Apple CEO hints at more cross-platform services, says iPad revenue will rebound by year's end

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 77
    How can Apple guarentee revenue will rebound by next year? Look, I don't want to judge Apple, but revenue for the product keeps declining. And we heard absolutely nothing about iPad Pro revenue or sales. From IDC, they "estimated" 2 million sales, but these are to be taken with a grain of salt. We have nothing that can verify these figure's, we have no margin of error that was announced on this figure, we don't have anything to prove these figure's are a mere guess.

And I worry about alot more than just the iPad for Apple, though I won't go into details for that here.
    edited February 2016
  • Reply 62 of 77
    super6646 said:

And I worry about alot more than just the iPad for Apple, though I won't go into details for that here.
    You worry about more than just the iPad for Apple, and you can't or won't go into details, so we should take it at face value? 

Why don't you try us?
    cornchipargonaut
  • Reply 63 of 77
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,341member
    super6646 said:
    How can Apple guarentee revenue will rebound by next year? Look, I don't want to judge Apple, but revenue for the product keeps declining. And we heard absolutely nothing about iPad Pro revenue or sales. From IDC, they "estimated" 2 million sales, but these are to be taken with a grain of salt. We have nothing that can verify these figure's, we have no margin of error that was announced on this figure, we don't have anything to prove these figure's are a mere guess.

Why would you worry? Are you an investor? Are you even in the market for an iPad?

I'm not seeing what the point of your post is.

Edit:

You've had three posts, your only three posts, with the same "I don't trust IDC".

You've kind of limited your AI engagement with your comments on such a narrow subject.
    edited February 2016
  • Reply 64 of 77
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    Lots of people seeming to read the most negative spin on the comment "considering other services for cross-platform", implying that everything and anything now only on Apple h/w would go cross-platform & destroy the company.

The only example is Apple Music, which is a paid service.  Clearly there are benefits to expanding services such as this cross-platform, to gain incremental revenue, to potentially interest others in Apple products, and it can make the switch to Apple easier on the music front.  Any future TV service would similarly have advantages to some type of cross-platform support.

I am sure Apple has some internal conversations regarding benefits vs. dangers of making some Apple-only applications cross-platform (FaceTime, iMessage, iLife or iWork apps).  IMO, in general free apps that provide value to the Apple ecosystem should not be made cross-platform (other than "browser" based).  What is the value of developing Garage Band for Android?  Or providing a photo backup service?  None really, and you are just competing with pure service plays.  

As for Apple Watch - in the future I can see a benefit to going cross-platform, but not much now.   How many Android users will be interested in purchasing a $350 USD and higher Apple product as a companion to their Android device?  Vs. an Android Wear, Galaxy Gear, or other such smart watch.  In 4-5 years maybe.  See below.

Back to the iTunes on Windows story - that was entirely about growing the iPod business.  The Apple analysis was that they would greatly increase their iPod sales (a product if I recall was generally sold above $300 USD back then), and while there might be some impact on the Mac business, it was worth it.  Selling a huge % more iPods made that reasonable.  iPod shipments >> Mac.  Risking iPhone sales purely for small (or now) incremental services revenue doesn't equate in the same manner.  Only services where there is little chance of impact (e.g. paid services and it doesn't take away the Apple ecosystem draw) make sense.
  • Reply 65 of 77
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    brucemc said:

Sounds like you should start your own company here and ride that bet, since you don't think anyone is going a good job.  You really need to get behind this one device does all, mobile OS & desktop OS in one, very small but somehow all parts user replaceable & upgradable, together with a multitude of connectors to connect to just about any device.  While you are at it, make it waterproof.  Good luck!
    One small step for Apple, one giant leap for me.
    Actually I did mention that some companies are heading in the right direction.
    Further 'my ideas' are not that far out and extreme as suggested.
    Most of it can be done right away, its just the matter of politics that gets in the way.
    One step further, 3D printing your own device (chips and all) from your own design is a bit further away but within reach in a decade or so.
  • Reply 66 of 77

These ideas don't work right in practice.
    Actually they do.
  • Reply 67 of 77

may said:
    None of what you speak of will ever happen because its is a flawed premise. People aren't pining to plug in their smartphone to monitors, they aren't pining to upgrade their computer's hardware, they like having an OS optimized for a particular device, and they don't want free and open systems that require them to have to provide technical support to their own devices. Apple understands this, as does Google for the most part.

They want appliances. They want easy to use services.

Good luck to MS with what it is doing, but I'm not seeing anything that indicates they will be able to get back into mobile in any substantial way. The PC model of upgrading hardware, with the exception of a few niches, is dead.
    Making people aware influences what people do and want. But maybe its better to let 'people' speak for themselves.
    Upgraded my iMac a few weeks ago, and that made a very big difference, even a new iMac (for a huge price) cannot top this.
    You should try it, it will make you feel better.
  • Reply 68 of 77
    Apple is declining, why else would they make their services more cross-platform if not in an attempt to increase revenue?

