Harman's JBL Legend CP100 CarPlay receiver to launch Feb. 14 for $400

Posted:
in iPhone edited February 2016
A month after Harman debuted its JBL Legend CP100 aftermarket receiver with CarPlay support, the company on Thursday opened preorders for the $400 device ahead of a Feb. 14 ship date.

Announced at CES in January, the CP100 is Harman's first in-car product to boast CarPlay and Android Auto compatibility. A CES Innovation Award honoree, the unit received praise for offering a solid feature set at a relatively low price point, something few aftermarket audio manufacturers have been able to achieve.

JBL's CP100 is designed to replace an existing 2-DIN infotainment system, swapping out physical knobs and dials for a 6.75-inch capacitive touchscreen with full support for Apple's iOS-inspired user interface. Google's Android Auto GUI is also integrated out-of-the-box. A panel of three buttons to the left of the screen control power, volume and, in CarPlay's case, invokes Siri.

Like other CarPlay receivers, the CP100 routes data from a host iPhone to a car's existing entertainment backend for phone calls, message dictation, navigation functions including turn-by-turn directions, music playback, local search and more. In addition, a built-in steering wheel interface lets users take advantage of existing OEM controls.

Along with Bluetooth connectivity and the aforementioned steering wheel interface, JBL includes a rear camera input for vehicles so equipped.

At $400, the CP100 comes with a microphone, wiring harness and quick start guide in the box and is up for preorder on JBL's website. The first units are expected to go out on Feb. 14.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    I know it says it support Bluetooth but I didn't see anything indicating that it support CarPlay over Bluetooth. Does it?
  • Reply 2 of 13
    nasserae said:
    I know it says it support Bluetooth but I didn't see anything indicating that it support CarPlay over Bluetooth. Does it?

Nothing does yet, because Apple isn't yet. It's technically in iOS 9.2, but they've not formally enabled it. Its likely something that will get introduced in March event or WWDC..

I suspect they are requiring receivers that support BT Carplay to have Bluetooth 4.2 because that has better transfer speeds. It is using the screen as a monitor, so speed is likely an issue. 4.2 vs 4.1 or lower brings 250% speed in crease and 10x packet bandwidth.. so it's a fairly big deal.

4.2 is only in iPhone 6 and 6s, so wireless Carplay will not likely be in iPhone's older than that. Additionally, if any current CarPlay receivers from Kenwood or other OEMS didn' think ahead, they probably didn't include BLE 4.2 either.. :(
    edited February 2016
  • Reply 3 of 13
    I just installed the Alpine ILX-007 in my 2002 Toyota Tacoma - really like it, although I find the maps a bit washed out and sometimes difficult to read.   The Alpine does NOT have bluetooth connection capabilities (hard wire only to my iPhone 6s), but It does allow for a bluetooth module to facilitate a bluetooth remote microphone, which works well.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    adrayven said:
    nasserae said:

Nothing does yet, because Apple isn't yet. It's technically in iOS 9.2, but they've not formally enabled it. Its likely something that will get introduced in March event or WWDC..

I suspect they are requiring receivers that support BT Carplay to have Bluetooth 4.2 because that has better transfer speeds. It is using the screen as a monitor, so speed is likely an issue. 4.2 vs 4.1 or lower brings 250% speed in crease and 10x packet bandwidth.. so it's a fairly big deal.

4.2 is only in iPhone 6 and 6s, so wireless Carplay will not likely be in iPhone's older than that. Additionally, if any current CarPlay receivers from Kenwood or other OEMS didn' think ahead, they probably didn't include BLE 4.2 either.. :(

Pretty sure it requires wifi not Bluetooth. You can stream audio over Bluetooth but not video. From what I can recal reading/seeing in the keynote was that it would require a wifi connection. That would make it similar to AirPlay to an TV. 
    redgeminipa
  • Reply 5 of 13
    lolliver said:
    adrayven said:

Pretty sure it requires wifi not Bluetooth. You can stream audio over Bluetooth but not video. From what I can recal reading/seeing in the keynote was that it would require a wifi connection. That would make it similar to AirPlay to an TV. 
    This. Everything I've read so far seems to point to WiFi being the requirement. I won't spill on any of these units until they support wireless CarPlay. 
  • Reply 6 of 13
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    lolliver said:

This. Everything I've read so far seems to point to WiFi being the requirement. I won't spill on any of these units until they support wireless CarPlay. 
    You're entitled to your own preferences, but what difference does it make if you plug your phone in to charge while in the car anyway? 

