Oracle to phase out much-maligned Java browser plugin

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    jony0jony0 Posts: 378member
    and last time i used my bank's check-deposit web app, it required this stupid plugin, which is the only reason i keep it around.
    Yikes, of all things to use the Java plugin, once one of the most common vectors for security exploits.
    I'd be very concerned and would minimise my use of it for such sensitive personal and financial data, particularly if one of those exploits included a key logger.
  • Reply 22 of 28
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Interesting reading here the misconceptions  and lack of knowledge about the difference between Java and the Java browser plugin debate.
    gatorguyargonaut
  • Reply 23 of 28
    Dang, I'm going to miss unchecking the "Install toolbar with ads" button every other month.
    suddenly newton
  • Reply 24 of 28
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    welshdog said:
    volcan said:
    Like government. That is about the only place I see it anymore.
    I have tons of things that use Java every day. Will be interesting to see how this shakes out.
    Same for Flash.   I have Flash turned off as a default, but almost every website I go to asks me to turn it on.   I don't think use of Flash is going away for a long time.   And very few sites that I use are actually HTML5.  
  • Reply 25 of 28
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    Mr_Grey said:
    welshdog said:
    I have tons of things that use Java every day. Will be interesting to see how this shakes out.
    Java, or Java browser plug-in?  There is a difference.  

I find that it's hard to get rid of Java in the OS because many programs still require it, but I haven't had the Java web plug-in activated or installed for years and years. 
    Both actually, but yes a fair number of web browser needs. One of my security cameras can only be set up with a browser and java plug. I think the Etrade website uses it for some displays. Maybe my bank. There are others, but I can't remember them right now.
    edited January 2016
  • Reply 26 of 28
    rezwitsrezwits Posts: 879member
    The whole thing is it's all about security for the need to update, but I use release 6 and I could care less about updating and breaking 3 apps to goto 7 or 8. But if I am only using Java 6 for "My Apps" on "My Computer" and the Web Plug-in is gone, then who needs to update their Java, as long as it's disabled. I know the Apps I use are secure. I mean sure there is always that chance you download a "Java app" and then launch it in the finder on your own, but stop doing that! :D
  • Reply 27 of 28
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Finally Java and Flash will be gone!
    Despite the supposed promise of Html5, I have seen scant sign of Flash going away.