'iPhone 7' to return to flat back without visible antenna bands - report

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 52
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Seeing as most people cover their phone with a case, not really a concern.
    I'm not saying you are incorrect, as I'm sure you're not.  But I have had an iPhone since the original and I have never once had a case.  I've never seen the point.
    cornchip
  • Reply 42 of 52
    This year I will upgrade my iPhone. The question is if I will get a 6S + case (that protruding lense...) or a more expensive 7. Until now, I see no reason to spend the extra 100€...sflocal said:
    Exactly. Apple's leather case is great. 
    I have the leather case, and for the most part it's a great case, with the exception of the bottom being exposed.  Sure enough, the rare time I dropped my phone on asphalt, it landed right on the exposed bottom giving the aluminum some nice road rash.  Bummer.  My next case for my next phone will definitely have all sides protected.
    My Apple leather case has a ripped/worn upper right edge exposing the underlying plastic frame. A little rough looking, but it gives it some character. Next time I'll get the Apple Silicon case. Also, why is there not a clear silicon case-does that thing not exist? You'd think Jony would be all over that.
  • Reply 43 of 52
    I may be alone in this but I thought Apple sacrificed a lot with the latest design...antenna lines and protruding camera??? I do appreciate them choosing function over form in this case but it made for an ugly phone. If they simply blend the camera and get rid of the lines the design would be almost flawless. As someone else said earlier, I did have an affinity for the glass iPhone 4. It would be really cool in my mind to have a fully transparent model so you can see the inside beauty of these devices. Please understand I know that would be a long shot for many reasons but for me would be great to see. Just a dreaming again I guess.
  • Reply 44 of 52
    aaronj said:
    Seeing as most people cover their phone with a case, not really a concern.
    I'm not saying you are incorrect, as I'm sure you're not.  But I have had an iPhone since the original and I have never once had a case.  I've never seen the point.
    Well, for one thing, it increases the resale value (which is already quite high for a cell phone).
  • Reply 45 of 52
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    Mr_Grey said:
    I covered my 5S. Why wouldn't a person do this if they've ever dropped anything they have to carry? Think of it as potentially losing $700 every time you drop it.
    some people just don't drop their phones.  The majority of phone dropping happens when drunk and between the ages of 20 and 30.  
    before i write that off as more complete bullshit, can you please cite a reference to your data source?

because I've had and seen accidents happen to people of all age.
    edited February 2016 mac fan
  • Reply 46 of 52
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    ksec said:
    Even if they cant get rid of the band and had to put it up on the side, ( Which actually looks much better, I wonder why the 6 design isn't like that to start with )  at least make it the same colour as the body instead of white.
    If they had the ability to just remove a band, it would be interesting to find out why they didn't to begin with. It might have been down to matching the metal plates to the camera but it suggests there's more to it. A recent phone that came out, the Huawei Mate 8 has a similar setup:

http://consumer.huawei.com/minisite/worldwide/mate8/

They seem to have gone the route of using a different material at the top and bottom, which is more like the iPhone 5/5S, except they used a color tint to match the metal instead of a contrasting color. Apple applied for a patent for a process that makes a material look like the metal and is fully radio transparent so that might be the way they go with the upper/lower parts:

http://www.businessinsider.com/apple-patents-metal-iphone-antenna-2015-6

There was a poll done here about which design people preferred:

http://www.phonearena.com/news/iPhone-5s-design-way-more-preferred-than-that-of-iPhone-6_id61283

The 5/5S came out at 51%, followed by 4/4S at 23%, the 6 at 13%. The 6 hadn't been out long and internet polls aren't much to go by but the phones show up quite frequently in celebrity selfie photos and the 5-series looks more fashionable and elegant with the way it catches the light:

I don't expect them to go back to that design because the edges were easier to scratch and the curved edges are more comfortable to hold but the 6 styling can be refined. I don't think the horizontal breaks are too bad, just not both the edge band and the horizontal one together:

edited February 2016
  • Reply 47 of 52
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    I just hope that Apple will release a 4" phone-sized iPhone 7 in addition to the phablet-sized 4.7" and 5.5" models.
    mattinoz
  • Reply 48 of 52
    If the edge was liquid metal for instance, the front glass and the back zirconia crystal it would essentially be the same as iPhone 4 (only presumably rounded like the 6 series), and would fit this description as well as the previous rumour about materials.  

Such a phone would be almost indestructible. Also, both zirconia and liquid metal can be "doped" to appear to the eye to look exactly like each other.  The zirconia can easily be made to look like the shiny liquid metal we've seen previously or like aluminium if desired.  The liquid metal in turn can look like shiny metal, aluminium, or even glass in some instances.  Apple has many patents that are specifically about zirconia inclusions in liquid metal bases and vice versa.

They've been researching these materials in concert with each other for years now, but perhaps they've only found out it's impossible.  We can't know for now. 
    Next to that, I recall Apple not so long ago had filed and granted a patent for fused glass housing for their iDevices. Perhaps that could hint to a new all-glass device generation to follow the aluminium unibody era. Fragility concerns aside, an all-glass black iPhone with liquid metal elements would be pretty darn awesome. 
  • Reply 49 of 52
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    If the edge was liquid metal for instance, the front glass and the back zirconia crystal it would essentially be the same as iPhone 4 (only presumably rounded like the 6 series), and would fit this description as well as the previous rumour about materials.  

Such a phone would be almost indestructible. Also, both zirconia and liquid metal can be "doped" to appear to the eye to look exactly like each other.  The zirconia can easily be made to look like the shiny liquid metal we've seen previously or like aluminium if desired.  The liquid metal in turn can look like shiny metal, aluminium, or even glass in some instances.  Apple has many patents that are specifically about zirconia inclusions in liquid metal bases and vice versa.

They've been researching these materials in concert with each other for years now, but perhaps they've only found out it's impossible.  We can't know for now. 
    Next to that, I recall Apple not so long ago had filed and granted a patent for fused glass housing for their iDevices. Perhaps that could hint to a new all-glass device generation to follow the aluminium unibody era. Fragility concerns aside, an all-glass black iPhone with liquid metal elements would be pretty darn awesome. 
    Pretty darn heavy, more like.
  • Reply 50 of 52
    Mr_Grey said:
    I covered my 5S. Why wouldn't a person do this if they've ever dropped anything they have to carry? Think of it as potentially losing $700 every time you drop it.
     The majority of phone dropping happens when drunk and between the ages of 20 and 30.  

I think you're just making that up.
    Mr_Grey
  • Reply 51 of 52
    andreyandrey Posts: 108member
    I don't even remember what color is my 6s+. The case is black Diztronic :wink: 
  • Reply 52 of 52
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,301member
    For the vast majority of us who have a protective case on our iPhones, the cosmetic changes are meaningless. I'm more interested in a virtual Home button, optical zoom, etc.