Apple's Notes for Mac to support Evernote file imports in OS X 10.11.4

Posted:
in Mac Software edited February 2016
Apple's Notes app, included as part of the upcoming OS X 10.11.4 El Capitan software update, has been confirmed to support Evernote .enex file format imports in what could be a move to convert users to the iCloud native format.

The new Evernote compatibility comes as part of Apple's Notes buildout, a project that most recently resulted in substantial feature upgrades on iOS 9 and OS X last year. Adding to a rich in-app note-taking toolset, .enex file support means enhanced flexibility for those invested in Evernote's platform. Alternatively, the additional support might also be a play to grow Notes adoption, as a recent AppleInsider reader poll revealed Evernote as the most popular third-party note-taking solution.

Apple marketing VP Brian Croll mentioned the forthcoming Mac feature in an interview with Japanese publication PC User, saying Evernote "capture" support would arrive for OS X Notes "soon." The report was spotted Mac Otakara on Monday.

Notes' import function first showed up as a file menu option in the first OS X 10.11.4 beta builds released last month, gaining additional extension support in subsequent seeds. It is unknown how far Apple plans to extend import compatibility.

As seen in the images below (left is original Evernote file, right is imported Notes document), importing an Evernote file carries over a decent amount of formatting, though reproduction is not perfect. In its current form, the feature can be likened to MS Word document support in Pages. Still, the solution is more robust than AppleScript workarounds some use to get .enex files into Apple's service.

The latest iteration of Notes, released last year with support for iOS 9 and OS X 10.11, comes with a number of enhancements over its predecessor, including support for drawing, automated list generation, photo inserts, rich hyperlink imports and more. Notes is also among the few apps to fully support Apple Pencil pressure, tilt and speed sensitivity on iPad Pro.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    haha.  Days after I painstakingly migrated ~1500 notes manually.
    cornchiptallest skil
  • Reply 2 of 25
    Well, this is very welcome indeed, I used to be an avid Evernote user but have been gradually shifting over to Apple Notes as I can, hoping it would continue to receive much desired attention. Poor Evernote, lovely app, but it's progressed beyond the "cool idea in a free app" to "now we've got you hooked, pay us, pay us, pay us" announced ad nauseam with the "pay us" popups.

Good news indeed.
    latifbp
  • Reply 3 of 25
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Sherlocked much?
    cornchip
  • Reply 4 of 25
    Embedded images don't show up in Firefox 44
  • Reply 5 of 25
    Let's note that Apple has refused to offer any way to export your iCloud notes.  Unlike Evernote, they would prefer that your notes stay trapped in their proprietary database.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204055#note
    To copy notes, open the Notes app at iCloud.com. Copy the text of each note and paste it into a document on your computer, such as a Pages or TextEdit document. Save the document to your computer.
    To export your notes as PDF, open the Notes app in OS X Mountain Lion or later. Select the note, then click File > Export as PDF and choose a location.

• Reply 6 of 25
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    m0dest said:
    Let's note that Apple has refused to offer any way to export your iCloud notes.  Unlike Evernote, they would prefer that your notes stay trapped in their proprietary database.

To copy notes, open the Notes app at iCloud.com. Copy the text of each note and paste it into a document on your computer, such as a Pages or TextEdit document. Save the document to your computer.
    To export your notes as PDF, open the Notes app in OS X Mountain Lion or later. Select the note, then click File > Export as PDF and choose a location.

Apple's job is to make it easy for people to join their ecosystem, not to leave it. And as an Apple user and a shareholder, I have no problem with that. 
    pscooter63williamlondonai46
  • Reply 7 of 25
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    m0dest said:

An opportunity for Evernote then…
  • Reply 8 of 25
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    slurpy said:
    m0dest said:

Apple's job is to make it easy for people to join their ecosystem, not to leave it. And as an Apple user and a shareholder, I have no problem with that. 
    As a multi-platform user (Mac, Windows, iOS and Android), I do.  I really don't understand the "fan mentality" of wanting to be locked in.  And not even ultimately in the long-term interest of shareholders either.  Apple's been riding high in their walled garden, but things like that all have their seasons.

I think I'm going to upgrade to a paid version of Evernote just to help them stick around, since I know they're under pressure (although unlike William London, I don't feel under siege from any popups - just a lot of emails I can ignore). 

That is, I'd have a hard time running my various projects and endeavors without it and DropBox, so want to help ensure it'll be there for me.  And between SMS and Messenger I never have to worry about wondering what mobile gear my friends are running.
    laptopleon
  • Reply 9 of 25
    I think Notes has really become a winner. I used to keep the Evernote app on my iDevices, but never used it much. 
    Now, with Notes allowing for so many things, there really is no need for the elephant on my device!
    A minor drawback is that all drawings are exported as images, which, while expected, would be nice if it could differentiate a drawing from written text. 
    So I've started using Smart Note, mainly because it can recognise handwritten notes and allows you to copy them to the clipboard, or export them in various formats. It works very well on the iPad Pro with the Pencil. 

