Apple Pay accepted at more than 2M locations, coming to Chick-fil-A, other stores soon

Posted:
in iPhone edited February 2016
As of Thursday, iPhone and Apple Watch owners can use their devices to complete Apple Pay transactions at more than two million retail locations, Apple says, with chains like Chick-fil-A expected to add compatibility soon.

According to a report from Bloomberg, published by The Business Times, Apple's in-house payments initiative is developing as planned after the company blew past internal goals to roll out compatibility at 1.5 million retail outlets by the end of 2015.

Aside from currently existing deployments, big chains like Crate & Barrel, Chick-fil-A and Au Bon Pain have plans to integrate Apple Pay as a checkout option in the near future. Additionally, online merchants are flipping the switch on in-app payments, like Zappos.com did on Tuesday.

"We've been getting requests from customers to use Apple Pay for quite a while," said Zappos' mobile chief Aki Iida. "It makes the customer experience easier, why not try it?"

Not a highly touted feature, in-app payment integration is on the rise, Apple said. The company noted purchase volume more than doubled in the trailing half of 2015 compared to the first six months of the year, the report said.

Apple Pay is considered a young product in the payments space. As such, both merchants and consumers are reluctant to commit when traditional offerings remain widely available. The company is still investigating how best to boost adoption in the U.S., a culture that has not yet evolved past swipe credit card transactions.

Apple intends to expand Apple Pay into China as part of a partnership with card processor Union Pay, a region of massive growth potential both for payments and the company's hardware. Last month, touchless Apple Pay transactions were reportedly working in some areas ahead of an official launch.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    I wonder when I double tap a button on my Watch thats still covered by my shirt, then hold it up to card reader at an independent Chinese restaurant or local dry-cleaners to pay successfully with Apple Pay without even looking, if those are getting counted in the numbers, since those stores and/or employees never seem to know the service exists. The Chinese restaurant I've been using for near 18 months and they still don't know it works.

I average making Apple Pay payments about twice a day at this point, and there is still a long way to go. I need to dig out those stickers and smack them on the windows of places that do take it.
    redgeminipaSpamSandwichDan Andersenjbdragon
  • Reply 2 of 33
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member
    Kind of off subject, but the whole concept of Samsung Pay is scary to me. Taking the magnetic stripe data and transmitting it wirelessly?  That is a recipe for disaster. So now crooks can gain access to your name and  card without actually having your card. Who thought that was a good idea?
    redgeminipalatifbppmzpscooter63SpamSandwichlostkiwiDan Andersengorobotgo
  • Reply 3 of 33
    "Apple Pay accepted at more than 2M locations, coming to Chik-fil-A, other stores soon" Sadly, Tim Cook is NOT accepted at Chik-fil-A...
    latifbpiosenthusiast
  • Reply 4 of 33
    genovelle said:
    Kind of off subject, but the whole concept of Samsung Pay is scary to me. Taking the magnetic stripe data and transmitting it wirelessly?  That is a recipe for disaster. So now crooks can gain access to your name and  card without actually having your card. Who thought that was a good idea?
    It should be scary. The technology is essentially the same as magstripe (they use a magnetic induction coil to simulate the magnetic patterns on the magstripe). This is why it's time for the US to join the rest of the world in the elimination of magstripe technology and get on with chip and pin, which isn't perfect, but a hell of a lot more reliable and secure than magstripe.
    lostkiwi
  • Reply 5 of 33
    "Apple Pay accepted at more than 2M locations, coming to Chik-fil-A, other stores soon" Sadly, Tim Cook is NOT accepted at Chik-fil-A...
    Oh, look, another ignorant liberal assuming that because people have differing views and lifestyles, they can't possibly accept and love each other. Just because someone may disagree with a homosexual lifestyle does not mean that person is evil. Yes, there are bad apples that are wrongfully exclusive, and hateful, and bigoted, but Chick-fil-A is not one of those.
    freshmakerthewhitefalconpscooter63mike1jbdragon
  • Reply 6 of 33
    I think you missed something.... http://www.huffingtonpost.com/shane-l-windmeyer/dan-cathy-chick-fil-a_b_2564379.html

@AppleInsider it is Chick-fil-A and not Chik-fil-A .... http://www.chick-fil-a.com/
  • Reply 7 of 33
    It would be nice to have some context. 2 million out of how many as market potential?

Also, I doubt very much that some Bloomberg reporter knows what Apple's "internal goals" are.
  • Reply 8 of 33
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    It's still virtually no where, and the places where it is, none of the cashiers know what button to press to process it, and most terminals don't work worth a damn.
    I gave up using because it's annoying when it doesn't work, and doesn't do me much good unless 100% of my payments are made this way. 
  • Reply 9 of 33
    josujosu Posts: 217member
    Until Apple Pay capable devices share of the total iOS devices out there don't reach virtually 100% and the countries in which it is possible to use don't get to the same percentage, we will not see its true potential. The service, to me much more important announcement than Apple Watch in September 2014, will need a long time to reach its full potential. A shame, I think is one of the best Apple services, and lives up to its expectations as far as I know.
  • Reply 10 of 33
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Soli said:
    I wonder when I double tap a button on my Watch thats still covered by my shirt, then hold it up to card reader at an independent Chinese restaurant or local dry-cleaners to pay successfully with Apple Pay without even looking, if those are getting counted in the numbers, since those stores and/or employees never seem to know the service exists. The Chinese restaurant I've been using for near 18 months and they still don't know it works.

