Nintendo's 'Miitomo' coming to iOS in March, pre-registration starts Feb. 17

Posted:
in iPhone
Nintendo's first smartphone-only app, Miitomo, will launch sometime next month for iOS and Android, with a pre-registration process beginning on Feb. 17, the Japanese game maker announced on Wednesday.

Starting that day people will be able to register for a new Nintendo Account service using email, a social network account, or an existing Nintendo Network ID. Doing so will earn early notification of Miitomo's availability, as well as a special unspecified bonus.

Rather than a true game, Miitomo -- first teased in October -- will actually be a "social experience" based on the Mii avatars featured on Nintendo devices. Users will be prompted to learn more about each other by asking and answering questions. The app should also support sharing photos of Miis, and connecting with a My Nintendo rewards program launching at the same time.

Nintendo is planning to launch five smartphone apps by the end of March 2017. The second of these is still mostly in the shadows, but shouldn't be communications app, and will feature a familiar (though still undisclosed) character.

Nintendo's new mobile efforts are the result of a partnership with developer DeNA, struck in March 2015. The company has been forced to adapt to a rapidly evolving gaming world, as its Wii U console has struggled in sales, and handhelds like the 3DS are being supplanted by phones and tablets for many people. Indeed rumors suggest the company's next console, commonly referred to as the NX, will try to bridge the gap between the mobile and console environments.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    Meh. I want Donkey Kong!
    SpamSandwichargonautmwhitepscooter63
  • Reply 2 of 16
    Way to call it in, Nintendo.
    edited February 2016
  • Reply 3 of 16
    ceek74ceek74 Posts: 324member
    This is great! It's like just as smartphones are coming out Nintendo is jumping on a brand new business sector.  Oh wait, that was 2007 and it DID NOT happen.  WTF is wrong with Nintendo over that last decade?
    pscooter63
  • Reply 4 of 16
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Stupid move for Nintendo, sorry.
    They are innovative as f*** and follow no one. They need to improve their 3DS and make it marketable, not wave the white flag to iPhone and iPhoneys. Or Apple should just buy them.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Imagine if Apple investing in a quality game using its main franchises, and threw it up on the appstore to be played with a controller on an Apple TV, iPad, or iPhone. They'd make a killing. I agree about Apple buying Nintendo. Apple has the massive hardware userbase, which is now powerful enough to handle great looking games. All Apple needs to do is come out with a controller, and design the software. They need to get out of the hardware biz. It would rid Apple of a massive burden, R&D costs, etc, while expanding their userbase by 100 fold. Everyone with an iOS device will become a potential Nintendo customer, and Apple will instantly make massive inroads into the (family friendly) gaming space. The fit couldn't be more perfect.
    edited February 2016 cali
  • Reply 6 of 16
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    ...with a pre-registration process beginning on Feb. 17, the Japanese game maker announced on Wednesday.
    What am I missing?  Pre-register to download their app??  Whenever did you have to do that??
    mwhite
  • Reply 7 of 16
    Absolutely past time for them to repurpose ALL of their old titles for iOS.
    argonautpscooter63
  • Reply 8 of 16
    A big part of Nintendo development is making games that work with the system they're developed for. That's why rereleasing old games on iOS is dumb. The games are made to be played with analog controls.  Nintendo wants you to play their games in the best possible way so you expirence them perfectly. Not frustrate yourself with onscreen touch controls. That being said, there are some touch screen only DS and 3DS games that would translate perfectly to iOS. But the best move for Nintendo is to develop new expirences. Not cripple old ones. 

History: I am a huge Nintendo fan.  I bring my New 3DS with me everywhere. There's something that's more connected to playing a "real" video game than an iOS game. Most of my phone or iPad games are pick up and play for 10 minute experiences. Digital onscreen touch controls do not replace control pads. I don't care what you say. The technology is not there. 

I'm super excited to play Pokemon Go! (But what wrist?! The same as my Apple Watch?!) and hope it has conectability features with the next Pokemon game either on N3DS or the portable NX. As a fan of Nintendo and Apple, I'm absolutely thrilled. 

I only wish they'd have signed an exclusive deal with Apple (not a buyout, just a deal). Focusing on one platform (iOS) seems more beneficial for development than iOS and android. Although from a get this product everywhere perspective it makes total sense. 
    edited February 2016 califlashfan207
  • Reply 9 of 16
    sog35 said:
    Apple should buy Nintendo.  
    So obvious. 
    Lots of folks would disagree with you, but if Apple handled it like the Beats acquisition (keep the brand and talent, use to enhance Apple’s own business and simultaneously nurture theirs), I think this would be a stellar idea.
    edited February 2016
  • Reply 10 of 16
    dws-2dws-2 Posts: 276member
    Seriously, Miitomo sounds like an oddball idea that has a 90% chance of going nowhere. Maybe it's a cultural difference, but I just can't see anyone I know using this.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    A big part of Nintendo development is making games that work with the system they're developed for. That's why rereleasing old games on iOS is dumb. The games are made to be played with analog controls.  Nintendo wants you to play their games in the best possible way so you expirence them perfectly. Not frustrate yourself with onscreen touch controls. That being said, there are some touch screen only DS and 3DS games that would translate perfectly to iOS. But the best move for Nintendo is to develop new expirences. Not cripple old ones. 

