B&W G3 for cheep?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Dose any wone know were I can get a used B&W G3 for not a lot of money? I'd rather go through a regular store than eBay too. Also, I do meen cheep, like around $100. If this is impossible just say so. Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    [quote]Originally posted by smithjoel:

<strong>Dose any wone know were I can get a used B&W G3 for not a lot of money? I'd rather go through a regular store than eBay too. Also, I do meen cheep, like around $100. If this is impossible just say so. Thanks.</strong><hr></blockquote>

<a href="http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/powermac_g3/stats/powermac_g3_300_bl.html"; target="_blank">http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/powermac_g3/stats/powermac_g3_300_bl.html</a>;

any B&W is worth at least, and i mean min $400 probably...you might be able to find it cheaper, but that is what it is worth. I'm using one and by just adding ram (384mb it has now...but its a 400MHz), i run 10.1.5 at decent speeds and its not bad at all (but i did ad a 60gb FW HD)
  • Reply 2 of 4
    that's what I was afraid of... how about the beige model?
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Yep you have to remember, macs really hold their value for a long time. PC's are like jags, their value drops signifigantly the second its driven off the lot.

Im guessing a very basic beige G3 would be between $200 and $300. I have a B&W G3 400 w/ 640 ram, 2- 7,200rpm 60 gig IBM drives, 48x burner, zip drive that i wouldnt get rid of for less than 7-800 dollars (im not about to sell it anytime soon, still a great workhorse for music production along with my quicksilver 867). Sorry bout the price man, you can only get shit hardware for that kinda money. Maybe an older winblows 95 machine at like 100 mhz. :eek:
  • Reply 4 of 4
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    If you're going to find one for cheap, you won't get it that cheap. However, the best you can do as far as online stores are concerned is macofalltrades.com. They are about the only dealer I've seen with reasonable prices. I'm sure there are others but most of them rip you off. Anyway, their selection changes quite often, and it's usually quite poor, but what is there is usually really cheap.

Edit: The only way you'll get a G3 for $100 (it is possible!) is to find a PCI PowerMac (such as a 7500) and put in the cheapest G3 upgrade you can find. I've seen them for as little as $65. So if you find a cheap PCI PowerMac for $35, there you have it. I think the cheapest I saw was a ZIF carrier PCI card with a G3/266 processor.

[ 09-24-2002: Message edited by: Luca Rescigno ]</p>