App face-off: Apple iMessage vs. WhatsApp Messenger

Comments

• Reply 21 of 45
    Mr_GreyMr_Grey Posts: 118member
    lostkiwi said:
    I had WhatsApp for quite a while but ditched it as soon as the Zuck took over.
    Those jokers at Facebook are even creepier than Google... and that takes talent.
    That's funny because before Facebook took over it was way insecure and full of bugs and adverts.  It's still pretty crappy and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, but before Facebook it was a nightmare. 
  • Reply 22 of 45
    I use an iPhone, an iPad, a MacBook and an iMac.  I like the shared communication experience that is iMessage/Messages across these products.  

In the office, however, I use a chromebox+VNC to access a linux server where my "work" desktop lives.  Sure, I could replace this chromebox with a Mac mini, but then IT takes control of my system.  (A chromebox in the office is treated the same as an iPhone - it's a BYOD with access to secured wifi.)

There are times when I'd like to communicate from my chromebox to people who use iMessage/Messages, so I have to find an alternate solution.  This is usually a google voice number + hangouts + SMS.  Sure, it works, but it's not the same as Messages.

I would like for Apple to provide access to Messages through icloud.com.  

The value to me would be not having to give up the benefits of Messages when communicating from a non-Apple device.  
    The value for Apple would be to strengthen its brand loyalty by eliminating one more reason for users to seek out non-Apple solutions.
    edited January 2016 gatorguy
  • Reply 23 of 45
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member

Nice twins reference. :-)
    lukei
  • Reply 24 of 45
    koopkoop Posts: 337member
    As a Nexus 6P owner I'd use imessage over WhatsApp the minute it its released. Lots of friends use iPhones.
    gatorguy
  • Reply 25 of 45
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Imessage's benefits would be tight integration with the platform, that's the benefit of all Apple's service.
    Don't know why this is always dismissed like it would be of no importance at all when it's a crucial Apple advantage.
  • Reply 26 of 45
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    freerange said:
    mdoss said:
    Er... once connectivity has been established with the web interface using the QR code, there is no need to keep re-scanning the QR code for every successive session. It's purely a one time thing.

I am on an iPhone 5 with an iMac and run WhatsApp on both everyday. I only had to scan the QR code the first time I set up the web interface.

Second point, audio calling on WhatsApp has not been unreliable as the article seems to suggest. Call quality has always been excellent with crystal clear audio and no lag or echo of any kind.

Finally, for those of us concerned with Facebook's data mining, there's an equally good alternative - Telegram. Telegram tout security as their USP.

Unfortunately, as crofford said, until Apple decides to make iMessage cross-platform, WhatsApp is the way to go. The whole world uses WhatsApp.

The author makes a claim at the very end about iMessage being the more well-rounded robust solution. I am afraid my experience has been quite the opposite. It's WhatsApp that I believe is more well-rounded, sheerly in terms of ubiquity and working on practically every device out there; and more solid in terms of reliability. Again, that is just my experience. YMMV.

Cheers
    "The whole world uses WhatsApp." Ummm, wrong! A significant part of the world is using a far superior service to WhatsApp - Wechat! WhatsApp is a total POS compared to WeChat. AI, let's get on the ball and compare these two third party apps. As to Wechat, best of all, it's not part of Facebook!
    What part of "As of January 2016, the global WhatsApp user base numbered just shy of 1 billion people, a huge percentage of the world's population rivaled only by FaceBook" didn't you understand? 
  • Reply 27 of 45
    Mr_Grey said:
    lostkiwi said:
    I had WhatsApp for quite a while but ditched it as soon as the Zuck took over.
    Those jokers at Facebook are even creepier than Google... and that takes talent.
    That's funny because before Facebook took over it was way insecure and full of bugs and adverts.  It's still pretty crappy and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, but before Facebook it was a nightmare. 
    I agree with all what you said except the word "adverts"
  • Reply 28 of 45
    hike1272 said:
    I receive a lot of "Whatsapp" spam.
    Don't want to use something that generates spam.
    (Whether Whatsapp generates spam directly or indirectly through a third party, I don't care.  I don't buy MetLife because of their spam generation either.)
    Where do you receive this WhatsApp spam, and how do you know it's WhatsApp that's the cause?
    gatorguyabedoss
  • Reply 29 of 45
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    hike1272 said:
    (Whether Whatsapp generates spam directly or indirectly through a third party, I don't care.  I don't buy MetLife because of their spam generation either.)
    Where do you receive this WhatsApp spam, and how do you know it's WhatsApp that's the cause?
    Maybe he's confusing it with Kik. 
    gatorguy
  • Reply 30 of 45
    mdossmdoss Posts: 40member
    One more point in the original article was about being tied to only one phone number. That again is not an issue. I travel a lot to different parts of the world and I usually always get a local SIM. And then when I open WhatsApp, it gives me the choice of changing the associated phone number or ignore the message and continue using WhatsApp using the old number. I usually just use the old number and it has never been a problem.

Cheers
    williamlondonabedoss
  • Reply 31 of 45
    Wee. 1996 called and we're debating which IM app is better. Sad.
    nolamacguy
  • Reply 32 of 45
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    Whatsapp is an excellent app, comparable to iMessage in quality.
    Its the current message standard (for example in Brazil a judge tried to shut it down but was overruled by a higher court because of the social importance of the app: it's the only option for people with little money and is widely used by almost everyone) and as such a nessesity to have, unless you only know people with iOS devices.

• Reply 33 of 45
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    Yes lets use Facebook and Twitter that's much better than point to point communication.
    I do like the 'likes' and the 'followers' that's so childlike and hip.
    I also like to be exploited commercially and have all my info on the street, when hacked.
    I also like to do what's the trend currently; I have no mind of my own, what would be the craze after FB and Twitter....
  • Reply 34 of 45
    xbitxbit Posts: 390member
    There's two features I really like about WhatsApp:

1) I get charged for MMS. If iMessage fails to send a photo as an iMessage, it uses MMS. WhatsApp just fails and asks me to try again later.

2) WhatsApp can save incoming photos automatically. My wife is always sending me photos of our kid and I like knowing that they're automatically saved.
  • Reply 35 of 45
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    xbit said:
    There's two features I really like about WhatsApp:

1) I get charged for MMS. If iMessage fails to send a photo as an iMessage, it uses MMS. WhatsApp just fails and asks me to try again later.
    You can turn that off in Settings > Messages > Send as SMS (OFF)
    john.bmagman1979nolamacguy
  • Reply 36 of 45
    I mean who has a group of friends, family and colleagues who all use Apple devices ??? I am Australian and live in Germany and everybody I know has Whatsapp. I woud have expected an article introducing users to iMessage, because to be honest I haven't used iMessage much at all, even though I have an iPhone, Mac and iPad. It's about the people you need to speak with not what device you have. Until Apple decides to go cross platform as most have said it won't get any real traction.
  • Reply 37 of 45
    You've gotten a wee-bit bitter off-late. I am interested in knowing why. 
  • Reply 38 of 45
    hike1272 said:
    I've been a whatsapp user for about 7 years and never received any spam. Not once. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 39 of 45
    Most of my friends have iPhones so I use iMessages a lot here in the US. My other "international" friends I tend to use WhatsApp with even if they have an iPhone for some reason. Lastly, after having lived in Korea for four years I still use KakaoTalk everyday with friends from there.  
  • Reply 40 of 45
    ipilyaipilya Posts: 195member
    @marty - I had to stop reading your article when you started spouting off on completely inaccurate statements. A complete loss of credibility in my view.