Kanye swears his new album will never come to Apple Music or iTunes

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited February 2016
In what increasingly feels like a well-orchestrated public relations stunt for Tidal, the saga of Kanye West's latest album continued Monday evening with a promise from the rapper that The Life of Pablo will 'never be on Apple.'

"My album will never never never be on Apple," Yeezus wrote on Twitter. "And it will never be for sale... You can only get it on Tidal."

Earlier in the day, West released and then pulled The Life of Pablo from his own website. He then begged his fans to sign up for Tidal, saying Jay Z's streaming service would get a one-week exclusive.

The promo appears to have worked -- at least temporarily -- as Tidal surged to the top of the iTunes charts.

There's no indication how serious Kanye is about long-term exclusivity, or for that matter whether he has the authority to make that call on his own. Like many of Tidal's other backers, Yeezy has complex distribution and rights arrangements with major labels that make wider availability more likely down the road.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 92
    It's all PR stuffs for his album and Tidal. Remember some rapper that said Earth is flat on twitter just when he released his new album?
  • Reply 2 of 92
    jonljonl Posts: 210member
    Promises, promises.
    stompyjbdragonbestkeptsecretmwhitepoksiargonautirelandrazorpitaylk
  • Reply 3 of 92
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    Good. Don't need that crap cluttering things up.
    macky the mackybrakkenradster360lolliverjbdragonargonautcornchipirelandpmz
  • Reply 4 of 92
    One more reason to hate this media creature. 
    macky the mackybrakkenDinahMoeHummjahblade
  • Reply 5 of 92
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Stop giving this egomaniac a platform. 
    calimacky the mackyjbdragonjustbobf1983argonautirelandDinahMoeHummjahbladejustadcomics
  • Reply 6 of 92
    What an idiot. His tidal app IS "on Apple." I just checked, a pirated copy of his album is already available via Torrent. But it's never going to be on any of MY computers.

Apparently Kanye thinks he's as smart as Steve Jobs. Maybe he should read Jobs' famous essay "Thoughts on Music" that points out why it is futile to try to lock customers to a platform, like Kanye wants. And it points out that if piracy is easier than buying a legitimate copy, people will pirate it.
    jbdragonargonautcornchip
  • Reply 7 of 92
    Thank you.  Thank you, thank you, thank you.
    macky the mackybrakkensergiozjbdragonargonautirelandDinahMoeHummigorskyjustadcomics
  • Reply 7 of 92
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    matrix077 said:
    It's all PR stuffs for his album and Tidal. Remember some rapper that said Earth is flat on twitter just when he released his new album?
    You're right! For a month this guy has been making hip-hop headlines. From his beef with Wiz Khalifa to liking fingers up his butt, the news won't stop and it all relates to his album.
    lostkiwi
  • Reply 9 of 92
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,015member
    I absolutely can't stand this man.  He's the only person mocked by South Park to be portrayed as better than he actually is.  He's been a disgrace for more than a decade, with notable assholish moves like stealing the spotlight from Taylor Swift and accusing George Bush of being a racist.   But worse, his "music" sucks.  Saw him on SNL the other night, and I truly believe it was one of the worst performances of all time on that show.  It was like some teenagers got high on shrooms and starting dicking around with auto tune while dancing around as if they were severely concussed.   I can't even stand the look on his face.  He's a smug, self-obsessed hack who is famous for being famous at this point.   Good riddance!  
    macky the mackythewhitefalconjbdragonfotoformatjustbobfentropysargonautwilliamhcornchiprob55
  • Reply 10 of 92
    Who cares?
    mattinozargonautrfrmac
  • Reply 11 of 92
    New meme. Resting stink face. 
    macky the mackyquadra 610argonautrazorpit
  • Reply 12 of 92
    Do you mean the same Kanye asking people for money?

http://www.macworld.com/article/3033457/software-social/kanye-west-begs-zuckerberg-page-for-money-over-twitter.html

What's funny is he asks Mark Zuckerberg, the founder of Facebook, for money over Twitter.

Are we sure this guy isn't meaning he won't sell is album over Tidal? What a putz.
    edited February 2016 wonkothesane
  • Reply 13 of 92
    sdw2001 said:
    I absolutely can't stand this man.  He's the only person mocked by South Park to be portrayed as better than he actually is.  He's been a disgrace for more than a decade, with notable assholish moves like stealing the spotlight from Taylor Swift and accusing George Bush of being a racist.   But worse, his "music" sucks.  Saw him on SNL the other night, and I truly believe it was one of the worst performances of all time on that show.  It was like some teenagers got high on shrooms and starting dicking around with auto tune while dancing around as if they were severely concussed.   I can't even stand the look on his face.  He's a smug, self-obsessed hack who is famous for being famous at this point.   Good riddance!  
    Nailed it! 
    entropysxiamenbill
  • Reply 14 of 92
    Some please help me out. Who's Kanye West?
    braderunnerjbdragonicoco3razorpitaylk
  • Reply 15 of 92
    sdw2001 said:
    Unfortunately this site only allows one "Like" per reader. Here's 10 internets for your post.

Kanye West: An ego as as oversized as his wife's nether regions.
    jbdragonentropysargonautcornchiprazorpit
  • Reply 16 of 92
    BEST NEWS ALL DAY!!!!
    sergiozjagnutcornchiprfrmacdementuschikan
  • Reply 17 of 92
    Kanye has tweeted that he is $53 million in debt... for unpaid taxes? To whom?

He pleads that you buy into Tidal... so he is doesn't drown in his debts.  Poor guy.  /s

jbdragontallest skilcornchip
  • Reply 18 of 92
    i guess he got that loan then from facebook or google if he does not have to sell it on iTunes to recoup his $50 mill debt
    jbdragon
  • Reply 19 of 92
    As if anyone cares. 
    braderunner
  • Reply 20 of 92
    tnsftnsf Posts: 203member
    I wish people (and media!) would stop assuming that app downloads = new subscribers. I'm sure a very very large portion of people who downloaded the app will never pay Tidal a penny.
    jbdragonargonautpmz