Innovation still undecided on Sharp rescue plans as Foxconn raises bid, tries to allay job fears

Posted:
in General Discussion
In the bidding war for Sharp, Innovation Network Corp. has yet to decide on a possible rescue plan, even as rival Foxconn is raising its bid and promising not to cut Japanese jobs, a report said on Friday.

Innovation -- a fund backed by the Japanese government -- was expected to come up with a bailout plan on Friday, according to Reuters, but executive director Tetsuya Hamabe told reporters that "no formal decision" had been made after a meeting of the fund's upper echelons. Sources told Reuters that the group has been considering injecting over 300 billion yen ($1.7 billion) into Sharp, which would be paired with another 350 billion yen ($2.9 billion) in assistance from the company's two principal lenders.

Foxconn, meanwhile, has reportedly raised its bid from 625 billion yen (about $5.2 billion) to 659 billion ($5.4 billion). The claim that it won't cut jobs is presumably a means of appealing to leaders in Japanese government and industry worried about the damage a foreign takeover could cause.

As recently as Wednesday, Sharp was said to be leaning towards Innovation despite its nominally lower bid.

Whatever the outcome, the resulting entity will end up having Apple as a major client. Foxconn is Apple's main assembly partner, while Innovation would likely merge Sharp's display unit into Japan Display, an Apple supplier it formed out of parts of Sony, Toshiba, and Hitachi.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    Ugh. I just wish I didn't have to keep seeing the same word that is used for the most common 'anti-Apple meme', over and over again.
    I'm sick of that word.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    I'd rather see Innovation get it. The less Foxconn the better. 
  • Reply 3 of 13
    bobschlob said:
    Ugh. I just wish I didn't have to keep seeing the same word that is used for the most common 'anti-Apple meme', over and over again.
    I'm sick of that word.
    Which word?
  • Reply 4 of 13
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,564member
    bobschlob said:
    I'm sick of that word.
    Which word?
    I couldn't infer the right word either. Maybe Innovation? Foxconn? Sharp? Or... Jobs?
  • Reply 5 of 13
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    Wow these Japanese high tech giants are getting hit hard by China and Korea. 
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Apple needs to revisit their relationship techniques a little. Top Gear preferring Amazon, Sharp leaning towards Innovation, top talent leaving for Google; all are indicative of distrust
  • Reply 7 of 13
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    I just picked up a great deal on a Sharp HD TV for a bedroom, the price was ludicrous, I have to wonder if this 'for sale' situation is the reason.  I might buy a few more!
  • Reply 8 of 13
    Japan Display is in trouble. Once Apple moves to OLED, there are only two major suppliers capable of providing the numbers of OLED displays to meet iPhone demand. Especially if the iPhone 7 has wireless charging capability along with a gorgeous OLED display which will greatly accelerate demand for the new device. 

There's no way that JDI can meet that kind of demand especially in a technology they haven't deployed in any major fashion. 

Only LG and Samsung can meet that kind of demand. 

What does Innovation plan do with a display manufacturer that is technologically a dinosaur? The money would be better spent doing further R&D in beefing up JDI's OLED capabilities. 

I will purchasing LG's stunning 3D 4k 65 inch OLED television in the near future. There is nothing made in Japan that even comes close to that television. Actually, there is nothing made anywhere in the world that comes close to that display. 
  • Reply 9 of 13
    Apple needs to revisit their relationship techniques a little. Top Gear preferring Amazon, Sharp leaning towards Innovation, top talent leaving for Google; all are indicative of distrust
    You are delusional if you think Foxconn=Apple. Oh, and top talent leaving for Google?.. lol.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    Japan Display is in trouble. Once Apple moves to OLED, there are only two major suppliers capable of providing the numbers of OLED displays to meet iPhone demand. Especially if the iPhone 7 has wireless charging capability along with a gorgeous OLED display which will greatly accelerate demand for the new device. 

There's no way that JDI can meet that kind of demand especially in a technology they haven't deployed in any major fashion. 

What does Innovation plan do with a display manufacturer that is technologically a dinosaur? The money would be better spent doing further R&D in beefing up JDI's OLED capabilities. 

I will purchasing LG's stunning 3D 4k 65 inch OLED television in the near future. There is nothing made in Japan that even comes close to that television. Actually, there is nothing made anywhere in the world that comes close to that display. 

JDI do produce OLED. And out of the three, only LG has an OLED that is cost effective for Apple. Samsung will get WOLED later this year, but even that wont be enough for Apple. So i dont see much of a chance for OLED on iPhone 7.

As a matter of fact JDI is currently the biggest supplier to Apple Display. And will likely be this way for the foreseeable future thanks to the weakening of Yen. JDI has its LCD display tech that brings lower power, better force touch decision, deeper black, as well as coloring in the pipeline. Which will likely to used in the 7 series of iPhone.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member

It's doubtful that Foxconn would be so interested if the Japanese LCD industry were so obsolete.
  • Reply 12 of 13

I wouldn't buy any 4K TV that's smaller than 75". I'm aiming for ~90" currently.
    edited January 2016
  • Reply 13 of 13
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Not sure if it's related to all this but there are some great bargains on Sharp HD TVs just now!