I do use OneNote a lot still, mainly for my office work. 

And a little off-topic, but speaking of exporting and importing, I really, really wish Apple would allow Health data to be imported into the Health App. They probably are concerned about privacy, given that you cannot backup your Health data on an unencrypted backup, but it would be nice if they could allow importing saved data.

They could probably have some key on the XML file that is exported from the Health app, tied to the User, which is then validated when trying to import the contents of the file back into the app. If the key does't match, then the data is not imported.
    edited February 2016
  • Reply 10 of 25
    7omr7omr Posts: 6member
    I loved Evernote when it first came out, but it is such bloat-ware at this point as to be unusable. Performance is painfully slow. Cannot wait to transfer everything to Notes. Hoping this resolves my performance issues, given my pages are primarily text. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 11 of 25
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Notes still doesn't support tagging though, which is unfortunate. 

Anyway, I think all these apps are going to be awesome when pencil support reaches the smaller iPads. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 12 of 25
    How does it deal with tags? I use them in Evernote but Notes doesn't seems to support them...
    williamlondon
  • Reply 13 of 25
    Rayz2016 said:
    Notes still doesn't support tagging though, which is unfortunate. 

Anyway, I think all these apps are going to be awesome when pencil support reaches the smaller iPads. 
    philt74 said:
    How does it deal with tags? I use them in Evernote but Notes doesn't seems to support them...
    This is definitely one thing I hope we see in Notes soon, I love the tagging feature in Evernote, that would be something greatly missed if they don't incorporate it, also a missed opportunity, I still feel Tags and tagging is something that could be extended and exploited (and encouraged) much more, it's one of the best ways to organise stuff.
  • Reply 14 of 25
    Yeah I'm still waiting for them to let me import my Stickies.

Now they're just taunting me... an "Import Notes..." option that won't do anything useful.
  • Reply 15 of 25
    I used to use Evernote like, a lot. Loved it at the time. I actually took all my college course notes into it. In the last year or so it has devolved into a clunky app that prods way too much for premium accounts. No, I won't pay for Evernote again (I did while in college) given how much worse it has gotten. Since iOS 9/OS X 10.11 I truly have started using Notes almost exclusively for any note taking that I don't need to directly share with others, only using Evernote for Shared Notebooks. This news inspired me to export all my 20+ personal Evernote notebooks to prepare for quite possibly importing into Notes upon the general release of 10.11.4. Even if I don't import them right away all that data is no longer trapped within a rapidly declining product with no clear transition path. Hopefully Notes also gains things like Shared Notebooks (folders in Notes) and other features Evernote still has beyond what Notes offers in the next few OS updates.
  • Reply 16 of 25
    Glad to see Notes linking with Evernote. Everything else does. That's what make Evernote indispensable. There's so many ways to get things into it. It's my big filing cabinet, database, and writing platform. I disagree that it's become bloat-ware. Quite the contrary, in the last few years, it's finally reached a level of maturity where it's fast and easy to use. Maybe those who find it slow, need a faster Internet connection. It's fast for me. I believe in using Apple whenever possible and augmenting it with outside hardware and software when it makes sense. I'm a big fan of Pages and Numbers, and I'm liking Notes more and more, but I have a real need for Evernote, Dropbox, and Scrivener. The future is paying for subscriptions for entertainment and work-related services. Paying Evernote $45 annually for all the storage I'll ever need and more importantly, the ability to search within documents is a bargain. I pay for Amazon Prime and Apple Music, and I'm about to cut the cord and pay for only what I want on TV. I don't understand people who think everything should be free. Would they be willing to work for free? I didn't think so. So why do they expect others to work for free?
    bigpics
  • Reply 17 of 25
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    Can Evernote save notes to your own (private) server? Apple Notes can. That's why I use Apple Notes.
  • Reply 18 of 25
    rcfarcfa Posts: 1,124member
    I'll be interested in all that the moment OS X Server can host the newfangled notes, not just the old style ones.

iCloud is OK for simple consumers, but businesses or anyone who wants to retain sovereignty over their data will want to run their own server, and the whole point of OS X Server is that it should provide iCloud equivalent services for those who want to roll their own and are willing to spend money and time running their own server.
  • Reply 19 of 25
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    rcfa said:
    I'll be interested in all that the moment OS X Server can host the newfangled notes, not just the old style ones.

OS X Server has supported Apple Notes for years. That's what I use. You're saying new notes, such as iPad Pro drawings, can't be saved to Server?
    edited February 2016
  • Reply 20 of 25
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    slurpy said:

Export is important for sake of the ecosystem as well. That is one reason Numbers, Keynote, Pages are interoperable, both import and export, with MS Office formats. All App Store and Mac App Store apps should be considered part of the Apple ecosystem.
    edited February 2016 bigpics