Japan Apple Stores roll out iPhone screen protector installation service

Posted:
in iPhone edited February 2016
Apple Stores in Japan are now offering screen protector installations using dedicated TrueClear Pro machines made by Belkin, with prices ranging from 2,180 yen to 4,280 yen (about $19 to $37) depending on material and size.

As noted by Mac Otakara, Apple Store employees in Japan have received specialized Belkin-branded tools to install iPhone screen protectors in-store, confirming a report from earlier today.

Seen in the picture set below, the process appears to be straightforward, leaving little room for user error. Belkin's installation setup is basically a plastic clamshell case with alignment guides cut specifically for iPhone 6/6s and 6/6s Plus handsets. An Apple employee situates an iPhone on one side of the machine and the protector on the other. Closing the device brings both pieces together, at which time the protector's wrapping can be removed to expose the product's adhesive layer, consequently bonding it to an iPhone's screen.

The TrueClear Pro machines, designed to work with Belkin's first-party protectors, save on material costs by decreasing the possibility of protector misalignment. If a customer is unsatisfied with the result, Apple is expected to try again with another protector, free of charge. The process is reflected in Belkin's own customer service policies as posted on the company's FAQ webpage.

A wider Apple Store rollout is expected in the coming days, though it is not clear if Apple plans to offer competing products alongside Belkin's solution.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    mubailimubaili Posts: 453member
    So a battery case first, now a screen protector installation, Apple is trying to grab as much revenue as possible without any consideration to third party and small vendors. Why are Apple so stingy? Can't they just focus on making the screen resist to scratch and shattering? Shame in Apple!
    Snowmandrules
  • Reply 2 of 21
    mubaili said:
    So a battery case first, now a screen protector installation, Apple is trying to grab as much revenue as possible without any consideration to third party and small vendors. Why are Apple so stingy? Can't they just focus on making the screen resist to scratch and shattering? Shame in Apple!
    Its a conspiracy, blame the pesky laws of physics. 
    redgeminipatechprod1gytallest skil
  • Reply 3 of 21
    mubaili said:
    By Apple improving on what you call Apple "stingy" they will put those third party vendors out of business. So your point, has no point.
    redgeminipa
  • Reply 4 of 21
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    mubaili said:
    This is not competing with the cheap offering of most others, which are cheaper (and possibly even as good, except you have to do it all yourself).

This is a again a premium product for that want the best experience.
  • Reply 5 of 21
    I watched these being used today in Australia. 

Quite to a nice idea. If you buy a premium screen protector, why have it fitted by a purpose built machine!
    irelandjahblade
  • Reply 6 of 21
    foggyhill said:
    mubaili said:
    This is not competing with the cheap offering of most others, which are cheaper (and possibly even as good, except you have to do it all yourself).

This is a again a premium product for that want the best experience.

Lol at "belkin is a premium product." 
    Yeah, ok. 
    cnocbuisuddenly newton
  • Reply 7 of 21
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    mubaili said:
    The screen protector is made by Belkin, which is a third-party. So what's your problem?
    redgeminipajahblade
  • Reply 8 of 21
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member
    Well, they have been selling third-party screen protectors in Apple Stores since at least the iPhone 4. While I do not use any, and never managed to crack an iPhone screen (and I've dropped mine more than once), this is about giving people a shitty experience (applying these things straight and bubble-free is not exactly a convenient process) or giving them a good one. Doesn't mean anybody who isn't a complete lump will have to consider this a mandatory purchase.
  • Reply 9 of 21
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Well screen protectors are a nuisance to fit so makes sense to have these machines.
    edited February 2016
  • Reply 10 of 21
    mubaili said:
    You know one of the biggest problems with MacRumors (and why I left) was that each article became a competition to see which troll could post the first negative comment. Don't turn AI into MR, ffs!
    redgeminipatechprod1gyjahbladeroundaboutnow
  • Reply 11 of 21
    Nice service for those that choose to use it.

Almost forgot, Apple is doomed...
  • Reply 12 of 21
    Apple stopped selling/installing screen protectors how many years ago? I guess with this Belkin thing it removes a lot of the risk of loss from improper installation. 
  • Reply 13 of 21
    Best Buy and others offer this service already and have for years. It only makes sense that Apple offer this as part of the user experience. Customers shouldn't have to buy the phone and then take it elsewhere to get it protected...Good move.
    jahblade
  • Reply 14 of 21
    mubaili said:
    The screen is resist to scratch and shattering. That's the whole point of Gorilla Glass. The other advantage is that it functions properly. If you want completely shatterproof, replace your screen with Tungsten metal. Oh you can't see through it? So at what threshold do you compromise performance for protection? 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 15 of 21
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    It looks like there's two different sized machines.
    I wonder why or if it was possible to just have different sized inserts. In this way, it could even be used for non-Apple devices. 
    I'm also curious how much Belkin is selling these things for. I can't see this being an end user priced item. 
  • Reply 16 of 21
    I remember when Apple stopped selling screen protectors and on the same day I removed mine, as I realized they were right: it diminished the clarity of my screen because the plastic film protector scratched way more easily than the glass screen would. I didn't realize they ever started selling them again.
  • Reply 17 of 21
    appexappex Posts: 687member
    Are screen protectors really needed these days, or rather a nuisance to install and use afterwards?
  • Reply 18 of 21
    Best Buy employees have actually been cashing in on installing screen protectors for a while; extremely rude to (completely violating company policy) try and hustle 10-20$ cash off of people ALREADY spending an average of $49.99 on a sheet of plastic.
  • Reply 19 of 21
    Best Buy employees have actually been cashing in on installing screen protectors for a while; extremely rude to (completely violating company policy) try and hustle 10-20$ cash off of people ALREADY spending an average of $49.99 on a sheet of plastic.
    You're free to get into the customized phone protector market and compete, same as anyone.
  • Reply 20 of 21
    sricesrice Posts: 120member
    Screen protectors are great for keeping you from cutting your finger when you break your glass. That's about it.