I average making Apple Pay payments about twice a day at this point, and there is still a long way to go. I need to dig out those stickers and smack them on the windows of places that do take it.
    Yes, you could be a rebel for Apple ;-) and go stick those stickers everywhere, liberate the plebes... :-).
  • Reply 11 of 33
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    ApplePay still isn't accepted again at Home Depot and I remember reading that they were in talks with Apple. Talks about what? It worked without talking to Apple before they shut it down. I could care less about fast food restaurants, lets get the stores where people actually spend a lot of money.
    Dan Andersen
  • Reply 12 of 33
    rob53 said:
    ApplePay still isn't accepted again at Home Depot and I remember reading that they were in talks with Apple. Talks about what? It worked without talking to Apple before they shut it down. I could care less about fast food restaurants, lets get the stores where people actually spend a lot of money.
    I've found that odd as well.  I would think they'd have been near the front of the line, given their hacking last year.  They DO accept EMV cards now - why not go ahead and accept Apple Pay as well?  I shop there a decent amount, and would love to be able to use it.
    jbdragon
  • Reply 13 of 33
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    rob53 said:
    rob53 said:
    I've found that odd as well.  I would think they'd have been near the front of the line, given their hacking last year.  They DO accept EMV cards now - why not go ahead and accept Apple Pay as well?  I shop there a decent amount, and would love to be able to use it.

I’m beginning to think CurrentC is vaporware. Remember, Walmart, CVS, Home Depot and others declared their intentions to support CurrentC at the same time they turned off NFC support. CurrentC is nowhere to be found and is rarely mentioned in the press anymore, especially after it got hacked big-time. 
    lostkiwijbdragon
  • Reply 14 of 33
    Sure he is.
  • Reply 15 of 33
    pmz said:
    It's still virtually no where, and the places where it is, none of the cashiers know what button to press to process it, and most terminals don't work worth a damn.
    I gave up using because it's annoying when it doesn't work, and doesn't do me much good unless 100% of my payments are made this way. 
    Nonsense. I live in a very small town (pop. ~10,000), and close to 50% of the places where I regularly shop have NFC terminals on which I am simply able to wave my Watch or my iPhone. It's incredibly convenient. Cool.

There is no "button to press." 
    stompynolamacguylostkiwiDan Andersen
  • Reply 16 of 33
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Meanwhile, essentially 100% of the terminals in Canada are chip and pin, yet there's no fucking support from any banks, so no Apple Pay here. 
    jbishop1039lostkiwi
  • Reply 17 of 33
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Yeah, why would Apple want Chik-Fil-A?

Oh yeah, money.

i like Chik-Fil-A.
  • Reply 18 of 33
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    lkrupp said:
    rob53 said:

I’m beginning to think CurrentC is vaporware. Remember, Walmart, CVS, Home Depot and others declared their intentions to support CurrentC at the same time they turned off NFC support. CurrentC is nowhere to be found and is rarely mentioned in the press anymore, especially after it got hacked big-time. 
    I don't ever remember seeing Home Depot's name associated with CurrentC. Check out http://www.mcx.com. They're not there. Lowe's is, but I have other reasons for not shopping there (crappy tools). 

May 5, 2015 http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-05-05/home-depot-to-become-largest-retailer-to-accept-apple-pay "However, a deal with Apple isn’t in place, so the plan isn’t final, he said." What deal? I thought the use of ApplePay was transparent to merchants, it just works.
  • Reply 19 of 33
    peteopeteo Posts: 402member
    hittrj01 said:
    Oh, look, another ignorant liberal assuming that because people have differing views and lifestyles, they can't possibly accept and love each other. Just because someone may disagree with a homosexual lifestyle does not mean that person is evil. Yes, there are bad apples that are wrongfully exclusive, and hateful, and bigoted, but Chick-fil-A is not one of those.
    Trying to Stop 2 people who want to be able to LEGALLY marry is HATEFUL, EXCLUSIVE, AND BIGOTED.
    What the heck does 2 people getting married have to do with how some one else feels or disagree's. If you do not agree with same sex marriage then don't get married to the same sex. But don't tell me I cant.  Marriage is NOT only a religious act in the eye of the state. According to Wikipedia Chick-fil-A's charitable endeavor, the S. Truett Cathy-family-operated WinShape Foundation, had donated millions of dollars to political organizations seen as hostile to LGBT causes.
    edited February 2016 iosenthusiastnolamacguykkdd
  • Reply 20 of 33
    You're confused. The owners are anti-abortion, not anti-Tim Cook.
    apple headjbdragon