Production already underway for Apple's new 4-inch 'iPhone 6c' - report

Posted:
in iPhone
Apple has reportedly begun mass production of its new 4-inch handset, with the device slated for release this spring in a bid to kickstart sales in important emerging markets.

Development of the so-called "iPhone 6c" was completed in early 2015, according to Japanese financial newspaper Nikkei. Apple is said to delayed the new device's introduction until a more opportune moment.

The paper believes Apple will target the new 4-inch model -- which some call the "iPhone 5se" -- at consumers in emerging markets like India, where the company's more expensive models face an uphill battle among relatively poor consumers.

As the smartphone market becomes saturated in most industrialized nations, developing countries represent critical markets for manufacturers. Among the fastest-growing smartphone brands of 2015, most concentrated their efforts on places like India, Thailand, and China.

Little is known yet about the new iPhone, with nearly every aspect -- including its industrial design -- the subject of contradictory speculation. Some believe it will take after the iPhone 5s, while others say it will be more like a miniature iPhone 6.

Internals could include either the A8 or A9 processors and their corresponding M-series motion chips, along with anywhere from 1 gigabyte to 2 gigabytes of RAM and the possible inclusion of Touch ID and NFC support for Apple Pay.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 70
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    But emerging markets don't want a small screened phone, they want a large screen because the phone is a do-everything device.  That is why Samsung phablets were such a run away success.  within the last week I exchanged messages with someone wherein I suggested they do something on a PC because similar software was not available on a mobile platform.  They replied they only had a phone and didn't really know anyone who had a PC.  Think they were in India.

This is more a device suited to developed markets for people who don't want an S6 sized phone.
    canukstormpalomineretrogustoanantksundaramlord amhrancornchipjosha
  • Reply 2 of 70
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    I've always believed a mid cycle "c" phone would disrupt competitors and keep Apple in the minds of the media and fans pretty much year round. Would obviously help Apple's sales post-holiday season too.

Hope this is true. A March launch would be perfect.
    palomine
  • Reply 3 of 70
    Mr_GreyMr_Grey Posts: 118member
    AppleInsider is probably backing the wrong horse in the naming game here.  It's been said before by me and many others, but "iPhone 6c" makes absolutely zero sense as a name for this purported device.  It's is a ridiculous name for a device that has none of the iPhone 6 level features, and doesn't (as far as we know) come in multiple colours.  

I'm not convinced on "iPhone 5se" either, but it makes some kind of sense for a device that is based on an iPhone 5s.  
    edited January 2016 nolamacguy
  • Reply 4 of 70
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    Interesting rendering that has the display wrapping around the home button.
  • Reply 5 of 70
    Mr_Grey said:
    AppleInsider is probably backing the wrong horse in the naming game here.  It's been said before by me and many others, but "iPhone 6c" makes absolutely zero sense as a name for this purported device.  It's is a ridiculous name for a device that has none of the iPhone 6 level features, and doesn't (as far as we know) come in multiple colours.  

I'm not convinced on "iPhone 5se" either, but it makes some kind of sense for a device that is based on an iPhone 5s.  
    But if the device has ah A9 and M9 chip it's not based on the 5S.
    palominecornchip
  • Reply 6 of 70
    mike1 said:
    Interesting rendering that has the display wrapping around the home button.
    That rendering his hideous and ridiculous to boot. IF Touch ID gets integrated into the display it's not going to be a physical button with a silver or gold ring.
    pmzbsimpsencornchip
  • Reply 7 of 70
    Mr_Grey said:

The iPhone 6 has A8, 1 GB ram, 8mp camera, NFC, finger print. What is the 6c rumored to have?
  • Reply 8 of 70
    I never quite understood the logic of phablets and giant sized phones. Thats why I have stuck around with my 4S for all these years. 

The 4-inch handset will be a welcome addition for people like me who dont like big sized phones and apple should not pinch on functionality here. Give everything that 6S has got, only in a smaller form factor. India is anyways fascinated with big sized phones and there is a very little market for it. 

In my opinion, calling it a iPhone 6S Special Edition is actually a pretty cool idea instead of 6C.

AppleInsider said:
    Apple has reportedly begun mass production of its new 4-inch handset, with the device slated for release this spring in a bid to kickstart sales in important emerging markets.

Development of the so-called "iPhone 6c" was completed in early 2015, according to Japanese financial newspaper Nikkei. Apple is said to delayed the new device's introduction until a more opportune moment.

The paper believes Apple will target the new 4-inch model -- which some call the "iPhone 5se" -- at consumers in emerging markets like India, where the company's more expensive models face an uphill battle among relatively poor consumers.

As the smartphone market becomes saturated in most industrialized nations, developing countries represent critical markets for manufacturers. Among the fastest-growing smartphone brands of 2015, most concentrated their efforts on places like India, Thailand, and China.

