Is installing flash plugin safe for OS X?

Posted:
in Genius Bar
I have just recently bought a used 2011 mac mini with great specs. The mini runs super fast because I bought it with 16 gb of ram and a 128 gb SSD. 

I have the latest OS updates, 10.11.3 El Capitan and the mini needless to say runs great. This thing really flies for a computer made in 2011 thanks to the updated ram and SSD.

I use safari for web browsing exclusively and I would  like to keep it that way. Unfortunately I need to be able to use adobe flash for a few web sites to play live video.

I have heard nothing but bad things about adobe flash running on not just macs but pc's as well. I don't really want to install it but I would like to view some site that require it.

What has me worried and I am not liking it is when I try to install adobe flash on safari the adobe installer wants me to login as admin and I don't understand why. I have been downloading and installing a lot of software lately and I have yet to be asked to login as admin for a software install. 

Why is adobe flash asking me this?

Is this software install interested in installing software I am not aware of?

Its asking me to give them (root) access by logging in as admin to install seems sketchy to me.

Is this software safe for my Mac?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    The Flash installer adds a Flash related item to the Control panel.  It would need the admin authorisation to do this.  I imagine there are other reasons it would need it as well.

Adobe is one of the worlds largest software creators.  They are not a Russian mafia crook or ISIS recruiter.  Apple wouldn't have their apps in the app store if they didn't trust them so installing Flash and allowing it Admin rights to do that is not a problem.

Flash does have a very bad reputation as being a vector for attacks, however, Adobe seem to be very quick to patch it, sometimes several times a week.  If you install Flash it will have to updated frequently, but you can allow it to do this automatically.

I have Flash installed and have had it for as long as it has been in existence.  I have never suffered from malware or an attack, that I know of.  While a lot of people think you shouldn't ever install or use it, there are just so many websites that use it that I want to use that I don't know how people can do without.

So yes, in my experience it is safe.
    edited January 2016
  • Reply 2 of 4
    cnocbui said:
    The Flash installer adds a Flash related item to the Control panel.  It would need the admin authorisation to do this.  I imagine there are other reasons it would need it as well.

Adobe is one of the worlds largest software creators.  They are not a Russian mafia crook or ISIS recruiter.  Apple wouldn't have their apps in the app store if they didn't trust them so installing Flash and allowing it Admin rights to do that is not a problem.

Flash does have a very bad reputation as being a vector for attacks, however, Adobe seem to be very quick to patch it, sometimes several times a week.  If you install Flash it will have to updated frequently, but you can allow it to do this automatically.

I have Flash installed and have had it for as long as it has been in existence.  I have never suffered from malware or an attack, that I know of.  While a lot of people think you shouldn't ever install or use it, there are just so many websites that use it that I want to use that I don't know how people can do without.

So yes, in my experience it is safe.
    Than you for that quick reply. 

Years ago I was very careless with what I installed on my computer. I've never really encountered any problems with malware or viruses at all. However with my last mac towards the end I believe I might have encountered a virus of some sort. I was at the time downloading a lot of youtube videos and I believe I may have infected my old  2006 Macbook pro which by the way was on its way out for various other reasons. I remember towards the end of that macs life I was noticing significant slowdown with quicktime to the point it quicktime was unusable.

Well now I am back with my first mac and first computer since 2010. I am very excited to have a fast working mac and the ram and ssd really make it a great little system.

This time around I am trying to be extra careful about what I put on this mini.

Thanks for the help
  • Reply 3 of 4
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    cnocbui said:

Than you for that quick reply. 

Years ago I was very careless with what I installed on my computer. I've never really encountered any problems with malware or viruses at all. However with my last mac towards the end I believe I might have encountered a virus of some sort. I was at the time downloading a lot of youtube videos and I believe I may have infected my old  2006 Macbook pro which by the way was on its way out for various other reasons. I remember towards the end of that macs life I was noticing significant slowdown with quicktime to the point it quicktime was unusable.

Well now I am back with my first mac and first computer since 2010. I am very excited to have a fast working mac and the ram and ssd really make it a great little system.

This time around I am trying to be extra careful about what I put on this mini.

Thanks for the help
    You're welcome.

OSX will fall to it's knees if the free HD space gets much below 10 GB.  Despite claims to the contrary, you seem to need to reboot OSX every now and then for it to be able to realise HD space from deleted files is actually there.  I very much doubt you got an infection from downloading youtube videos.  If you filled up your HD by doing so, that might have done it.  OSX is pretty secure.  The main thing you have to watch out for is installing apps that require your admin password that aren't from the App store or from a reputable source.  Also any website asking to install something should be treated with extreme suspicion and denied permission.
    edited January 2016
  • Reply 4 of 4
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Another thing to take into account is that when a critical flaw is identified in Flash, it is disabled until you update to a new secure version.