Google launches dedicated AdWords app for iOS

Posted:
in iPhone
Even as Apple's iAd prepares to sunset, Google has launched a long-awaited iOS app for AdWords -- not just AdWords Express -- giving people running campaigns through the service a more convenient way of monitoring and managing them.

The centerpiece of the app is the Home screen, where people can see a quick summary of figures like clicks and impressions, along with trends over time. Users can customize which data appears and in what order.

Management tools let users start or halt a campaign, adjust daily budgets, and control bids for ad groups or keywords. Other tabs offer billing information, as well as suggestions on how to improve a campaign's performance.

The app will also trigger notifications about important events, such as a campaign stopping because of insufficient funds. If a person needs help another tab offers quick links for calling or emailing Google, or else finding support documents.

AdWords is a free download and runs on any device with iOS 7 or later. An Android version is also available.

iAd was meant to compete with services like AdWords, but was beset with obstacles from the start. At first Apple demanded a $1 million minimum buy, also insisting on close control. The company relented over time, reducing buy-in to as little as $50 in some cases, but still faced problems like iOS exclusivity and Google's entrenched position in the mobile ad world.

Although iAd will continue to exist in the near future, Apple recently decided to kill the iAd App Network and eliminate a number of sales jobs. It may eventually turn iAd into little more than an automated service.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    steviestevie Posts: 956member
    I hate Google.
    rhinotuffsuddenly newton
  • Reply 2 of 12
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    stevie said:
    I hate Google.
    Congratulations! You want a cookie?

Many businesses use Google heavily and use iPhones as well.
    sergioz
  • Reply 3 of 12
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    I still can't see how abandoning iAd was a good idea. They had a chunk of marketshare. Only reason I can think of is Apple having something bigger in the works. Something that'll take more ad marketshare/profit than iAd did or an ad-less ecosystem.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    Ugh.  Please just kill yourself if you use this app or service. 
  • Reply 5 of 12
    stevie said:
    I hate Google.

My business uses Google also. But I don't. And if I find out a business uses Google, I go elsewhere. 
    aderutter
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Mr_Grey said:
    Now now. Serving ads to the public is a noble profession. /s
    sergioz
  • Reply 7 of 12
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    stevie said:
    I hate Google.

My business uses Google also. But I don't. And if I find out a business uses Google, I go elsewhere. 
    :) You can make it a clean break if you quit your job.
    BTW, Apple uses Google ad services too. Still going elsewhere? 
    edited January 2016 lord amhran
  • Reply 8 of 12

That is so dumb to say! 
  • Reply 9 of 12
    Mr_Grey said:
    stevie said:
    I hate Google.
    My how it is entertaining yet depressing and frustrating to peek at AppleInsider every now and then.  You guys never disappoint.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Mr_Grey said:
    These idiotic "brand wars" are just about as pathetic as Ford vs GM vs Ram pickups or Pepsi vs Coke. It all comes down to choice. Anyone that suggests what you just did is either a troll or a poor excuse for a human being.
    singularity
  • Reply 11 of 12
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Thank goodness for iOS content blockers.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    joshajosha Posts: 901member
    Google you do create some good software, but I realize you are only thinking of your advertising profit,
    by spying into my personal life.
    So I'll definitely pass on this one, you are getting in my way far to much recently.