Apple Store at Grand Central closed until further notice due to power outage

Posted:
in General Discussion edited February 2016
A power outage at New York City's Grand Central Terminal has reportedly forced one of Apple's most heavily trafficked retail stores to be closed until further notice.

Image via NBC's Keith Feldman.

Grand Central Terminal officials announced Monday morning that all stores within the station are closed because of power issues. In addition, entrances to the terminal along Lexington Avenue have also been closed. No timeline for reopening was given.

The power outage was caused by a broken water pipe in the terminal, a Metropolitan Transportation Authority official revealed to Gothamist. The water leak apparently hit a transformer, sources told Pix11.

The power outage reportedly began around 9:30 a.m. and affected the lower levels of the terminal, with sporadic outages on the upper levels. As of 11 a.m., power was restored to the main lobby, though according to Grand Central officials, the stores remain closed.

Train schedules have not been affected by the outage, though some ticketing machines were said to be down. NBC producer Keith Feldman revealed on Twitter that passengers can buy tickets onboard trains without penalty while the issues are still being resolved.

An estimated 700,000 people pass through Grand Central Terminal every day. Apple's store is located right in the heart of the transportation hub.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    The Glasgow store is closed too, strange
  • Reply 2 of 14
    Yes, Apple intentionally broke a pipe so water would hit a transformer causing power to be lost and stores closed. Then, to really make people wonder, they closed the Glasgow store for remodeling. I mean, what are the odds that two Apple stores on the planet just happen to be closed on the same day for totally unrelated events? Slim to none if you as me. Better sell your Apple stock tomorrow folks! /s
    latifbp
  • Reply 3 of 14
    ceek74ceek74 Posts: 324member
    ...or until the power is restored.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    ceek74 said:
    ...or until the power is restored.
    Which will undoubtedly happen before tomorrow's rush hour. 
    edited February 2016
  • Reply 5 of 14
    :# NY
  • Reply 6 of 14
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Yes, Apple intentionally broke a pipe so water would hit a transformer causing power to be lost and stores closed. Then, to really make people wonder, they closed the Glasgow store for remodeling. I mean, what are the odds that two Apple stores on the planet just happen to be closed on the same day for totally unrelated events? Slim to none if you as me. Better sell your Apple stock tomorrow folks! /s
    Oh you spoil sport, you just had to go and knock off his tin foil hat didn't you! ;)
  • Reply 7 of 14
    Steve would never have allowed this...
  • Reply 8 of 14
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    jax44 said:
    Steve would never have allowed this...
    To sum up hypnotised suddenly iPhone what is more you suck so that blah, blah, blah as soon as that death-grip in my opinion overpriced where you’d buy crap if Apple sold it, before you suck, then says not only butt-kissing, because of Apple didn’t invent anything, whatever hype, for one thing it’s open, while moron in conclusion it didn’t even have copy and paste for this reason Google Voice is better than Siri and TellMe put together for example marketing, which Apple are nothing without Steve Jobs because Apple copied LG.

Apple are going down, not enough notifications are way better on Android, this is why Gruber, afterwards cult of Steve immediately locked down, I would say that on the contrary toys in addition you don’t know anything why Antennagate, when Flash, particularly after that cult of Jobs, at the beginning fact is, I can get a better laptop for less. So China wrong on icons but resolution and battery. 

Only ecosystem, for instance hype whenever locked down, whereas Apple stole patent down but while Apple are nothing without Steve Jobs and moron, when Apple didn’t invent anything finally notifications are stupid, on the whole brainwashed. Eventually Tim Cook on the one hand iPad, due to overpriced, furthermore professional analysts Apple doomed on rounded corners.

Eddy Cue doesn't know anything, as well as Flash, moreover it didn’t even have copy and paste, on the other hand overpriced when Samsung sells more phones prior to moron despite stock buyback. 

You’d buy dirt if Apple Store however Apple have copied force touch, in contrast you suck and skating to where the puck is. Where just hype, because you don’t know anything on the whole cult of Steve whose death-grip because Battery-gate! So because of wide screen with copied, not paying royalties. Taxes are wrong, not ApplePay and analysts are stupid.  Brainwashed are waaay better and besides it's open. Then Antenna-gate too but profits!

That should cover it. :)
    edited February 2016 pscooter63volcan
  • Reply 9 of 14
    gatorguy said:
    To sum up hypnotised suddenly iPhone what is more you suck so that blah, blah, blah as soon as that death-grip in my opinion overpriced where you’d buy crap if Apple sold it, before you suck, then says not only butt-kissing, because of Apple didn’t invent anything, whatever hype, for one thing it’s open, while moron in conclusion it didn’t even have copy and paste for this reason Google Voice is better than Siri and TellMe put together for example marketing, which Apple are nothing without Steve Jobs because Apple copied LG.

Apple are going down, not enough notifications are way better on Android, this is why Gruber, afterwards cult of Steve immediately locked down, I would say that on the contrary toys in addition you don’t know anything why Antennagate, when Flash, particularly after that cult of Jobs, at the beginning fact is, I can get a better laptop for less. So China wrong on icons but resolution and battery. 

Only ecosystem, for instance hype whenever locked down, whereas Apple stole patent down but while Apple are nothing without Steve Jobs and moron, when Apple didn’t invent anything finally notifications are stupid, on the whole brainwashed. Eventually Tim Cook on the one hand iPad, due to overpriced, furthermore professional analysts Apple doomed on rounded corners.

Eddy Cue doesn't know anything, as well as Flash, moreover it didn’t even have copy and paste, on the other hand overpriced when Samsung sells more phones prior to moron despite stock buyback. 

You’d buy dirt if Apple Store however Apple have copied force touch, in contrast you suck and skating to where the puck is. Where just hype, because you don’t know anything on the whole cult of Steve whose death-grip because Battery-gate! So because of wide screen with copied, not paying royalties. Taxes are wrong, not ApplePay and analysts are stupid.  Brainwashed are waaay better and besides it's open. Then Antenna-gate too but profits!

since I fear that you are a danger to yourself and others, I have notified the authorities so they can check on your well-being. They will soon knock on your mother's door asking for access to the basement. Don't be alarmed, but you may want to ditch the rattler and slip out of your oversized diaper as the photos they'll take down at the psych ward for your patient ID will not be as flattering as you'd hope. Stay thirsty my friend.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    Oh you spoil sport, you just had to go and knock off his tin foil hat didn't you! ;)
    I was concerned. It seemed it was a little tight and might be cutting off the oxygen.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    Yes, Apple intentionally broke a pipe so water would hit a transformer causing power to be lost and stores closed. Then, to really make people wonder, they closed the Glasgow store for remodeling. I mean, what are the odds that two Apple stores on the planet just happen to be closed on the same day for totally unrelated events? Slim to none if you as me. Better sell your Apple stock tomorrow folks! /sTh
    This is one way to do viral marketing, burst a water pipe. When they open again they will all be remodeled fantastic! 
  • Reply 12 of 14
    gatorguy said:

Now what are we supposed to read for the rest of the year?  :D
  • Reply 13 of 14
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    gatorguy said:

Awesome random word generator but still needs a little work. Perhaps you should remove words like "whereas", "moreover", "furthermore".  Those are not part of the troller vocabulary. Otherwise, well done sir!
  • Reply 14 of 14
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    @gatorguy ;

still LMAO at your post. Possibly best post this year. Classically incomprehensible.