iTunes, App Store, & Apple TV services hit by new outage [u]

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited February 2016
The iTunes Store, the iOS and Mac App Stores, and even the Apple TV were among services affected by a midday outage on Thursday, leaving some people unable to reach them or make purchases. [Updated]

The incident began at around 10 a.m. Eastern time, and is still ongoing, according to Apple's System Status page. The problem is also affecting a number of subservices, including the iBooks Store, iTunes Match, iTunes in the Cloud, and the Volume Purchase Program.

As is usual for an ongoing network problem, the company hasn't said what percentage of users are being affected and when normal operations might resume.

Such a disruption is a serious issue for Apple, since it interferes not just with its own revenues but those of developers. It can also prevent people and organizations from fetching important apps and updates.

Apple's online services are occasionally impacted by outages of varying severity. In November, for instance, the company was hit with downtime that impacted not just its online stores, but also Apple Maps. That might have prevented some drivers from using their iPhone to navigate, since they might also have been unable to download an alternative like Waze or Google Maps.

Update: As of noon Eastern time, all services are reportedly back online.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    AppleInsider said:
     but also Apple Maps. That might have prevented some drivers from using their iPhone to navigate, since they might also have been unable to download an alternative like Waze or Google Maps.
    maps.google.com and waze.com/livemap work just fine in your favorite browser on iOS. You don't 'need' the app. 
    edited February 2016
  • Reply 2 of 23
    Time to clean house, Tim. This is getting ridiculous. 

If the backend is being rebuilt as has been rumored, then get out there and make that message. If it's incompetence, then get out there with that message. 
    cali
  • Reply 3 of 23
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Wonder how many millions this costs them every time?
  • Reply 4 of 23
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    For once, I saw this as my iTunes Match stopped dead while playing.  I would imagine Apple are a prime target for malicious DOS attacks , if only by Samsung ;)  
  • Reply 5 of 23
    josujosu Posts: 217member
    I was affected, I was trying to update the Apps in iTunes and didn't worked, now seems to be working as the update in the report said. In my case nothing to lose, was a long overdue update of the apps, in case I buy an iDevice in the future to sync with this mac.
  • Reply 6 of 23
    Service was down for one hour according to the status page....not the two hours the author would leave you to believe.
    lolliver
  • Reply 7 of 23
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Apple pretty much sucks in this area.
  • Reply 8 of 23
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member
    genovelle said:
    Time to clean house, Tim. This is getting ridiculous. 

If the backend is being rebuilt as has been rumored, then get out there and make that message. If it's incompetence, then get out there with that message. 

I still wonder why Google and Amazon who incidentally handles a good portion of the background servers for Apple services is never held to the same standard when they have week long outages like last year. I saw no one bashing their services even though they shutdown millions of businesses. 

nolamacguysilversquonklolliver
  • Reply 9 of 23
    genovelle said:
    genovelle said:
    I still wonder why Google and Amazon who incidentally handles a good portion of the background servers for Apple services is never held to the same standard when they have week long outages like last year. I saw no one bashing their services even though they shutdown millions of businesses. 

Non sequitur. Apple charges a premium price and promises a premium experience. That experience is not being delivered. 
  • Reply 10 of 23
    I hardly use iTunes anymore. The additional complexity and navigation through all the crap has turned me off. I wonder if anybody else think the same?
  • Reply 11 of 23
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    Service was down for one hour according to the status page....not the two hours the author would leave you to believe.
    Service wasn't down long at all. Everything started working again for me shortly after 7am PST. 
    Hendri bjerringlolliver
  • Reply 12 of 23
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    genovelle said:

I don't think Google provides any data services to Apple and I don't recall any week long outages either. I use Gmail, Google Maps, Google Search and Adsense everyday and it has generally worked well for me.

