Apple merges iTunes Radio channels into Apple Music, Beats 1 now lone free-to-stream service

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2016
As announced earlier this month, Apple on Friday discontinued free access to ad-supported iTunes Radio channels, folding the content into Apple Music as part of a broader push to grow adoption of its subscription service.

Today's change in availability marks the first time iTunes Radio has gone behind a paywall since its launch in 2013. An email sent out to Apple Music subscribers earlier in January informed users of the merge, saying Beats 1 would subsequently be marketed as the company's "premier free broadcast."

For non-subscribers, attempts to access iTunes Radio on Mac triggers the pop-up seen above. Titled "Get on Our Wavelength," the window contains a link to sign up for an Apple Music subscription and urges listeners to join Apple Music for curated streaming stations and music from "just about every song ever recorded."

When Apple first announced a shift away from ad-supported channels, BuzzFeed reported the move was linked to the company's decision to withdraw from the mobile ad sales business. That same day, Apple informed developers of plans to shut down the iAd App Network on June 30.

iTunes Radio launched in 2013 as a free service for iOS 7, Mac, Apple TV and Windows PCs. Like similar offerings from Pandora, Apple's ad-supported free-to-stream product offered listeners pre-programmed music playlists with limited song skips.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    It's a pity that iTunes Match users aren't given an amnesty to keep using radio until time for renewal (or the expected conclusion of this service.) Especially since the Apple Music trials seemed to have interfered with the proper function of Match.
    kenstrandlolliverlostkiwi
  • Reply 2 of 26
    Mr_GreyMr_Grey Posts: 118member
    I will never ever listen to Beats 1 or even consider it until they remove the goddamn advertisement from my iPhone.  

So rude.

• Reply 3 of 26
    Hm. It still working on my ATV3. 
  • Reply 4 of 26
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Mr_Grey said:
    I will never ever listen to Beats 1 or even consider it until they remove the goddamn advertisement from my iPhone.  

So rude.

Mmmm. That's funny. I pressed that button on my phone and it didn't advertise anything. It just started playing Beats 1. 

lolliverjahblade
  • Reply 5 of 26
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member

It's a pity that iTunes Match users aren't given an amnesty to keep using radio until time for renewal (or the expected conclusion of this service.) Especially since the Apple Music trials seemed to have interfered with the proper function of Match.

Yes, I would have like to have seen that.

Better yet, I would have liked the subscription for Apple Music to include Match.

edited January 2016 lolliverEsquireCats
  • Reply 6 of 26
    Mr_Grey said:

So rude.

I use that button almost everyday. Loving it!
    lolliver
  • Reply 7 of 26
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    And BBC World service. Once again, I repeat.

edited January 2016
  • Reply 8 of 26
    Mr_Grey said:

So rude.

Interesting. This is the sort of random, low-level intrusiveness that we old-timers used to complain about Microsoft doing....
  • Reply 9 of 26
    It's as if they want to push people to Spotify. I love the iTunes integration, but taking away the free stations for iTunes Match customers doesn't make me want to rush to pay them more money to recover functionality that I previously had.
    kenstrandmike1cnocbui
  • Reply 10 of 26
    I wonder if the record labels had something to with this. Still crappy for iTunes Match customers. Anyway I was never a fan of the stupid Beats acquisition and I'm still not. What exactly has Jimmy Iovine brought to Apple?
  • Reply 11 of 26
    Mr_Grey said:

So rude.

Interesting. This is the sort of random, low-level intrusiveness that we old-timers used to complain about Microsoft doing....
    This doesn't bother me nearly as much as someone getting a 6S full screen advertisement when they launch the App Store app. Someone's pay should be docked for that.
  • Reply 12 of 26
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member
    Buh bye. I've downloaded the Amazon Prime Music App for those few instances when I don't want to listen to my music. I used to buy songs that played on iTunes Radio stations that I set up if I liked them. Ads didn't bother me and I can't stand the Beats radio thing. Will not pay yet another monthly fee, this time to borrow music. I admit it used to be convenient using my ATV to access my stations, but I'll make do.
    stevenoztrumptman
  • Reply 13 of 26
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

I have both iTunes Match and Apple Music, they work as advertised and have since day one. The only issue I had was one or two album artwork mismatches and those corrected themselves.
    cornchiplostkiwi
  • Reply 14 of 26
    This doesn't bother me nearly as much as someone getting a 6S full screen advertisement when they launch the App Store app. Someone's pay should be docked for that.
    I agree. 

My pet peeve? When I add a name and phone number to my Contacts and want to quickly get on with my life, it goes into my email, and fills out (in greyed-out form) every single additional field for that person, from info found in my emails (other phone numbers, email addresses, any mailing address that happens to be on the emails whether that happens to be right or wrong, etc.).

The only way to get rid of it is to go into each field, click on the right arrow, and touch 'Ignore.'

I find that mega-intrusive and a damn waste of time (since, if it's all there six months now, I'll probably think it's all correct and end up calling the wrong number or sending something to the wrong address). 
  • Reply 15 of 26
    If  you Pay for Apple Music you will not receive any Ads. 
  • Reply 16 of 26
    jason98jason98 Posts: 768member
    BBC still works for me. Music radio is not. :( 
    back to Pandora and tunein
  • Reply 17 of 26
    On Family plan with 6 friends
    $14.99 per month + taxes / 6 users x 12 months  = $32.04 per user, PER YEAR

Unlimited everything with No Ads

No Brainer
    ….Next
    edited January 2016 lostkiwi
  • Reply 18 of 26
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    Oh well, good-bye iTunes Radio (free, but with annoying ads), hello Earbits (with no ads and free).  
  • Reply 19 of 26
    As a paying iTunes Match customer this leaves me a wee bit frustrated... oh well, there is always Pandora and Spotify.
  • Reply 20 of 26
    Too bad my iTunes Match renewed for another year 3 months ago. Not happy, as this was one of the pillars of the service. Renewal disabled. Goodbye iTM. 
    cwallace84