First look: Apple adds voice dictation to latest Apple TV with tvOS 9.2 beta 3

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
This week's release of tvOS 9.2 beta 3 further addresses the device's text input shortcomings, giving users the ability to enter words using their voice, rather than the onscreen keyboard.

The latest beta of tvOS 9.2 adds dictation support to text entry fields when using the set top box. When given the option to enter text, simply press and hold the Siri button on the remote and speak your query.

In addition, tvOS 9.2 also gives users the ability to search the tvOS App Store from anywhere with the Siri Remote. Simply hold the Siri button and tell the device to "search the App Store" for your desired content.

The latest addition in tvOS 9.2 beta 3 joins improvements from earlier betas that were also focused on text entry. Specifically, earlier tvOS builds added support for Bluetooth keyboards as well.

tvOS 9.2 will also bring users the ability to group home screen apps into folders. It also features an improved app switcher, and support for iCloud Photo Library.

There is no public beta program for tvOS 9.2, meaning the software is only available for developers to test. It must be installed on an Apple TV via a USB-C cable.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    This really needs to be part of any and all Apple TV models currently in use.
    braderunner
  • Reply 2 of 16
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member

Siri search on Apple TV. Im sure someone will like/ find it handy. As much as everyone poo-poo's it, I would like web pages to be displayed. Could they make a Safari browser app?

Eg--

Siri - Show the local wx radar.

Siri- Wiki of George Washington

I also would like a 'darker' background color. Im watching  a TV show/movie or play game or what ever, it ends and returns to the ---  BAAMMM-- hit with the white(well brite) screen of Apple TV. It needs the new iOS 'twilight' mode or what ever they call it.  But ... it is pretty!

Another thing to consider --- PIP with apps. More like separate windows to view side by side. Would come in handy for some use cases

edited February 2016
  • Reply 3 of 16
    Developers can update software directly from Apple TV without a USB cable.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    boeyc15 said:

Siri search on Apple TV. Im sure someone will like/ find it handy. As much as everyone poo-poo's it, I would like web pages to be displayed. Could they make a Safari browser app?

Eg--

I also would like a 'darker' background color. Im watching  a TV show/movie or play game or what ever, it ends and returns to the ---  BAAMMM-- hit with the white(well brite) screen of Apple TV. It needs the new iOS 'twilight' mode or what ever they call it.  But ... it is pretty!

Another thing to consider --- PIP with apps. More like separate windows to view side by side. Would come in handy for some use cases

I think there needs to be a safari app as well. For instance, Metallica live stream their "Too Heavy for Halftime" show on their website, so I had to pull it up on the iPad and AirPlay it over to Apple TV. It works fine, but kind of unescessary. Maybe it's just Apple's way of getting developers to create apps for the tv instead of taking the easy way out through internet links or whatever. 
    cornchip
  • Reply 5 of 16
    This really needs to be part of any and all Apple TV models currently in use.
    Really!  Why doesn't it work via the Remote app!  Siri, as well!
  • Reply 6 of 16
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Will this work with Home Sharing devices as a way or using Siri to search for items, or is there no text field within that UI to even call your shared iTunes Library?
  • Reply 7 of 16
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    What happened to the photos, or is this an actual ATV rendering?
    (Wouldn't by it for the world if it is.)
  • Reply 8 of 16
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    boeyc15 said:

Eg--

I think there needs to be a safari app as well. For instance, Metallica live stream their "Too Heavy for Halftime" show on their website, so I had to pull it up on the iPad and AirPlay it over to Apple TV. It works fine, but kind of unescessary. Maybe it's just Apple's way of getting developers to create apps for the tv instead of taking the easy way out through internet links or whatever. 
    I agree this dumbed down Siri is, well, dumb.

But it's pretty obvious why Apple won't allow a browser guys, c'mon. The internet is FILLED with illegal content and they don't want you illegally streaming movies, shows, etc.
    A REAL Siri would definitely eliminate most needs for a browser.
  • Reply 9 of 16
     These features are long overdue and should've shipped with the original TVOS hardware, I always felt the new AppleTV is half-baked. 
    edited February 2016 peteralt
  • Reply 10 of 16
    cali said:

But it's pretty obvious why Apple won't allow a browser guys, c'mon. The internet is FILLED with illegal content and they don't want you illegally streaming movies, shows, etc.
    There are many legitimate reasons why you might use a Safari app on the AppleTV, and the presence of illegal content on the Internet is no reason to exclude Safari.  (If it were, why does Apple offer Safari in OS X and iOS?)  One example of the need for Safari in tvOS is to watch live sports streamed from college web sites; it is dumb to have to use AirPlay from my iPad to my AppleTV.

