Apple merges iTunes Radio channels into Apple Music, Beats 1 now lone free-to-stream service

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    This move is a slap in the face for Match subscribers.  I understand that with Wall Street obsessing over iPhone sales they feel the need to boost services revenue, but ad-free iTunes Radio was hawked as a feature of the iTunes Match subscription (see below).

Considering that I can stream my whole collection (as lossless ALAC files!) to my devices for free using PLEX, iTunes Match has no value to me without Radio.  I've now turned off Match on all my devices and submitted a request for a pro-rated refund.  Very disappointed Apple!
  • Reply 22 of 26
    On Family plan with 6 friends
    $14.99 per month + taxes / 6 users x 12 months  = $32.04 per user, PER YEAR

Unlimited everything with No Ads

No Brainer
    ….Next

It's just me and my wife.  So $15 a month / 2 users x 12 months = $90 per user per year, or $180 total.

Granted, I get access to all the music, but I didn't really ask for that.  Part of the reason I'm paying $50 a year for us to both have iTunes Match was that I not only got my personal song library available anywhere, but I could make radio stations like Pandora, but with no ads.

• Reply 23 of 26
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    mike1 said:
    Buh bye. I've downloaded the Amazon Prime Music App for those few instances when I don't want to listen to my music. I used to buy songs that played on iTunes Radio stations that I set up if I liked them. Ads didn't bother me and I can't stand the Beats radio thing. Will not pay yet another monthly fee, this time to borrow music. I admit it used to be convenient using my ATV to access my stations, but I'll make do.
    This is one of the best points I've read so far because it was true for me as well.

I have Amazon Prime Music and used a combination of Pandora and iTunes Radio. The algorithms that drove iTunes Radio were never very good so I would last for maybe 30 minutes or so of listening when I would try it. However when I did hear a song that was new and I liked it, I would add it to my list of songs to buy from iTunes. In offering an inferior and more expensive solution, Apple deprives themselves of my money twice over. First I am more likely to use a competitor. In fact right now I have Spotify on my phone because they offered me three months of premium for $.99. Second when I use a competing service, I may or may not end up purchasing music through iTunes. Amazon is quite good with their ability to buy the CD and then immediately download the MP3's as well.
  • Reply 24 of 26
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,267member
    Interesting. This is the sort of random, low-level intrusiveness that we old-timers used to complain about Microsoft doing....
    This doesn't bother me nearly as much as someone getting a 6S full screen advertisement when they launch the App Store app. Someone's pay should be docked for that.
    Yes, and the constant, irritating demands to install the latest iOS update.  It's intrusive to the point of being offensive. I will do it when it is convenient, and since I turned four, have not enjoyed being nannied.  I would like to see the bastard that authorised that extremely annoying system feature get drawn and quartered, and their head placed on a petard at the entrance of One Infinite Loop as a lesson to others.

And then I would really start the punishment.
  • Reply 25 of 26
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,822member
    It's a pity that iTunes Match users aren't given an amnesty to keep using radio until time for renewal (or the expected conclusion of this service.) Especially since the Apple Music trials seemed to have interfered with the proper function of Match.
    I nearly had a heart attack there for a moment ... I thought you were saying iTunes Match's services were close to conclusion!

• Reply 26 of 26
    I'm very annoyed. I don't like the music on Beats 1, I like my specific radio stations that I've tuned to my tastes. This is just a blatant money grab from the richest, greediest company in the world. I've now cancelled my Match subscription. I preferred Apple under Steve Jobs. He liked to create the best products and believed the business would follow. Tim Cook seems to only care about the numbers.