery life.
    I don’t see why they would do that on the Pro machine. What you’re talking about here is Apple dropping the MacBook Pro completely, which I very much hope they don’t do.

I expect the next MacBook to have two USB C ports.
  • Reply 39 of 62
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    mr. h said:
    cnocbui said:
    I don’t see why they would do that on the Pro machine. What you’re talking about here is Apple dropping the MacBook Pro completely, which I very much hope they don’t do.

I thought I was describing the Macbookization of the Pro, not it's demise.  Your expectation of two USB-C ports I'll take as agreement :smile:

I imagine the hoards of people - all five of them - who have purchased thunderbolt accessories will be delighted.
  • Reply 40 of 62
    cnocbui said:
    mr. h said:

I thought I was describing the Macbookization of the Pro, not it's demise.  Your expectation of two USB-C ports I'll take as agreement smile

I imagine the hoards of people - all five of them - who have purchased thunderbolt accessories will be delighted.
    If you Macbookize the Pro to the extent you suggest, it is no longer a Pro, and just a MacBook.

I hope the Pro will have USB C and Thunderbolt.
    edited January 2016