Alleged 'iPad Air 3' case suggests Smart Connector coming to Apple's 9.7-inch tablet

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    Mr_Grey said:
    This makes a lot of sense and not just for keyboards.  Imagine charging stands and monitor support.  

The iPad would be a more attractive value proposition if one could walk up to a desktop, click it into a keyboard/cradle that has OS X built in, and use it as the monitor.  iOS while mobile, OS X when seated in the connector.    

I wonder if they will do it for the iPad mini.  The keyboard cases for iPad are bad enough, the ones for the mini are almost unusable.  I suppose so though.  If there is one thing Apple really likes to do it's make everything the same regardless of whether it makes any sense. 
    Forget OS X, the iPad will be more attractive if you can click it in a dock and connect it to a keyboard and other peripherals, even monitors, but keep running iOS. It's the next logical extension for the OS, to support these peripherals better and to become a more full-fledged OS by supporting desktop-like situations. Think of it as a more elegant, Apple version of Microsoft Continuum.
    canukstorm
  • Reply 22 of 28
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Mr_Grey said:
    tmay said:
    I would like to see Apple instead "gift" the lightning connector to the USB group as a replacement.  In essence I agree with what you're saying, I just think that lightning could carry all the same data and it's just a better plug.  To me, USB-C is only really a better plug compared to it's clunky USB predecessors.   
    An unbelievably callous (and callow) comment, if you are serious, which of course you're not, being that you're our new Benjamin Frost.

Those of us with some intelligence know how much work and money Apple spent on that brilliant connector, and how much goodwill they risked in introducing it, and how much better it makes the Apple experience every time you use it.

"Gift" us by going to MacRumors where you belong. 

• Reply 23 of 28
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Mr_Grey said:

The iPad would be a more attractive value proposition if one could walk up to a desktop, click it into a keyboard/cradle that has OS X built in, and use it as the monitor.  
    No, it absolutely positively would not be of any additional interest to any average consumer if that were possible. 
    nolamacguy
  • Reply 24 of 28
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,700member
    Mr_Grey said:
    This makes a lot of sense and not just for keyboards.  Imagine charging stands and monitor support.  

The iPad would be a more attractive value proposition if one could walk up to a desktop, click it into a keyboard/cradle that has OS X built in, and use it as the monitor.  iOS while mobile, OS X when seated in the connector.    

I wonder if they will do it for the iPad mini.  The keyboard cases for iPad are bad enough, the ones for the mini are almost unusable.  I suppose so though.  If there is one thing Apple really likes to do it's make everything the same regardless of whether it makes any sense. 
    Forget OS X, the iPad will be more attractive if you can click it in a dock and connect it to a keyboard and other peripherals, even monitors, but keep running iOS. It's the next logical extension for the OS, to support these peripherals better and to become a more full-fledged OS by supporting desktop-like situations. Think of it as a more elegant, Apple version of Microsoft Continuum.
    Agreed. For many people looking to use their tablets as PC replacements, this would be a great feature.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 25 of 28
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    Mr_Grey said:

the foundation is there, iOS already supports external displays in certain situations -- auto head units being one. Pioneer's AppRadio has iOS apps running on your phone and rendered on the head unit display, complete w/ touch-events support. CarPlay is basically the same thing now.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 26 of 28
    Here's what I've been trying to post:

This makes sense. Smart Connector everywhere! Looking forward to Apple or other companies creating Smart Connector compatible musical instrument keyboards, gestural controllers (like the Roli Seaboard Rise), video editing and color correction stations, etc.
    edited February 2016 williamlondon
  • Reply 27 of 28
    the foundation is there, iOS already supports external displays in certain situations -- auto head units being one. Pioneer's AppRadio has iOS apps running on your phone and rendered on the head unit display, complete w/ touch-events support. CarPlay is basically the same thing now.
    Exactly, and let's not forget tvOS, a rudimentary non-touchscreen version of iOS using a trackpad for input.

I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see those three little dots make their way into more iDevices, it sure would provide support for a vibrant peripherals market if the docking worked with all iDevices and they all supported the Smart Connector.
  • Reply 28 of 28
    jony0jony0 Posts: 378member
    tmay said:
    Mr_Grey said:

It does make a lot of sense, iOS when mobile, and iDevices as input/output to Mac's when seated (but not running OS X).

I would expect Apple is trying out various compositions of Macs and iDevices to see what works and what doesn't, and then adding the successful configurations to its roadmap.

Yes it does make a lot of sense to expand the uses of an iPad for OS X input/output. In fact I went a little further in the August discussion :

IDC speculates an Apple 'iPad Pro' could help invigorate 2-in-1 tablet market - iPad Discussions on AppleInsider Forums

I do think that there could be a few use cases for a different kind of combination, not a 2-in-1 like the Surface, but more like a 1+1 arrangement, for many road warriors who find themselves hesitating to bring either their MacBook or their iPad, but particularly for those who end up lugging both along. For the latter case I could see a iPad Pro clipping in to not just a keyboard but what could be very similar to the computer part of the new ultra thin MacBook. The iPad would then simply be the OS X computer's output monitor, while still being an iPad in the background, with any tasks handled by Handoff. Once back in the office or at home one could simply unclip the iPad and connect to a larger monitor using the new port or a separate USB-C for a full desktop setup and still have an iPad available for work or play or share with family members. As such it would be sort of a Mac mini with integrated keyboard, which could also be sold separately as a standalone product for an ultra compact desktop solution.

Obviously if you only need one device then just use the more productive one for the task at hand, period. Get an iPad or a MacBook. The configuration mentioned above is not for those who need only one device since it's heavier than either of the two singular devices, but a lighter combination for those who tend to carry both. It’s arguably a small niche market, but then again, considering the actual sales of 2-in-1 machines, I think it could fare better. Keep in mind that you would now have between 10 and 20 hours of use since there would be batteries in both devices or even have many configurations of the keyboard component, such as keyboard only with or without trackpad, with or without computer with or without battery, depending on needs, such as processing, weight or budget considerations. I don’t see Apple offering all combinations though.

Again, this would not be a big market but if done right at a fair price. It's certainly something I would want to buy to replace my old iPad 3 and MBP 17" 2008.