Dr. Dre's 'Vital Signs' not a harbinger of Apple's entry into TV business, report says

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
Vital Signs -- an upcoming scripted TV show from Apple starring Dr. Dre -- is about marketing Apple Music, and does not represent the company taking its first step towards becoming a service like Netflix or HBO, a report said.

The show is simply a part of Apple's continued financing of video content "to extend Apple Music," a source explained to Re/code. Other sources echoed this view, suggesting that Apple has nothing grander in mind.

Vital Signs will be little different in this sense than the music video for Drake's "Hotline Bling," or Taylor Swift's recent concert film, both of which were backed by Apple. Each also debuted on Apple Music, the latter remaining an exclusive on the service.

The new show should consist of six 30-minute episodes, not just starring Dr. Dre but with him as an executive producer as well. While most famous as a rapper and music producer, Dre also co-founded Beats, which was bought by Apple in 2014.

In a turn from the relatively "family-friendly" image Apple normally manufactures, Vital Signs has been described as a "dark drama with no shortage of violence and sex," including even an "extended orgy scene."

The state of Apple's rumored streaming TV service is unknown. While some reports have suggested that plans are still active, and that a service with some original content could launch this September, CBS head Les Moonves recently stated that his network is no longer in talks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    I question all of the rumors surrounding this now.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    I question all of the rumors surrounding this now.
    I question the brain that thought this was a good idea. 
    rogifan_oldmr obrakken
  • Reply 3 of 14
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    Why not having Sex and Tantra, a more profound and spiritual experience of Sexuality? 

No. 

Violence, Sex and Orgy is what we're going to get. Produced by someone who apologised for his f*cked up past and his inability to have balanced sexual relationships with women. Well done Apple, serves  Music rather well. Not.

>:x
  • Reply 4 of 14
    hodarhodar Posts: 357member
    Wonder if this latest release is coming AFTER they have had a look at the takes, re-takes, and re-re-takes of the scenes that they have shot featuring the acting prowess of the famed Dr. Dre?  Too late to trash the title, to late to retract the press release .... now what?
  • Reply 5 of 14
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    This is what Apple deserves because of its penchant for secrecy. Rumors are started, amplified, “confirmed”, changed, propagandized, distributed all without a peep from Apple. The company is being excoriated online over the alleged sex and violence by the family values crowd. Apple allows the asshats to control the narrative as the above comments show.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    once again Apple fails to control the narrative ...
  • Reply 7 of 14
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    lkrupp said:
    This is what Apple deserves because of its penchant for secrecy. 
    I'm all for secrecy when it comes to new Apple products, like phones, iPads, Macs etc. I'm even in favor of strip searching Foxconn employees, but there is no need for any secrecy in this case. 

This is not some amazing new iPhone, it's a lame series, so Apple should just come out and officially spill the beans, which would have the effect of setting the record straight and squashing any false rumors.
    edited February 2016 entropys
  • Reply 8 of 14
    As a long time reader of AI, what's with the bitterness of so many comments on AI? It wasn't always like that. I like comments, because of the often informative nature of them, by people that have expertise or insight. If people find the writing so poor and misdirected, please move elsewhere.

... so, now, do I wait for more more bombast from posters, or maybe some people saying, "You know, now that I read my own comments and those of others, maybe this poster has a point. I'd feel much better about life and myself if I just dialed it down a notch?"
    slprescotttdknoxgatorguy
  • Reply 9 of 14
    Why promote a Music service through Video/movies? .. And distribute/tie a video product through/to a music service ......Thats where the problem is … Its inchoherent ..messy …etc,
    edited February 2016 mr o
  • Reply 10 of 14
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member

As a long time reader of AI, what's with the bitterness of so many comments on AI? It wasn't always like that. 
    As apple moves away from its signature ability to deliver amazing hardware, wonderfully integrated with software in ways that delight the user, in favour of short term vanity projects for tossers who managed to scam the logistics guy now in charge out of billions of dollars, long term fans are likely to be a tad unhappy.
  • Reply 11 of 14

entropys said:

As a long time reader of AI, what's with the bitterness of so many comments on AI? It wasn't always like that. 
    As apple moves away from its signature ability to deliver amazing hardware, wonderfully integrated with software in ways that delight the user, in favour of short term vanity projects for tossers who managed to scam the logistics guy now in charge out of billions of dollars, long term fans are likely to be a tad unhappy.
    what on earth are you talking about? apple hasn't moved away from its unique ability to delivery amazing hardware and terrific software. today's mac's are the finest they've ever produced, and the finest PCs I've ever used. tablets and smartphones too. and despite the techie echo chamber claiming their software sucks, i have no problems with it and neither do the mass market -- who have given apple its highest consumer satisfaction ratings ever, and obviously also the best in the industry. people also are voting with their feet -- buying apple gear in record numbers. unfathomable numbers. the very best in human history.

but yeah, cool story bro.
    tdknox
  • Reply 12 of 14
    lkrupp said:
    This is what Apple deserves because of its penchant for secrecy. Rumors are started, amplified, “confirmed”, changed, propagandized, distributed all without a peep from Apple. The company is being excoriated online over the alleged sex and violence by the family values crowd. Apple allows the asshats to control the narrative as the above comments show.
    There will always be asshats (Tim Cook's twitter photo is a prime evidence) but rumours like this is a great marketing for Apple Music.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    hodar said:
    Wonder if this latest release is coming AFTER they have had a look at the takes, re-takes, and re-re-takes of the scenes that they have shot featuring the acting prowess of the famed Dr. Dre?  Too late to trash the title, to late to retract the press release .... now what?
    Stage the back-alley beat down of Dre on film, video him watching all his materials being set on fire, then conduct interviews with all his friends and therapists. 

Sorry, but that's the best I can come up with. ;)

As a clincher, maybe him being wheelchaired onto a boat which eventually goes down in a storm? A boat he funded to be built, perhaps?
  • Reply 14 of 14
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member

entropys said:

what on earth are you talking about? apple hasn't moved away from its unique ability to delivery amazing hardware and terrific software. today's mac's are the finest they've ever produced, and the finest PCs I've ever used. tablets and smartphones too. and despite the techie echo chamber claiming their software sucks, i have no problems with it and neither do the mass market -- who have given apple its highest consumer satisfaction ratings ever, and obviously also the best in the industry. people also are voting with their feet -- buying apple gear in record numbers. unfathomable numbers. the very best in human history.

but yeah, cool story bro.
    What am I talking about? Oh, how about broadwell chips in Mac laptops when Windows equivalents have had skylake so long they are already being discounted? I know they are still selling, heck I bought 2 MBAs last month because I had to, but it stuck in my craw because they are outdated. imagine what sales will be when they get around to showing some laptop love? 
    How about 18 month old iPads with A8 still being sold as top of the line while iPad sales are in decline? There really needs to be a lot of impressive somethings next month. It's been far too long.
    edited February 2016