Apple patents hover-sensing multitouch display

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    jkichline said:
    The Android trolls are out in full force today, parading around in their little furry Android outfits, trumpeting the victory of the almighty Google and their overlords, Alphabet.  One such participant announced "that it's a fact that Google innovates more then Apple".  I beg to differ. I'd like to see them match this technology.

Personally, I think Apple is in a lull on purpose as they ramp up the next round of releases this year.  They also don't care if their stock "sinks" a little because we all know they are not going to play Wall Streets little game.  They will wait until the time is right and prove once again that Google is just an advertising company with little side projects to keep smart people interested in them.
    They dance and praise around a company that sells their personal info. How stupid do you have to be to do that?
    Anyone who thinks innovation reflects stock price is a jack ass. ESPECIALLY someone who believes copycat companies are more innovative than Apple. What was the last Giggle invention? That Glass thing?

foggyhill said:
    mausz said:
    http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/skp/faq/1053493 

Different technical implementation and actually removed on the S6 (from TouchWiz)
    So, another shit implementation from Samsung.. Big surprise... Also, how does that relate in any way to Google?

ALL iKnockoff manufacturers relate to Google. All 1,300 companies are in the same team VS. Apple.

It's why fandroids combine sales of thousands of phones against iPhone.

Notice when a new iPhone releases they're quick to reference dozens of phones that "do the same" or "had this feature already".
    YEAH, I'm REALLY gonna tape together 12 phones to have a comparable device to iPhone.

jaffa said:
    jkichline said:
    I'd like to see them match this technology.

Reflective IR proximity sensors have been used for years (maybe decades) in industry.

As for mobile phone implementations of similar technology the 2nd (and 3rd) gen MotoX use IR proximity sensors to detect the users hand approaching the screen to wake it up, that predates this patent application by six months.

Active, reflective IR sensors would be extremely wasteful of energy for a battery operated device.

What's the innovation here?
    It's NOT the same. You REALLY think Apple is patenting 1980's tech to use in future iPhones?? SMH.

Oh God, the troll who's disliking every comment is back....
    edited February 2016 nolamacguy
  • Reply 22 of 31
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    mausz said:
    jkichline said:
    I beg to differ. I'd like to see them match this technology.

http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/skp/faq/1053493 

Different technical implementation and actually removed on the S6 (from TouchWiz)

It was removed because it was complete garbage, and a gimmick. If Apple delivers on the same concept, they will do it with much greater technical proficiency, software support, and user utility. 
  • Reply 23 of 31
    ibillibill Posts: 400member
    cali said:

What was the last Giggle invention? That Glass thing?

They innovate new ways to steal your personal information.
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 24 of 31
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member
    Soli said:
    cornchip said:
    This would be the final nail in Wacom's coffin
    Could you be more specific? 
    I don't know if you've ever used a Wacom tablet (I have), but their graphics pads can sense the stylus hovering over the surface. It allows the artist/designer to see where their mark will be made, how big their mark will be in relation to the art already made and in some cases of pattern brushes, what the tip looks like. I haven't used the AP (or iPad Pro) yet, and I hear it's very nice (can't wait till I can afford one), but it/they are missing that particular detail which isn't a deal breaker imo but could see some people bitching about the Apple gear not having it. 
    Soli
  • Reply 25 of 31
    jkichline said:
    The Android trolls are out in full force today, parading around in their little furry Android outfits, trumpeting the victory of the almighty Google and their overlords, Alphabet.  One such participant announced "that it's a fact that Google innovates more then Apple".  I beg to differ. I'd like to see them match this technology.