Personally, I almost always plug my phone into charge while in the car, if for no other reason than to top off my battery which is always in danger of running out by the end of the day. Would it be easier in some cases not to? Yes. But I've gotten into the habit so it's no big deal, but until Apple introduces wireless charging, I don't see changing this habit.
    edited February 2016 christopher126razorpit
  • Reply 7 of 13
    mac_128 said:
    You're entitled to your own preferences, but what difference does it make if you plug your phone in to charge while in the car anyway? 

Personally, I almost always plug my phone into charge while in the car, if for no other reason than to top off my battery which is always in danger of running out by the end of the day. Would it be easier in some cases not to? Yes. But I've gotten into the habit so it's no big deal, but until Apple introduces wireless charging, I don't see changing this habit.
    Carplay might change your desire to plug in your phone every time you get into your car. 
    I've got a new VW that has Carplay, and I've only used it a few times. As soon as I plug my phone it, it launches Carplay, which takes you into a locked-down interface and doesn't let you use for phone for anything.

I find it preferable to launch spotify on my phone before I drive away, then just use steering wheel  controls.

Don't get me wrong, carplay works well for what it does. Siri works well, the apps work well, Nav works well, etc.. but the way it cripples the rest of my phone usage keeps me from using it.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    reidconti said:
    mac_128 said:

Carplay might change your desire to plug in your phone every time you get into your car. 
    I've got a new VW that has Carplay, and I've only used it a few times. As soon as I plug my phone it, it launches Carplay, which takes you into a locked-down interface and doesn't let you use for phone for anything.

I find it preferable to launch spotify on my phone before I drive away, then just use steering wheel  controls.

Don't get me wrong, carplay works well for what it does. Siri works well, the apps work well, Nav works well, etc.. but the way it cripples the rest of my phone usage keeps me from using it.
    Should you be not using your iphone or any phone while driving and rely on more hands free features to help you keep eye on road to save your life and others with you and the one you hit in other vehicle. In my opinion, CarPlay is not only convenience of using phone connectivity in car but also safety must be though through to enable or disable any such features. I agree that even with wireless carplay iphone connectivity, one should be able to enable or disable such connection from iphone and just rely on car's infotainment system and iphone works as independent. Everyone is waiting for new bluetooth enhancement standard announced to come in 2016 to provide longer distance with higher speed at low power consumption for internet of Things devices.So, wireless carplay can work well with bluetooth than Wifi.
    edited February 2016
  • Reply 9 of 13
    zimmiezimmie Posts: 651member
    reidconti said:

Wow. It must be so horrible to not be able to use your phone while you're driving. I really feel for you. 

Kidding aside, I find myself tempted to use my phone in the car all the time. All those other drivers suck, but I can use my phone and still be safe. I'm special. Except I know that everybody else thinks the same thing, and it isn't really true for any of us. So I got some nice, leather driving gloves that make it less convenient for me to do so except while stopped for a long time.

I'm curious if something like this is actually any less distracting. I haven't had a chance to find any real research on it, so I assume it's better than using your phone in the car, but not as good as not using electronics (or a paper map, for that matter) in the first place.

I also wonder just how sensitive the capacitive touch sensor is. As I mentioned, I wear driving gloves partially to prevent myself from using my capacitive-screen phone. Would a receiver pick up my fingers when my phone doesn't? I also have thick winter gloves. The resistive touchscreen on my stock receiver works fine with them. I assume this would not.
    edited February 2016
  • Reply 10 of 13
    adrayven said:
    nasserae said:

I thought Apple already turned it on for iPhone 6s and 6s+! The option is there on the iPhone and should work if you have a Wireless CarPlay enabled system.

http://www.howtoisolve.com/how-to-setup-wireless-carplay-on-iphone-6s-6s-plus-ios-9/

4.2 is only in iPhone 6 and 6s, so wireless Carplay will not likely be in iPhone's older than that. Additionally, if any current CarPlay receivers from Kenwood or other OEMS didn' think ahead, they probably didn't include BLE 4.2 either.. 

Yes. I remember reading it requires BT 4.2 (Edit: requires BT and WiFi). That's probably why no one supporting it yet.

edited February 2016
  • Reply 11 of 13

lolliver said:

It is over Bluetooth 4.2 not and Wifi. From the article I have posted in the previous post:

I edited the post after checking my iPhone. If you have either Wifi or BT off it will tell you it needs them on. So it seems to require both BT and WiFi to work.
    edited February 2016 nolamacguy
  • Reply 12 of 13
    this looks like the best one yet. id buy it tomorrow....if it didnt worry wireless carplay was coming months later.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    jony0jony0 Posts: 378member
    Announced at CES in January, the CP100 is Harman's first in-car product to boast CarPlay and Android Auto compatibility. 
    CarPlay and Android Auto compatibility … and … the product is prefixed CP. Just saying'. Harman knows.