iPad Pro could use much faster 29W charging, if Apple allows USB 3 Lightning cables

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    Even though USB 3.0 and Thunderbolt are technically similar (both were designed in cooperation with Intel), Apple doesn't make any money on USB cables and wires. No license revenue is collected. Apple will always prefer Lightning over USB for that reason. Apple realized $100M in annual net profit for changing the wire and cable plugs when customers were inconvenienced with having to make a new purchase. Also, Apple thought that consumer electronics companies like stereo manufacturers and alarm clock makers would accept Apple's new royalty terms to incorporate the new plug into devices. Turns out that apple was wrong about this, and that seems to be the reason why Apple is rumored to be removing the headphone jack in favor for bluetooth transmission.
    cornchipcnocbui
  • Reply 22 of 25
    croprcropr Posts: 1,122member
    Why doesn't Apple just drop the lightning connector and move all the way to USB-C on Mac and iPad/iPhone.  All problems solved immediately
  • Reply 23 of 25
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    cropr said:
    Why doesn't Apple just drop the lightning connector and move all the way to USB-C on Mac and iPad/iPhone.  All problems solved immediately
    Because then they wouldn't have a proprietary connector to milk 3rd party accessory manufacturers with - kaching!
  • Reply 24 of 25
    DduttonncDduttonnc Posts: 2unconfirmed, member
    I use an 87w Mac book pro charger on my 2016 iPad Pro using a usb-c to lightning adaptor. It charges twice as fast
  • Reply 25 of 25
    DduttonncDduttonnc Posts: 2unconfirmed, member
    foggyhill said:
    Heat (fast charging) and battery is so not good together, all those "fans" seems to forget that.
    If you use fast charging while the device is running, you're causing major damage to your battery.
    People don't realize how little space there is for heat dissipation in this thing.
    Maybe if the Ipad is on a metal plate while you're doing it, it would make sense, otherwise I don't think I'd want to do that.
    Wrong. Wrong. And wrong. Apple devices have battery temp monitors , and cpu temp monitors, and will halt charging , or slow it down to prevent battery damage. You can charge any iPhone as fast as you like with ZERO worry (unless you get a defective sensor and it catches on fire lol) and use it while you charge it. If the temp reaches critical, the device will shut off and disable charging until it cools. Either way, Apple users should have no fear of fast charging or even fast charging while using the device. Each device also has a max limit power draw as well. In other devices, thus may be an issue, but not with modern iPhones / iPads. (And even devices back in 2015/16 had all these safeguards)
    edited October 2019