Personally, I think Apple is in a lull on purpose as they ramp up the next round of releases this year.  They also don't care if their stock "sinks" a little because we all know they are not going to play Wall Streets little game.  They will wait until the time is right and prove once again that Google is just an advertising company with little side projects to keep smart people interested in them.
    Android trolls are out because Apple fans have spent the last several years claiming that Google and Android are doomed: that Android was a financial money-loser and that the shift from desktop search to (mostly) iOS search was going to crush them. So a little "reports of the demise of Google and Android have been greatly exaggerated" in response is more than appropriate. As for the other comments on this thread, the point of mentioning that "Apple didn't do it first" is simply to state that Apple has no chance of maintaining this patent. Competition is good for the market, and ultimately good for Apple. Case in point: devices bigger than 4 inches. Case in point: a maps/GPS app that actually works. And if it wasn't Google and Android providing competition to Apple, it would be Microsoft and Windows Mobile. Or didn't you know that Samsung used to make Windows phones too, and still makes Windows tablets to this day?
    stevie
  • Reply 26 of 31
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    cornchip said:
    Soli said:
    Could you be more specific? 
    I don't know if you've ever used a Wacom tablet (I have), but their graphics pads can sense the stylus hovering over the surface. It allows the artist/designer to see where their mark will be made, how big their mark will be in relation to the art already made and in some cases of pattern brushes, what the tip looks like. I haven't used the AP (or iPad Pro) yet, and I hear it's very nice (can't wait till I can afford one), but it/they are missing that particular detail which isn't a deal breaker imo but could see some people bitching about the Apple gear not having it. 
    Thanks, cornchip.

I don't know who down-voted you for making a clear and concise reply, but whomever it was—or anyone else that wishes to elucidate about Wacom—is there anything wrong with the above quote that you'd like to correct?
    edited February 2016 cornchip
  • Reply 27 of 31
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    bulldogs said:
    jkichline said:

Android trolls are out because Apple fans have spent the last several years claiming that Google and Android are doomed: that Android was a financial money-loser and that the shift from desktop search to (mostly) iOS search was going to crush them. So a little "reports of the demise of Google and Android have been greatly exaggerated" in response is more than appropriate. As for the other comments on this thread, the point of mentioning that "Apple didn't do it first" is simply to state that Apple has no chance of maintaining this patent. Competition is good for the market, and ultimately good for Apple. Case in point: devices bigger than 4 inches. Case in point: a maps/GPS app that actually works. And if it wasn't Google and Android providing competition to Apple, it would be Microsoft and Windows Mobile. Or didn't you know that Samsung used to make Windows phones too, and still makes Windows tablets to this day?
    Are you fracking serious? No they haven't, at least not in Android forums like well, the POS droid trolls here and macrumors. Stop lying to make a "point".

The doomed, concern troll, argument is almost always from droid trolls; it's not for nothing that this has become a meme..

Also, stop talking about yourself in the third person, you are one of those trolls from 90% of your posts here.

• Reply 28 of 31
    peschiera said:
     Unlike Apple Samsung does not create an own TV Ad for each single feature, just because the Galaxys are full of features (not all of them are good) and many users are not aware of them.

Have you ever been cognisant of the marketing budgets of Samsung compared to Apple?

Even leaving that aside, so you think it's better Apple doesn't advertise every feature so that people get the maximum out of their iPhones? Samsung Users are better off being unaware of all the features on their phone?

• Reply 29 of 31
    Soli said:
    cornchip said:
    Thanks, cornchip.

I don't know who down-voted you for making a clear and concise reply, but whomever it was—or anyone else that wishes to elucidate about Wacom—is there anything wrong with the above quote that you'd like to correct?
    The down-vote option is just a new tool for tools to play with. I've seen it being used so indiscriminately that I just ignore it on most posts now. 
    Unfortunately, I don't think it's possible to find out who down-voted a post. Yet another way the new forum is a step down from the older one, where we could at least see who up-voted a comment.
    SoliSpamSandwichcornchip
  • Reply 30 of 31
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member
    Soli said:
    Thanks, cornchip.

Thanks! I'm used to most of my comments getting down votes anyway!  :D  I probably come off as an asshat a lot of times, I'm sure I'm partially to blame.
  • Reply 31 of 31
    DavePDaveP Posts: 1member
    I can see this hover technology being of use in connection with Apple Watch.  The Watch interface is so small that it really isn't much use if you use the conventional selection techniques.  If you use a hover to enlarge the area of the screen that your finger is moving toward, then it seems that it would work better.