Hackers trying to bribe Apple workers into handing over login information, report says

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    Blaster said:

It's true:
    I see you need to enter your passcode if you haven't unlocked your phone in 48 hours, which has happen to me exactly never. I seldom go more than 8 hours without using my iPhone so I have only been asked for the passcode upon restart.
    jbdragoncornchip
  • Reply 22 of 28
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    volcan said:
    Blaster said:

It's true:
    I see you need to enter your passcode if you haven't unlocked your phone in 48 hours, which has happen to me exactly never. I seldom go more than 8 hours without using my iPhone so I have only been asked for the passcode upon restart.
    Thanks I couldn't find that. (a quote along with the general link would have helped perhaps) And yeah, that's not precisely the normal use-case for me or the standard user either I expect Untouched for 48 hours? Other than my longer backpacks that never happens and I've had iPhones for years... and so the point is it is not simply "every 48 hours" periodicity but rather 48 hours of a specific condition (uninterrupted locked).

ETA: after searching for "48"...
    "Get help with Touch ID

Sometimes, you'll need to enter your passcode or Apple ID instead of using Touch ID:

• If you've just restarted your device
    • If your fingerprint isn't recognized five times in a row
    • If you haven't unlocked your device in more than 48 hours 

• If you've just enrolled or deleted fingerprints
    • If you're trying to open Touch ID & Passcode in the Settings menu
    • If Require Password is set to Immediately under Settings > General > Restrictions"
    So IMHO "On your iOS device with Touch ID enabled, you must reenter your passcode every 48 hours" isn't true. The specific condition of it having not been unlocked for a 48 hour span  isn't mentioned making it seem like every 48 hours you have to enter the passcode with Touch ID enabled and that's not the case.
    edited February 2016
  • Reply 23 of 28
    cali said:
    As long as there are incentives, there will be people willing to take great risks for the rewards. 

This is probably an excellent reason ALL Apple logins and passwords should be replaced with either Touch ID or the combination of Touch ID and a password, so no one, not even Apple could access user data.
    You're right it's like the drug game. freerange is also correct but that'll only repel the small timers.

And I thought by 2015 everything on Apple devices would be TouchID compatible. Seemed logical even way back when it anounced.
    The disadvantage with Touch ID only is that (for wrong or right) a person may be legally compelled to submit to forcible use of the thumbprint scanner to open their device(s) by law enforcement. A password may not be forced out of anyone. Even based on the assumption that the "majority" of times law enforcement made people open their devices for legitimate reasons, one could easily see how this could be misused.
    edited February 2016 cornchip
  • Reply 24 of 28
    jfc1138 said:
    volcan said:
    Thanks I couldn't find that. (a quote along with the general link would have helped perhaps) And yeah, that's not precisely the normal use-case for me or the standard user either I expect Untouched for 48 hours? Other than my longer backpacks that never happens and I've had iPhones for years... and so the point is it is not simply "every 48 hours" periodicity but rather 48 hours of a specific condition (uninterrupted locked).

ETA: after searching for "48"...
    "Get help with Touch ID

Sometimes, you'll need to enter your passcode or Apple ID instead of using Touch ID:

• If you've just restarted your device
    • If your fingerprint isn't recognized five times in a row
    • If you haven't unlocked your device in more than 48 hours 

• If you've just enrolled or deleted fingerprints
    • If you're trying to open Touch ID & Passcode in the Settings menu
    • If Require Password is set to Immediately under Settings > General > Restrictions"
    So IMHO "On your iOS device with Touch ID enabled, you must reenter your passcode every 48 hours" isn't true. The specific condition of it having not been unlocked for a 48 hour span  isn't mentioned making it seem like every 48 hours you have to enter the passcode with Touch ID enabled and that's not the case.
    The original post from Blaster (which volcan was commenting on) included the link to the Apple support document which you quoted (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201371):

"Sometimes, you'll need to enter your passcode or Apple ID instead of using Touch ID:  ...
    • If you haven't unlocked your device in more than 48 hours ..."
    cornchip
  • Reply 25 of 28
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    I get a continuous stream of spam emails for an Apple repair program, which I was part of and no longer exists.

They obviously hope I am stupid enough to enter my Apple ID.

Note the excellent spelling (What the hell is a "notifica"?) and the fact that they don't seem to know my name.

edited February 2016
  • Reply 26 of 28
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

jfc1138 said:
    mr. me said:
    I'm not so sure. On your iOS device with Touch ID enabled, you must reenter your passcode every 48 hours. From this I infer that Touch ID is a convenience, but that passcodes provide superior security.
    "48 hours"? I don't/haven't on any of my iOS devices: I only am required to re-enter the passcode when I've powered down the device and restarted it or after a system update. Neither of which happens every 48 hours. And I'm skeptical of passcode superior security as they can be socially hacked (your birthday? Really?), stolen or merely observed and copied: none of which applies to a Touch ID.
    Mine does and I chose the alphanumeric option, a long combination of reasonably random letters, numbers and symbols with some capitals.

The phone will wipe before it gets anywhere near being cracked.
  • Reply 27 of 28
    mr. me said:

I'm not so sure. On your iOS device with Touch ID enabled, you must reenter your passcode every 48 hours. From this I infer that Touch ID is a convenience, but that passcodes provide superior security.
    No you don't. You only need to enter your passcode after 48 hours *IF* you haven't unlocked your phone during that time. In the usual case where you unlock your device at least once in 2 days, TouchID remains active and your passcode is not required. There are a few other cases you need it, most commonly after a full restart or iOS upgrade, or because of the random annoying bug which tells you you've not unlocked your phone for 48 hours when you actually have. 
  • Reply 28 of 28
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    ireland said:
    I'd like to bribe Tim into opening a store in this country
    Where can I send my contribution?

(would it be very, very cheeky of us to ask for a few of them, in Cork, Galway, Dublin and Letterkenny?)
    Only Dublin is likely to get a store - sometime next century I imagine.

It is a bit curious as to why there isn't one.  I thought it might be because the population wasn't enough to warrant it, but the UK has 39 stores so that's one for every 1.7 M people.  On that basis, Ireland should at least have one, if not three.

Perhaps the existence of a retail store would negate some aspect of their tax loop-holing, thus making it a multi billion € disincentive.