Some people just don't realize how incredibly complex networking and data centers are. Service going down for an hour is not all that uncommon. My personal experience is that when our servers are unreachable, which has happened a few times, it was always someone else's fault, such Cisco, Fortinet, AT&T, some back hoe operator in the street or DoS attack. We don't know why Apple service went down, but stuff happens. Fortunately it didn't last long. 
    nolamacguyHendri bjerringtdknoxjbdragon
  • Reply 13 of 23
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    genovelle said:

Non sequitur. Apple charges a premium price and promises a premium experience. That experience is not being delivered. 
    dont flagship Google & Samsung phones cost about the same as the premium iPhone?
    edited February 2016 tdknoxlolliverRayz2016flashfan207
  • Reply 14 of 23
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,056member
    Thanks for the update of the reported status to the new latest interruption of the selected services that seem to have been impacted by a rumored outage that could have affected users with possible implications to related companies delivering support in a way that may or may not indicate a need for executive action.
    nolamacguywvdirk
  • Reply 15 of 23
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    So, how many people in this shitty, troll-infested pile-on thread were ACTUALLY affected by this outage? All I see is people taking the opportunity to excitedly bitch and whine about how shitty Apple is. I'm guessing 95% of people who contribute to these outage threads were never affected by it, and for the remainder, they only discovered about the outage by reading a headline online. 

The entitlement has gotten unreal. It's cloud, it WILL go down once in a while. Google, Microsoft, and every other company on the planet is not immune to this, no matter how much money they have in the bank. You fucking whiners are insufferable with your demands, and your sense of victimization. The shrieks of "Cook must Go!" from those who didn't even suffer from this are hilarious. Maybe Jobs should have called it quits, since MobileMe was shit. What we have now is infinitely better, but that doesnt stop trolls who couldn't run a fucking lemonade stand from proclaiming that everyone at Apple should be fired. 
    nolamacguysilversquonklolliverRayz2016wvdirkpscooter63gtr
  • Reply 16 of 23
    AI, do you really need to rush to make articles about every outage?  Why not just make a page with current and past outages and write articles for sustained outages greater than a few hours eh?
  • Reply 17 of 23
    ibillibill Posts: 400member
    slurpy said:
    So, how many people in this shitty, troll-infested pile-on thread were ACTUALLY affected by this outage?
    I actually experienced the outage in the inability to get maps flyover to work last night after reading that Apple had added new cities.

I managed to survive however, and didn't really lose any sleep over it. I would say that Apple has some work to do with the reliability of their data services, but I don't think anybody else is perfect in that regard either.
  • Reply 18 of 23
    slurpy said:
    So, how many people in this shitty, troll-infested pile-on thread were ACTUALLY affected by this outage? All I see is people taking the opportunity to excitedly bitch and whine about how shitty Apple is. I'm guessing 95% of people who contribute to these outage threads were never affected by it, and for the remainder, they only discovered about the outage by reading a headline online. 

The entitlement has gotten unreal. It's cloud, it WILL go down once in a while. Google, Microsoft, and every other company on the planet is not immune to this, no matter how much money they have in the bank. You fucking whiners are insufferable with your demands, and your sense of victimization. The shrieks of "Cook must Go!" from those who didn't even suffer from this are hilarious. Maybe Jobs should have called it quits, since MobileMe was shit. What we have now is infinitely better, but that doesnt stop trolls who couldn't run a fucking lemonade stand from proclaiming that everyone at Apple should be fired. 
    Cue the valiant mighty Apple thread warrior that comes to Apple's defense every time something goes wrong and calls all who experience issues trolls, whiners, and liars.
    djsherlythewhitefalconmr o
  • Reply 19 of 23
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,616member
    slurpy said:

I had connection issues for maybe 10 mins, by the time I established it was an Apple serverside issue it was back up and running.  Apples stuff is fairly reliable compared to other services which myself and clients rely on daily, this barely even registers as a blip.
    silversquonklolliverRayz2016wvdirk
  • Reply 20 of 23
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    dont flagship Google & Samsung phones cost about the same as the premium iPhone?
    Yes. And your point? What's that got to do with network services?