Little is known yet about the new iPhone, with nearly every aspect -- including its industrial design -- the subject of contradictory speculation. Some believe it will take after the iPhone 5s, while others say it will be more like a miniature iPhone 6.

Internals could include either the A8 or A9 processors and their corresponding M-series motion chips, along with anywhere from 1 gigabyte to 2 gigabytes of RAM and the possible inclusion of Touch ID and NFC support for Apple Pay.

balu
  • Reply 9 of 70
    cali said:
    "Would obviously help Apple's sales post-holiday season too..."

Feb-Mar IS the holiday season. This is clearly targeted at Chinese New Year celebrations.
  • Reply 10 of 70
    If there were a name, for a phone that includes iPhone 6 tech, that is going to be the new 4" version. Call it a iPhone 6m, as in mini.
    Mr_Greypalomine
  • Reply 11 of 70

cnocbui said:
    But emerging markets don't want a small screened phone, they want a large screen because the phone is a do-everything device.  That is why Samsung phablets were such a run away success.  within the last week I exchanged messages with someone wherein I suggested they do something on a PC because similar software was not available on a mobile platform.  They replied they only had a phone and didn't really know anyone who had a PC.  Think they were in India.

This is more a device suited to developed markets for people who don't want an S6 sized phone.
    Sure. But in China and India they still prefer a 4 inch iPhone rather than a generic android phablet... and then they get an excuse to upgrade to the larger sizes once they are hooked on the IOS platform (which some 95% are).

It is very clever to have more basic entry points, which gets people onboard - while still having them envy the more expensive models....
  • Reply 12 of 70
    I knew the analysts that predicted the name would be iPhone 5 (fill in anything) were wrong. That was stupid and idiotic to think Apple employees would have to explain on an hourly basis "well I know it says 5 but it's our newest iPhone offering"...

why does AI even qualify these people by releasing such stupid predictions?
    linkmanpalomineRayz2016calicornchip
  • Reply 13 of 70
    bnzfive said:
    If there were a name, for a phone that includes iPhone 6 tech, that is going to be the new 4" version. Call it a iPhone 6m, as in mini.
    Or just use '6c' and define 'c' as 'compact

palominebalucali
  • Reply 14 of 70
    Mr_Grey said:

The iPhone 6 has A8, 1 GB ram, 8mp camera, NFC, finger print. What is the 6c rumored to have?
    The bolded items are irrelevant to the definition.  Apple's customers don't generally buy the phone based on spec'y things like that.  

The primary selling feature of the iPhone 5 was the new screen size
    The primary selling feature of the iPhone 5s was TouchID
    The primary selling feature of the iPhone 6 was the larger screen.
    The primary selling feature(s) of the iPhone 6s was Force Touch and a stronger body material.  

The new smaller iPhone, if it exists, is therefore much more a "5" than a "6" it seems to me.  It certainly doesn't seem that it will have any of the features that were the primary selling points of the iPhone 6 or 6s.  It will however have TouchID and the same screen dimensions and general size of the iPhone 5.  

It's all speculation at this point anyway.  It could turn out to have ForceTouch for example.  That alone would justify the "6." Or all this could be diversion and neither name will be used.  No one really knows and Apple has a history of doing wacky things.  

It does also kind of make sense marketing-wise that it might be "iPhone 5se" because the target market is exactly those people out there with an iPhone 5 in their hands right now.  Those are the people that Apple is hoping to push to upgrade with this device.  I think the segment of the market that is going to downgrade from a 6 series phone to a smaller phone is probably very small.  This is an upgrade for iPhone 5 users.  
    edited January 2016 nolamacguyJamesBBcornchip
  • Reply 15 of 70
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member
    razormaid said:
    I knew the analysts that predicted the name would be iPhone 5 (fill in anything) were wrong. That was stupid and idiotic to think Apple employees would have to explain on an hourly basis "well I know it says 5 but it's our newest iPhone offering"...

why does AI even qualify these people by releasing such stupid predictions?
    Yes, please give us some cold hard facts. There's so much conjecture about future iPhones that it isn't even worth writing about. I can't access the Nikkei site to see if it has something solid, maybe even a quote from somebody other than a supply chain analyst or investment firm.
  • Reply 16 of 70

Mr_Grey said:

I disagree, (see my response to "tommy0guns"), but it's all speculation at this point.  In any case, I'm not saying the name will be "iPhone 5se," just that on balance there are more reasons and more logical reasons for it to be that than there are for it to be called "iPhone 6c."  