If Apple wants more people to buy iPads, they need to make the iPad work for people who actually want to do work. The iPad Pro is a total joke, you can't do any serious work on something that doesn't at least run professional apps like Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, etc. iPad Pro should have received the full version of Mac OS X. The Surface Pro is truly a pro tablet, the iPad Pro is nothing more than an experiment that will fail.
  • Reply 69 of 77
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    knowitall said:
    brucemc said:

Sounds like you should start your own company here and ride that bet, since you don't think anyone is going a good job.  You really need to get behind this one device does all, mobile OS & desktop OS in one, very small but somehow all parts user replaceable & upgradable, together with a multitude of connectors to connect to just about any device.  While you are at it, make it waterproof.  Good luck!
    One small step for Apple, one giant leap for me.
    Actually I did mention that some companies are heading in the right direction.
    Further 'my ideas' are not that far out and extreme as suggested.
    Most of it can be done right away, its just the matter of politics that gets in the way.
    One step further, 3D printing your own device (chips and all) from your own design is a bit further away but within reach in a decade or so.
    google had a modular cell phone project. it hasnt been working very well:

http://daringfireball.net/linked/2015/08/18/ara

...so i challenge your assertion that it can be done right away. in fact, as devices become even more integrated into fewer chips, parts, and materials to increase power efficiency, i doubt it will ever be done in any meaningful way. it's the opposite of appliance computing. that ship has sailed...normal consumers dont want to build kit computers anymore.
    edited February 2016
  • Reply 70 of 77

Apple is declining, why else would they make their services more cross-platform if not in an attempt to increase revenue?

If Apple wants more people to buy iPads, they need to make the iPad work for people who actually want to do work. The iPad Pro is a total joke, you can't do any serious work on something that doesn't at least run professional apps like Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, etc. iPad Pro should have received the full version of Mac OS X. The Surface Pro is truly a pro tablet, the iPad Pro is nothing more than an experiment that will fail.
    im not sure i buy it. i dont think people are doing "serious work" (why is it that you must be a graphic designer to be doing serious work??) on their MS tablets with the adobe suite. the screen is too small and i read the battery drops to shit, at which point theres no reason to be using a tablet over a notebook or desktop.
  • Reply 71 of 77
    Mr_Grey said:

Most of the employees at Apple (barring the retail ones) are millionaires already.
    oh my god. oh lawd. now, im asking this with all sincerity -- are you twelve years old?
  • Reply 72 of 77
    cropr said:
    volcan said:
    When you think about it they already offer a lot of free cross-platform services because an Apple ID is all you need to access all iWork applications on iCloud using just a browser.
    iWork in a browser is a very lousy product, that is no match for products like Google Docs or the browser version of Office.  A PC owner should have a really distorted mind to consider iWork
    works fine for us. id tried google docs before and im not sure what im missing.
  • Reply 73 of 77
    knowitall said:

may said:
    None of what you speak of will ever happen because its is a flawed premise. People aren't pining to plug in their smartphone to monitors, they aren't pining to upgrade their computer's hardware, they like having an OS optimized for a particular device, and they don't want free and open systems that require them to have to provide technical support to their own devices. Apple understands this, as does Google for the most part.

They want appliances. They want easy to use services.

Good luck to MS with what it is doing, but I'm not seeing anything that indicates they will be able to get back into mobile in any substantial way. The PC model of upgrading hardware, with the exception of a few niches, is dead.
    Making people aware influences what people do and want. But maybe its better to let 'people' speak for themselves.
    Upgraded my iMac a few weeks ago, and that made a very big difference, even a new iMac (for a huge price) cannot top this.
    You should try it, it will make you feel better.
    I upgraded three Lenovo D20's to SSD's, RAID 10's and USB 3.0, which run my MCAD/CAM software, and I upgraded my Mac Mini to a dual drive SSD and HD using OWC's kit, as the drive was flakey,  but I doubt I'll ever upgrade my iMac 5K; It's plenty fast, has plenty of memory, plenty of storage and plenty of capability. If I get to the point that it doesn't have what I need, I'll replace it. 

I stand by what I said; (most) people do not upgrade and that is why Apple ships volumes of products that are not upgradable, though some products do allow memory and storage upgrades, which isn't really a big deal anyway as most people buy what they need upfront. All of this in the pursuit of class leading products. In lieu of internal expansion, Apple has USB 3.0 and TB 2 and soon TB 3.
  • Reply 74 of 77

I roll my eyes at any comment containing the phrase "real work" which is a bullshit argument going all the way back to the dawn of personal computers. Just because someone doesn't do what you do on some device doesn't mean that they aren't doing "real work".

Surface is primarily being used as a desktop, and today it has very limited mobile capabilities, but yeah, still runs all of those "professional" applications that do real work for you. Me, I'lll take what the iPad Pro offers today, a mere three months after it started shipping, and add it to my workflow, knowing that many more "professional" apps are in development.

One would think from your comment that Surface is doing well, but, compared to the iPad Pro, it's adoption hasn't been any great shakes.
    edited February 2016
  • Reply 75 of 77
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,420member
    cropr said:
    For me it is the opposite.  I am never using iMessage because it is not cross platform.  In my family we have 4 iPhones and 7 Android phones users, so all communication apps that are not cross platform (iMessage, Faces) are simply not used in my family.

Sure it is, in that you can send messages to people not on the platform from the same app. I text Android/Windows Phone users from my Mac within Messages in the same window I message iMessage users, can pick up those same conversation threads on my iPhone in Messages and do the same from my Watch. How is that not cross-platform?
  • Reply 76 of 77
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,420member
    k2kw said:
    As some one who bought an iPad Air II last December, I had no interest in an Apple pencil  ( I really wanted quad speakers).  The pencil seems like an over priced glorified mouse substitute.  
    Obviously you're not a stylus or drawing tablet user.