History: I am a huge Nintendo fan.  I bring my New 3DS with me everywhere. There's something that's more connected to playing a "real" video game than an iOS game. Most of my phone or iPad games are pick up and play for 10 minute experiences. Digital onscreen touch controls do not replace control pads. I don't care what you say. The technology is not there. 

I'm super excited to play Pokemon Go! (But what wrist?! The same as my Apple Watch?!) and hope it has conectability features with the next Pokemon game either on N3DS or the portable NX. As a fan of Nintendo and Apple, I'm absolutely thrilled. 

I only wish they'd have signed an exclusive deal with Apple (not a buyout, just a deal). Focusing on one platform (iOS) seems more beneficial for development than iOS and android. Although from a get this product everywhere perspective it makes total sense. 
    I disagree. Try downloading the original Legend of Zelda onto a Wii from Nintendo's game store and playing it with a Wiimote, or any old game for that matter. It's futile.  The Wiimote makes a horrible game pad, but that didn't stop Nintendo from making their old games available.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    This was just the first Nintendo game on mobile. They have four more coming over the next 2 years. Nintendo has promised that their next game will feature one of their main gaming characters, but don't look for anything that could compete with a 3DS, Wii, Wii U or future NX game. Nintendo's NX gaming system will be both a console and a mobile handheld device. Nintendo's main problem is that the Wii U was too expensive. The previous Nintendo consoles were very affordable, i.e. the original Wii being about $120. Nintendo created the 2nd screen controller as an excuse to jack up the price to be the same as an XBox and a Playstation without giving the same elite gaming experience as those two. No one bought it, and Nintendo was too arrogant to unbundle the $75 Wii U second screen controller to lower the price to about $150 to increase sales the way that Microsoft did, unbundling the $150 sensor, so their XBox 360 would actually sell. Nintendo, which has been in business since 1889, has made it clear that they are never going to allow themselves to be merged or acquired, and they are also not going to sell or license their IP to another company. For those who are hoping that the company will go into bankruptcy so they will be "forced" to give up their IP and talent ... it isn't going to happen. Nintendo's leadership has made it clear that as soon as it is clear that the company can't be saved, they are going to use their remaining cash reserves to pay all their outstanding debts and just shut the company down. You should know that the mobile thing ... Nintendo doesn't see any money in it. Right now, Nintendo gets like $150-$250 for each gaming system (Wii U or 3DS) they sell, plus $60 for each video game. Going mobile means that they will get ZERO on hardware sales - because it is probably too late for them to come out with a Nintendo branded Android tablet or smartphone ... they would have had to do that at least 5 years ago - and go from making $60 for each Mario game to $4.99 at most for each download, or $1.00 plus in-app purchases. Some companies made money by primarily selling mobile games, but it isn't enough to interest Nintendo. To make real money, you have to sell mini-versions of your games on mobile and full versions (again with the $60 thing) on PC, OS X, Playstation, XBox, Steam etc. As Nintendo has never been multi-platform with their console games and doesn't want to be - they aren't Sega for instance, and Sega isn't exactly rolling in dough right now - it is difficult to blame them for not going mobile, and not thinking that they can survive on a mobile software business model. They would have to totally reinvent their business model from proprietary hardware/software to multi-platform software only, and even then there is no guarantee that 5 years down the line they won't become the next Rovio (remember them, the "Angry Birds" company?) anyway. So if the NX doesn't break out for Nintendo, just get ready to say goodbye to Nintendo. They would have had a good run, over 125 years, so no shame in that. By the way, even if they were so inclined, there is no way that they would have done any of the Apple partnerships that a lot of you are fantasizing about. Nintendo is not an American company. They are a global company, which means that a ton of their customers own Android devices, as Android market share in a lot of their regions is much higher than it is in America.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    未意図も or Miitomo in Western characters translates well. Once you know what got "lost in translation", you will understand the connection to why this was announced on February 2nd... or was that the "next" day? Any Murray fans out there?
  • Reply 14 of 16
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    I'm so ready for an app involving the adventures of Mario, Luigi, Bowser or any of the other beloved characters that Nintendo gave us. A definite win-win for both companies.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    I've been folloring Nintendo for decades and they're VERY stubborn, it's in their culture.

They are very smart with technology but dumb as a rock when it comes to marketing.