If it were up to me, I would probably go with "iPhone 6 mini" but there has been no indication that Apple has even considered this name.  No leaks, no rumours etc. So, in the "debate" (if one can call it that) over which of the two leaked names is more likely, I still have to go with "iPhone 5se" if only because "iPhone 6c" is just so nonsensical. 
  • Reply 17 of 70
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,694member
    Mr_Grey said:

It's based on the 5s form factor.
  • Reply 18 of 70
    tenlytenly Posts: 710member
    Mr_Grey said:
    The bolded items are irrelevant to the definition.  Apple's customers don't generally buy the phone based on spec'y things like that.  

The primary selling feature of the iPhone 5 was the new screen size
    The primary selling feature of the iPhone 5s was TouchID
    The primary selling feature of the iPhone 6 was the larger screen.
    The primary selling feature(s) of the iPhone 6s was Force Touch and a stronger body material.  

The new smaller iPhone, if it exists, is therefore much more a "5" than a "6" it seems to me.  It certainly doesn't seem that it will have any of the features that were the primary selling points of the iPhone 6 or 6s.  It will however have TouchID and the same screen dimensions and general size of the iPhone 5.  

It's all speculation at this point anyway.  It could turn out to have ForceTouch for example.  That alone would justify the "6." Or all this could be diversion and neither name will be used.  No one really knows and Apple has a history of doing wacky things.  

It does also kind of make sense marketing-wise that it might be "iPhone 5se" because the target market is exactly those people out there with an iPhone 5 in their hands right now.  Those are the people that Apple is hoping to push to upgrade with this device.  I think the segment of the market that is going to downgrade from a 6 series phone to a smaller phone is probably very small.  This is an upgrade for iPhone 5 users.  
    There is no Force touch on the 6s. Force touch is a feature found on the Apple Watch - and as far as I know is binary in operation.   You're either pressing it or you're not.  The 6s feature you're incorrectly referring to as "force touch" is actually called "3D Touch" which can differentiate between many different levels of pressure.
  • Reply 19 of 70
    Huh? 1. Apple does not enjoy the brand name power in emerging markets that they do in developed ones. In those areas, Apple is not an aspirational brand. 2. Emerging markets prefer bigger screen devices. In fact, in many of them the 4.7' iPhone 6 is considered small. That is because - see #1 - the iPhone 2, 3, 4, 5 did not set the expectations and reference frames for mobile devices to where anything over 4' was considered big. In those markets, 4' inch phones are now seen as very cheap budget phones like the LG Destiny or Blu Advance. 3. As a result, when these folks see the iPhone 6 Plus as a "normal" phone, an iPhone 6 as a "small phone", they are going to see the iPhone 6c - as it will cost $200 less than an iPhone 6 and $350 less than a 6 Plus - as a cheap, bad phone that Apple is for some reason charging way more than everyone else charges for their low end models. (And it doesn't help matters that Samsung has been charging way too much for their own cheap models in emerging markets for years. That is the main reason why Samsung has lost so much business to the likes of Xiaomi, Oppo, Intex, Yu and Huawei in those markets ... they charge much less for much better phones.) In other words, this shows that Apple really does not get the emerging markets. They are thinking that everyone is like China. The problem is that while China does have a huge "emerging market" of hundreds of millions of people, they also have a sizable middle and upper class of hundreds of millions of people! So even the hundreds of millions of lower income people know about Apple products in China because the middle and upper class people in China have them. (And also because emulating western fashions and trends and buying western products is fashionable among the Chinese upper class.) That makes Apple an aspirational brand. But in places where the middle and upper classes are nowhere near as large - and are less likely to emulate the rich and famous in America - paying $400 for a 4 inch phone when you can get a 6.3" phone from LeTV (that is right, phones in emerging markets get really big, up to 7" because in those areas they are primary computing devices, replacing the tablet and the laptop) for $250. Now I don't think that Apple is as badly misplaying the Indian and other emerging markets as Google did with their failed Android One program (and Microsoft did trying to blanket the market with budget Windows phones over there and wound up taking an even bigger loss). I think that the real reason is Apple is paving the way to offer a mid-tier line. The first dip in the water will be 4' phones that they claim will be for developing countries, but they will follow it up with 5' phones for the same price that they market everywhere after the precedent is set. This is the first step in having an iPhone equivalent of the iPod Shuffle ($30), MacBook Air (currently can be had for $720 new on eBay) or Mac Mini ($499) and of course the iPad Mini ($250, which is the same price as a small Android tablet like the Nexus 7 or an Asus MemoPad 7). Bottom line: the maturation of the smartphone market means that Apple is going to have to start coming down on prices just like everybody else. This is just a face-saving way to do it.
    balu
  • Reply 20 of 70
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    The paper believes Apple will target the new 4-inch model -- which some call the "iPhone 5se"
    His name is Mark Gurman. Worst product name ever. I hope Apple release an A9-powered 4" iPhone 6 and name it iPhone 6 mini. I also secretly hope it's ~4.2". That or 4.3" is around the perfect size for my needs. 4.7", I don't like.
    edited January 2016