Apple Pay support reported to arrive at Bank of America, Wells Fargo ATMs

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2016
Bank of America and Wells Fargo are reportedly working to bring Apple Pay compatibility to their respective ATM machines, meaning iPhone and Apple Watch owners might soon be able to complete transactions using provisioned debit cards.

While neither bank confirmed plans to incorporate Apple Pay into upcoming ATM digital wallet solutions, representatives intimated such potential to TechCrunch on Thursday.

Wells Fargo ATM lead Jonathan Velline said a team of engineers has been tasked to develop a hardware and software solution that will bridge the gap between mobile device wallets, like products marketed by Apple and Google, and physical cash dispensers. Android Pay is confirmed for Wells Fargo's initial rollout, but Apple Pay could be next.

"We've been working on the technology that allows us to hook to digital wallets, leveraging NFC on mobile phones to replace the card at the transaction at the ATM," Velline said. "Right now the wallet that we support is Android Pay."

Wells Fargo plans to support multiple wallet types and is currently investigating which systems are most suitable for their customers, Velline said. Considering its relatively high adoption rate among smartphone users, Apple Pay is likely among the front runners for program integration.

Bank of America's Consumer Banking Products representative Betty Riess was less candid in discussing future plans, though she implied Apple Pay could join existing ATM support for mobile wallets, the report said. Like Wells Fargo, Bank of America is developing a cardless ATM solution to allow customers with NFC-enabled smartphones to authenticate and complete transactions.

A rollout for Bank of America's solution is expected in late February at a number of ATMs in Silicon Valley, San Francisco, Charlotte, New York and Boston, with wider support to follow mid year, Riess said. Wells Fargo did not offer a timeline for launch.

While users can add debit cards to iOS Wallet, NFC Apple Pay payments are currently limited to partner merchants with appropriate hardware. In a conference call on Tuesday, Apple CEO Tim Cook said Apple Pay is now accepted at over five million terminals.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Someday I hope I ditch all plastic cards and only need to carry my iPhone to pay for retail purchase transactions and banking including withdraw money from ATM.
    brian greenlostkiwiksec
  • Reply 2 of 23
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    One less card in my wallet and ESPECIALLY one actually connected directly to my money: a welcome future.
    brian greenlatifbpksec
  • Reply 3 of 23
    This would be a very cool feature. Especially when one has to worry about security (e.g., the use of card skimming devices and such) or for convenience (e.g., using the ATM while sitting in a car when it's sometimes tough to position the exact height and the distance to insert the card easily). 
    brian green
  • Reply 4 of 23
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Give me the ability to withdraw cash at my Wells Fargo ATM, and pay for gas with ApplePay, and it will just about remove most reasons why I carry my plastic cards.

Sounds like we're getting really close to that!
    brian greenlostkiwi
  • Reply 5 of 23
    Nice that Apple Pay is getting more adoption everywhere. It should be noted that the best source for anonymous and secure transactions is still cash and it'll be a dark day when the US eventually becomes a cashless society. Fiat money which exists without real scarcity (it is easily manipulated for political purposes) and is controlled by a central bank eventually will become worthless. It doesn't matter if fiat currency is paper or digital. 
    edited January 2016
  • Reply 6 of 23
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,064member
    Doesn't Apple get a fee for each apple pay transaction? What is in it for the bank? They will pay that fee? Because I sure as heck won't.

Prediction: the last thing in your physical wallet will be your state driver's license. State government and technology are like oil and water. fuggetabouddit
  • Reply 7 of 23
    eightzero said:
    Doesn't Apple get a fee for each apple pay transaction? What is in it for the bank? They will pay that fee? Because I sure as heck won't.

