Questionable rumor claims 'iPad Air 3' will have 4K display, 4GB RAM

Posted:
in iPad
Apple's next 9.7-inch iPad -- commonly referred to as the "iPad Air 3" -- could sport features like a 4K display and 4 gigabytes of RAM while simultaneously offering better battery life, supply chain sources claimed on Thursday.

The device will be announced in March, but only go into production in the second quarter, the sources told DigiTimes. Two firms, GIS and TPK Holding, will allegedly supply touch panels, with GIS also handling LCD modules and backlighting.

These claims may be questionable not just because of DigiTimes' mixed track record with Apple products but because Apple rarely announces a product before mass production starts. This practice has traditionally been reserved for major new product lines, like the iPhone or the Apple Watch.

Upgrading the Air to a 4K display would also give the tablet a sharper resolution than the 12.9-inch iPad Pro, which runs at 2048 by 2732 pixels. Apple might want such a feature, however, to offer more reasons to upgrade beyond just faster performance.

The sources added that the new Air won't come with 3D Touch, a claim that would be consistent with recent indications that Apple isn't bringing the technology to iPads anytime soon.

Reports have suggested that Apple could introduce a new Air model at a March press event, though the focus of that event is expected to be on things like a new 4-inch iPhone.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 42
    And my one word refutation of this rumor:  "DigiTimes"
    edited January 2016 calianton zuykovcornchiptallest skil
  • Reply 2 of 42
    josujosu Posts: 217member
    As somebody waiting for the next iPad update to upgrade from an iPad 2 that feels really dated and heavy, I will be very happy that the rumor were true. A9 and A9X chips can handle 4K without any problem, but I seriously doubt it, 4K will be in the Pro before, is the "canvas iPad" and there resolution is key. I will be very happy with the standard current retina if there's the A9X inside. The Apple product that IMHO must go 5K and 4K soon are the rMacBook Pros, to leave room for the Air to go standard Retina, they are the only product line without any retina version.
    cornchip
  • Reply 3 of 42
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    What would be the purpose to this? If they're going to make a 4K model, it would make sense to use the Pro as the platform.
    singularitycalicnocbuinolamacguycornchiptallest skil
  • Reply 4 of 42
    melgross said:
    What would be the purpose to this? If they're going to make a 4K model, it would make sense to use the Pro as the platform.
    DigiTimes. Nuff said.
    cornchip
  • Reply 5 of 42
    melgross said:
    Yup. Otherwise it's saying the pro line isn't the pro version
  • Reply 6 of 42
    What's the point in having 4K resolution on a 9.7-inch display when the human eye can't even resolve such pixel density? Seems like a waste of resources and nothing more than marketing hype to me.
    Mr_Grey
  • Reply 7 of 42
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Interesting rumor iPad really needs 4 Gb of RAM.   I'm not convinced though that a higher resolution display would offer any real advantages in a device that size.    What would be real interesting is if Apple can offer a slightly upgraded A9(X) chip.  That is will Samsung or TSMC be able to offer process improvements that might allow higher clock speeds out of the same chip at the same power levels.  

Maybe even that new stacked technology TSMC is so excited about which would mean a very tight package with RAM integrated in.  The idea here is that this tech could provide for an extremely fast RAM subsystem without a hit to the power budget.  In the end Apple needs either faster RAM or a much larger on chip cache to keep graphics performance moving forward.  It is the same problem all APU type chips suffer from, RAMmjust isn't fast enough for the GPU in these chips.  
  • Reply 8 of 42
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    Hope is no strategy but keep hoping. Never say never again but why Apple update ipad Air with 4K when Ipad Pro is not their yet ? 4K is just a spec other than real life impact on usability or user experience.
    edited January 2016
  • Reply 9 of 42
    The iPad Air 2 is already a beast. It seems reasonable that they would update the chip both for computing and graphics reasons. Approximately 4gig of RAM is a fairly good place to be. At least 3gig for sure. Probably do not need more than 4. I am ok with improving screen technology. I have always thought the screen resolution was fine even looking back to the first iPad. I never said to myself "This needs a better screen resolution". Open to thoughts on this but I am not sure why the screen needs to change unless it is to improve color, responsiveness, take weight out or something else. Resolution is already fine(see what I did there).
    cornchip
  • Reply 10 of 42
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    I highly doubt it is going to be 4K. Cost being the main reason.

I posted this on the iPhone 5se thread
    I think there will be a new A9, using TSMC 16nm FFC. So basically a cheaper, more power efficient A9. The Top bin, going up to 2Ghz will likely end up inside iPad Air 3. 

While the slower bin will be in iPhone 5se.

It may also finally come with Intel's Modem XMM7260, which should be slightly more power efficient then the one used in iPhone 5s Qualcomm 9615, not to mention cheaper.
    So the A9 in iPad will be similar to A9X in iPad pro except GPU ( CPU speed the same ), memory speed, and L3 Cache ( Not available on the A9X ). 

