Apple Music search stops working for many users

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
Apple Music's search feature was down for many subscribers on Monday, leaving much of the service impractical to use.

Typing into the search field in the iOS interface currently shows either no results, or a list in which tapping a result returns an empty screen, according to complaints seen on Twitter, Apple's support forums, and directly by AppleInsider. The problem can't be fixed by force-quitting the Music app or even doing a device reset.

The issue appears to have begun overnight, with no indication of how or when it might be resolved. Readers reached out to AppleInsider to note the issue.

Without search it becomes impossible to find a specific artist, album, or song, forcing users to listen to radio or existing collections.

The nature of the situation suggests a glitch with Apple Music servers, although Apple's official System Status page doesn't mention any ongoing difficulties. Just last week Safari was plagued by crashes linked to the browser's search suggestion feature -- that issue was ultimately solved on Apple's end.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    steviestevie Posts: 956member
    Works fine for me.
  • Reply 2 of 18
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    I had the problem for about ten minutes last night, then it began working again.
  • Reply 3 of 18
    Still working for me.
  • Reply 4 of 18
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    Although search is still working for me, now I get 'An error occurred' when going to the For You tab.  I'm sure they'll get it all sorted.
  • Reply 5 of 18
    Not working on my iPhone 6
  • Reply 6 of 18
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    Add to the Cue! :trollface: 

>:x
  • Reply 7 of 18
    Time to execute Order 66!
  • Reply 8 of 18
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    I'm sure it's an annoyance, but I love the attempt the writer made to get an ounce of traction from a pretty dull story.

… Without search it becomes impossible to find a specific artist, album, or song, forcing users to listen to their own music collection.
  • Reply 9 of 18
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member

Still working for me.
    Mmm. Maybe not a global thing then.
  • Reply 10 of 18
    I for one am sick of paying premium prices for beta quality software.
    mr ojackansi
  • Reply 11 of 18
    torusoft said:
    I for one am sick of paying premium prices for beta quality software.
    Doesn't appear this issue is affecting everyone.
    magman1979lolliver
  • Reply 12 of 18
    Working fine for me.
    magman1979
  • Reply 13 of 18
    Write an article every time you have problems with your bandwidth and blame it on an Apple product... Keep the negative spin coming.

There is only two days left before Tim Cook starts re-purchasing shares again...
    edited February 2016 magman1979
  • Reply 14 of 18
    Apple Music is a mess. counter-intuitive interface, personal playlists of my own music hidden layers deep in a clunky, unresponsive interface. They need to spend a lot of time fixing Apple Music, making it way to use and completely overhaul iTunes. As a long term Apple fanboy, I am disillusioned and fed up of the mess. First subscription I've cancelled, not worth the money until the interface is much improved and my music is given the same priority in the interface as the Apple Music library.
    mr o
  • Reply 15 of 18
    nelmat said:
    Apple Music is a mess. counter-intuitive interface, personal playlists of my own music hidden layers deep in a clunky, unresponsive interface. They need to spend a lot of time fixing Apple Music, making it way to use and completely overhaul iTunes. As a long term Apple fanboy, I am disillusioned and fed up of the mess. First subscription I've cancelled, not worth the money until the interface is much improved and my music is given the same priority in the interface as the Apple Music library.
    All music services are at a low level of maturity at this stage. I agree with you that there is plenty of room for improvement, but being a previous Spotify and Pandora subscriber, don't see this as an Apple specific issue.

All of them needs to improve to really be worthwhile the subscription fees...
    nelmat
  • Reply 16 of 18
    Apple Music's search feature was down for many subscribers on Monday, leaving much of the service impractical to use.

Typing into the search field in the iOS interface currently shows either no results, or a list in which tapping a result returns an empty screen, according to complaints seen on Twitter, Apple's support forums, and directly by AppleInsider. The problem can't be fixed by force-quitting the Music app or even doing a device reset.

The issue appears to have begun overnight, with no indication of how or when it might be resolved. Readers reached out to AppleInsider to note the issue.

Without search it becomes impossible to find a specific artist, album, or song, forcing users to listen to radio or existing collections.

The nature of the situation suggests a glitch with Apple Music servers, although Apple's official System Status page doesn't mention any ongoing difficulties. Just last week Safari was plagued by crashes linked to the browser's search suggestion feature -- that issue was ultimately solved on Apple's end.
    I went into Apple Music settings. Turned off show Apple Music. Turned back on, search started working
    booboo
  • Reply 17 of 18
    nelmat said:
    I've read comments like this before, and they discouraged me from trying Apple Music. I was also waiting for the Sonos integration.

Well, Sonos released their Apple Music integration as a beta, and so, with some hesitation, I signed up for Apple Music, half-expecting to be disappointed.

However, I haven't been disappointed at all. Not once. I haven't experienced any of the disasters that I read about. I got the family subscription, and my wife can't believe this is for real. All-you-can-eat music. What's the catch? The playlists suggested in For Me have been wonderful. It's really easy to use. I'm knocking on wood in hopes that saying these things won't jinx it and make my Apple Music service fall to pieces.

I dunno, maybe I was lucky because I waited until the Sonos integration was ready and I missed all the glitches in the early days? Anyway, it's been great for me and my family.