Hopefully the improvements in text entry (and Siri for tvOS) will enable the level of user experience necessary for Apple to add Safari to tvOS.
  • Reply 11 of 16
     These features are long overdue and should've shipped with the original TVOS hardware, I always felt the new AppleTV is half-baked. 
    No doubt. It's amazing you can buy lights, thermostats, ....all sorts of third party devices that be controlled by Siri with HomeKit.  Yet, she is still unable to control the Apple TV from the Watch, iPhone, iPad, etc. The ingredients were mixed together, it's just now getting put in the oven. 
    edited February 2016 cali
  • Reply 12 of 16
    My only REAL complaint with Apple TV 4 is the touch screen remote when scrolling through lists of tv shows and movies. We have about 2,500 bluray movies on our 6TB movie drive and 22,000 episodes of TV shows on another 6TB drive. When you go to the drive contents for movies you get three column options to scroll through:

UNWATCHED    TITLES     GENRE

The problem is as we start scrolling down one column it suddenly jumps the column to one of the others and you loose the alphabetical listing you were at instantly. In other words if it jumps suddenly from TITLES to UNWATCHED while you're around say the letter "M" (jumping out of the TITLES column) it takes you to the beginning letter "A". When you slide sideways to return to where you were it also returns to "A" and you get to start over. I've yet to see movies that start with "S" through "Z". <LOL> 

What a major pain in the butt!!!

... and before someone jumps in and recommends to me, "just have Siri find it..." my response to you is "find what?"  That's the problem. We don't know what we want to watch THATS why we're scrolling through our list!!  If this was Windows 10 people would be ragging all over Microsoft for poor UI but because it's Apple were supposed to "deal with it?"

I can't tell you how much I HATE THIS!!!

Honest to god I've tried scrolling really straight. 
    I've tried scrolling really slowly.
    I've tried putting tape blocking the other sides of the touch area so ONLY straight down will be visible. 

The slightly movement left or right and WHAM!!! you're back to the letter 'A" starting all over again. I just want to see what's in the entire list. Why is that too much to ask?  Why can't Apple make it so once you start scrolling down a column that the remote stays in the column till you tell it otherwise. It was bad enough they took away the ease of sound by dumping the optical port but this is a deal breaker. I do NOT recommend to my friends to buy this and it doesn't take much to talk them out of it I just have them try to scroll down to the letter "S". <LOL> 
    caliequality72521unbeliever2
  • Reply 13 of 16
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    cali said:

There are many legitimate reasons why you might use a Safari app on the AppleTV, and the presence of illegal content on the Internet is no reason to exclude Safari.  (If it were, why does Apple offer Safari in OS X and iOS?)  One example of the need for Safari in tvOS is to watch live sports streamed from college web sites; it is dumb to have to use AirPlay from my iPad to my AppleTV.

Hopefully the improvements in text entry (and Siri for tvOS) will enable the level of user experience necessary for Apple to add Safari to tvOS.
    I agree that there's plenty of reasons to use a browser but illegal content is so obvious.
    Safari on iOS and OS X, Really??
    I also think they want to propel their app philosophy here. An App for everything you need. Unfortunately, we're not there yet.
    edited February 2016
  • Reply 14 of 16
    boeyc15 said:

Eg--

I think Zinc will help with situation like this.
  • Reply 15 of 16

cali said:

This too, Zinc can help.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    I agree that TVOS is half-baked. We are still missing many features that were in the original software. Here are some examples:

The options button has disappeared and there is no alternative way to bring these features back. What I'm talking about, for example, is when you are in YouTube and you stop a video, before you would have been able to see other options, such as seeing related videos, like, add, subscribe, a link to other videos by member, etc. Similir functionality is missing in other apps as well, such as Flickr.

Search fast forward and search backwards video playback scrubbing seems to be all out missing (or at least made very difficult to use); while, with previous Apple TV versions, a simple left and right button click did the trick.

The Apple TV Remote app no longer wakes the unit up. If they can bring this back, it could be used with the new HDMI CLEC control feature (which I like) to wake everything up (including my Onkyo amplifier and TV). It would be great if they also allowed Apple TV AirPlay discovery while the unit is sleeping so that iOS devices could discover it and allow AirPlay to wake it up simply by sending a video.

A feature I'm shocked it doesn't already have is hand-off. It would be nice if I started a video on my iPhone and handed it off to my Apple TV to finish it, without using AirPlay. This morning I was watching a video on YouTube comments my iPhone and wanted to finish it on my Apple TV. I had to stop the video from playing on my phone, select "watch later", wake up my Apple TV, go into the YouTube app, go into "my YouTube", and play it from the "watch later" list. These steps could all me eliminated witn ond simple step, if the new Apple TV included the hand-off feature. It could be simplier yet if the feature would also wake the Apple TV unit from sleep mode (if it were sleeping).

I have a feeling these things and more will come in due time, but I think Apple felt it had all the basic features ready to release it.