Apple correcting Siri "abortion" search issue uncovered in 2011

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 63
    tenlytenly Posts: 710member
    tenly said:
    But it shouldn't.  These organizations exist and it's a map products job to help you find and get to the place you need to go.  It's ridiculous for a maps product to apply filters or censorship tied to the author or owners morals, values or ethics.

People don't use "maps" to research their options for making important life choices - they use search engines like Google and Bing.  Only after they've done their research and made their decision will they turn to maps to help them get to the place at which they already have an appointment.

Hahahah, hahahahah, hahahahahahahhahaha.

Okay: "Hey Siri, please help me shoot up a school."

According to tenly: "These are the nearest gun shops."

According to ethical humans: "Maybe you should check out these anti-depression hotlines first."

/wipes tears. I love libertarians. Yes, please, let's not let ethical thought creep into our utopia.

Edit: The ultimate irony of your post is that Apple was required to introduce filters for this search because planned parenthood wasn't advertising that they help with abortions enough to get them on the standard search result. lol! Oh the irony. Thanks for the laugh.
    Dude - if you're going to quote people, make sure you get the context right.  In my post, I clearly said that if you ask Siri where the nearest gun shops are, she should tell you.  You're quoting me and saying that according to me - if someone says they want to shoot up a school, Siri should give them a list of gun shops.

It is the exact opposite of what I said.  I am distinguishing between legal and illegal.  The only thing i said about the original posters example of "shooting up a school" is that it was clearly illegal and it was irrelevant and nonsense that he even brought it up.

This post of yours here today is every bit as bad as the one you made a month ago where you claimed that husbands should have the right to beat their wives when they don't do as they're told.  lol!  Not in this country buddy.  Anyhow - you were obviously wrong about the wife beating (I see that you've gone back and deleted the post - or did the mods delete it?) and you're also wrong about this.
    edited February 2016 numenorean
  • Reply 62 of 63
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    volcan said:
    That says a lot. Sad. You post a lot of Christian philosophy - Why don't you go out and help the poor and those in need? They won't forget you.
    It’s not about being remembered; it’s just about doing the right thing when you were there.
    You said: I’m working on the ‘fade out’ approach....

How is living under a rock doing the right thing?
  • Reply 63 of 63
    Some of the comments here are just plain sad. It would seem some people here shouldn't live in the U.S. since they would like to censor freedom of speech and eliminate the rule of law. Abortion clinics are legal. You can say whatever you want and think whatever you want, but they continue to be legal, and therefore, people have a right to find them and use them. If Siri aspires to be used for search, then the search should provide what I'm asking for: an abortion clinic. It shouldn't attempt to push someone's specific view or sense of morality upon me. It should simply deliver what I asked for like any other search engine. Someone looking for an adoption clinic would have used adoption and not abortion as their search word, or did Siri not understand the difference between the two? What would the reaction have been, had it been the other way around? It's not sad. It's not strange. It's been a legal practice since 1973, which means it's been legal and normal and happening in large numbers for a large portion, if not all of our lives. If one disagrees, one can attempt to vote it out. That's a democracy, and that's what the U.S. is supposed to be. In the meantime, people can continue to do it and search for it.

I'm glad they corrected it. It has nothing to do with belief or opinion. It's legal and people have a legal right to search for it and use it. It's not being advertised. People are looking for it, and they should be able to find it.

So, Siri, where can I abort adults? ;)

Just pondering...
    Your last comment almost accidentally alerted your rational thought to the absurdity of your completely rational position. If you try to be completely rational you become just as bad as fundamentalist.

i.e. search companies shouldn't help people find guns who search "Hey siri, please help me shoot up my high school." And in fact, google does this now with searches on suicide, ISIS, and school shootings.

Libertarian rationalists like yourself should check yourselves every so often. 
    You should restudy your labels. Believing in the rule of law does not make one a libertarian (look it up). I believe in democracy and the rule of law, which is what the U.S. government is based on. Believing in the rule of law is believing in what a society has decided is legal or illegal and actually following it whether one likes it or not. Believing in democracy is believing that we should vote as a community as to what is and isn't law. Like I said, you may agree or disagree with abortion or abortion clinics, but if you decide to live in the U.S., then you have to abide by the rule of whatever the people have decided is or isn't legal. The people's government have decided that abortion and abortion clinics are legal. It's that simple. Don't like it? Go vote to change it.

Shooting up a school is an illegal activity. Murder is an illegal activity. Owning a gun is not. So no, your search engine doesn't have to help you with shooting up a school, but it does and should help you with finding a gun shop, or a place to purchase guns. Again, abortion is legal, whether or not you think is murder doesn't matter. The people have democratically decided that it's an acceptable practice and that it isn't murder. And if you look at the figures, the amount of people that have practiced it clearly favors that opinion. So, your argument equating school shootings with abortion clinics is ridiculous, especially if you live in the U.S. or any country that accepts and follows the rule of law and has determined that abortion is acceptable and legal.

Maybe, what bothers you about my comment is that I'm being rational instead of exploding into belief or morality and that I'm accepting a reality you don't like. I'm only expressing the reality if you live in the U.S. You can like it or not, but that's the reality. That's the facts. If you have any questions about the U.S. government, federal laws or the laws of your state, and how the country works, go study it. You can ask Siri to find it for you. And again, if you don't like it, go vote.

Just pondering...