I have a suspicious feeling the iPad Air 3 may come with 3GB Ram, while the A9 in iPhone 5se will come in 1.5GB.

• Reply 11 of 42
    everyone is nagging about resolution. If you want to increase ipad sales back to growth, you need to give something new to consumers rather than keeping the same thing over and over again. Since ipad is primarily used for media consumption, 4k resolution will be a great incentive to upgrade. In fact also add in AMOLED screens, which is less likely right now, but still would give even greater incentive.
    flaneur
  • Reply 12 of 42
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    melgross said:
    zroger73 said:
    What's the point in having 4K resolution on a 9.7-inch display when the human eye can't even resolve such pixel density? Seems like a waste of resources and nothing more than marketing hype to me.
    Rumor has it Apple is targeting the android user. The average android user is to dumb to know better so they're gonna lure them in with specs that don't matter.
    Hey, since the human eye can't see any difference Apple could say it has an 11k screen. Shhh.. the droids don't know better.
    edited January 2016 Mr_Grey
  • Reply 13 of 42
    While I think 4K is not needed in the standard iPad, it would be nice as a feature in the rMBP, as previously stated. The RAM upgrade would be very welcomed, as it would help keep the device ready for future iOS upgrades. But that would probably slow the already long upgrade cycle even more, would could result in even less iPad sales. On the other hand, better specs could lead to better sales. Who knows...
  • Reply 14 of 42
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    While I think 4K is not needed in the standard iPad, it would be nice as a feature in the rMBP, as previously stated. The RAM upgrade would be very welcomed, as it would help keep the device ready for future iOS upgrades. But that would probably slow the already long upgrade cycle even more, would could result in even less iPad sales. On the other hand, better specs could lead to better sales. Who knows...
    4k is completely unnecessary in an iPad Air. The only way it would matter is if had 3D capabilities. Otherwise makes no difference to the human eye. Specs do impress dumb people though.
    Mr_Greycornchip
  • Reply 15 of 42
    cali said:
    4k is completely unnecessary in an iPad Air. The only way it would matter is if had 3D capabilities. Otherwise makes no difference to the human eye. Specs do impress dumb people though.
    Agreed. Especially about the specs part. All of my Android loving friends love to quote their phone specs.
    suddenly newtoncornchip
  • Reply 16 of 42
    Mr_GreyMr_Grey Posts: 118member
    Tomal_RKS said:
    everyone is nagging about resolution. If you want to increase ipad sales back to growth, you need to give something new to consumers rather than keeping the same thing over and over again. Since ipad is primarily used for media consumption, 4k resolution will be a great incentive to upgrade. In fact also add in AMOLED screens, which is less likely right now, but still would give even greater incentive.
    Well, people are kind of stupid generally speaking so you may be right about nonsense crap like 4K screens and AMOLED being "desirable" in that sense.  :)
  • Reply 17 of 42
    Mr_GreyMr_Grey Posts: 118member
    I'm starting to think that DigiTimes has such a reputation for this kind of nonsense that some of their "sources" are actually involved in pranking them with fake news.  It's certainly something I would do if I were in that position, if only for the laughs of seeing one's "scoop" travel around the world.  
    cornchip
  • Reply 18 of 42
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    In favor of this "report":

— Sooner or later, every device line will have to display 4K, just like the rest of the industry is headed. Your iPhone can already capture 4K. Your video editor can handle it, you must have a way to look at it. Not everybody has an iMac on the desk to look at it. Laptops will be 4K, so will iPads. Also note, "the eyes can't see the difference" is a bogus, low-concept argument. The brain can tell the difference. Video is tactile, as Marshall McLuhan pointed out 50 years ago. Side by side comparison will make this obvious or Apple wouldn't do it.

—GIS, General Interface Solution, is a Foxconn subsidiary, so this report might make sense of the deal-making between Sharp, Foxconn, Apple and even Samsung over all the oxide-film technology that this part of the display industry has been spending so much on over the past six years, and now even Dell is coming out with 4K IGZO monitors and (feeble) laptops.

Against this report is the obvious threat to the iPad Pro's prestige position. 
    canukstormcornchip
  • Reply 19 of 42
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Mr_Grey said:
    I'm starting to think that DigiTimes has such a reputation for this kind of nonsense that some of their "sources" are actually involved in pranking them with fake news.  It's certainly something I would do if I were in that position, if only for the laughs of seeing one's "scoop" travel around the world.   
    Yes, I believe you are the sort of person who would do that.
  • Reply 20 of 42
    cali said:
    Nonsense. Even if I can't see the difference between 400 and 500 ppi, my self-esteem can. I need specs to feel good about my tech. /s
    cnocbuicornchip