Prediction: the last thing in your physical wallet will be your state driver's license. State government and technology are like oil and water. fuggetabouddit
    http://www.digitaltransactions.net/news/story/Apple-Pay_-No-Charge-for-Merchants_-But-Transaction-Security-Fees-for-Issuers

https://www.bluepay.com/blog/im-small-merchant-what-will-apple-pay-cost-me-get-and-running/
    edited January 2016
  • Reply 8 of 23
    When can driver license / insurance card etc be put on iPhone? Is there regulation and non-discrimination law require they either be put on all smartphones or none? It is moving so slow.
  • Reply 9 of 23
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member

mubaili said:
    When can driver license / insurance card etc be put on iPhone? Is there regulation and non-discrimination law require they either be put on all smartphones or none? It is moving so slow.
    Some states do permit the insurance card to be placed on the iPhone but I'm not aware of any state that will let you put your driver's license on your iPhone as a substitute for the actual paper license.   Besides, let's say you get stopped.  Do you really want the officer taking your iPhone back to the patrol car with them?   I don't - they look at your email and anything else.   And imagine the back and forth if the officer accidentally hits the side button or takes too long and the phone returns to the state where you have to enter the password again.   You're going to be carrying a driver's license for the foreseeable future.  
    anantksundaramnolamacguybooboo
  • Reply 10 of 23
    What functionality does Apple Pay provide in this ATM use case? Is it just authenticating the user?

I'm not implying that's minimal, I'm just trying to understand if it's something more than that.
  • Reply 11 of 23
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    wood1208 said:
    Someday I hope I ditch all plastic cards and only need to carry my iPhone to pay for retail purchase transactions and banking including withdraw money from ATM.
    Almost there. I have Wells and Chase which take 2/3 if the branches in California. I can really ditch the bank cards now. Soon will be CC. One left is Driver License which should go digital too.
    edited January 2016
  • Reply 12 of 23
    mubaili said:
    I don't think Insurance requires physical cards at all. All you need is policy number and secondary ID.
  • Reply 13 of 23
    What functionality does Apple Pay provide in this ATM use case? Is it just authenticating the user?

I'm not implying that's minimal, I'm just trying to understand if it's something more than that.
    To eliminate your swipe and PIN process which can be intercepted when crooks install magnetic scanner on ATM-> security and convenience!
    edited January 2016
  • Reply 14 of 23
    eightzero said:

Iowa: http://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/news/politics/2014/12/08/iowa-digital-smartphone-drivers-license/20114979/
  • Reply 15 of 23
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    "Android Pay is confirmed for Wells Fargo's initial rollout, but Apple Pay could be next." Why would they start with Android Pay when they've been hawking ApplePay for so long? I also don't like the "could be next" comment. 

lostkiwi
  • Reply 16 of 23
    normmnormm Posts: 653member
    rob53 said:
    "Android Pay is confirmed for Wells Fargo's initial rollout, but Apple Pay could be next." Why would they start with Android Pay when they've been hawking ApplePay for so long? I also don't like the "could be next" comment. 
    Android wasn't able to negotiate any fee from banks for Android Pay, so it's cheaper for the banks to push that.  I think Apple should just not charge banks for ATM transactions.

• Reply 17 of 23
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    It is hard to get rid of cash ( for many non technical reason ), but it is much easier to get rid of cards.

There are now retails in certain countries that allow you to pay with cash, and has the changes debited to you in digital form.
    ( Why you may ask? Because some businesses want cash flow and saves the processing fees from credit card )
  • Reply 18 of 23
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member

BOA or WFC spoke person has not clearly articulated how ApplePay will used at ATM. My guess is mainly authentication like current ATM/Debit/Credit card..At back-end, your bank account is somehow linked through ApplePay. They are rolling out in select citiy next month.
    edited January 2016
  • Reply 19 of 23
    Nice that Apple Pay is getting more adoption everywhere. It should be noted that the best source for anonymous and secure transactions is still cash and it'll be a dark day when the US eventually becomes a cashless society. Fiat money which exists without real scarcity (it is easily manipulated for political purposes) and is controlled by a central bank eventually will become worthless. It doesn't matter if fiat currency is paper or digital. 
    They won't even get rid of pennies because of the political implications and you think we're going to officially go cashless?   Not happening.   And it figures you're opposed to the Fed.  At least you're consistent. 

• Reply 20 of 23
    (I thought I already responded to this, but I don't see my post.  Sorry if it's posted twice).

They won't even get rid of pennies which cost more to make than they're worth and are a pain for retailers and everyone who uses them and you think we're going to go cashless?   Never going to happen in any of our lifetimes.   And it figures that you hate the Fed.  At least you're consistent.    But the dollar is doing quite fine right now - in fact its strength is actually a bit of a problem because it makes U.S. products expensive elsewhere, so it hurts exports.