Tim Cook & Jony Ive talk fashion, future of Apple in Vogue interview

Posted:
in General Discussion edited February 2016
Apple Chief Executive Tim Cook and lead designer Jony Ive took fashion magazine Vogue on a tour of their upcoming "spaceship" Campus 2, and explained how the Apple Watch is the realization of a long-term goal for the company.

Credit: Mario Testino for Vogue.

In the interview, Ive explained how Apple's internal goal has always been to make highly personal technology that users form a bond with. For him, that dream is becoming a reality with the introduction of the Apple Watch last year.
"In what we do, design is crucial, as it is in fashion." - Tim Cook
"Nine years ago, the iPhone didn't exist, and the most personal product we had was too big to carry around with you," Ive said. "The technology is at last starting to enable something that was the dream of the company from the very beginning --?to make technology personal. So personal that you can wear it."

The feature also delved into how the fashion world has responded to Apple's foray into their realm. In particular, Apple's partnership with Herm?s for a new Apple Watch design is indicative of the types of partnerships that are new territory for the Cupertino, Calif., company.

The profile revealed that Apple will sponsor "Manus x Machina," an exhibition at the Metropolitan Museum of Art's Costume Institute. In addition, Ive will serve as co-chair of the opening night event.

For the interview, Ive and Cook took Vogue on a tour of the upcoming "Campus 2" corporate headquarters. Cook boasted that all of the dirt dug up for the construction will remain on the property, which will feature more than 7,000 trees.

"In what we do, design is crucial," Cook said, "as it is in fashion."

Though Apple has maintained secrecy about its upcoming product pipeline, officials at the company have been more open and accessible under the reign of Cook --?a marked change from the company's public relations strategy under his predecessor, company co-founder Steve Jobs. For example, Cook and his team took part in an extensive feature for CBS's 60 Minutes in December.

In addition to media interviews, Cook has also advocated on behalf of social and environmental causes, including diversity, equality, and green energy initiatives. His work earned him the Robert F. Kennedy Human Rights "Ripple of Hope" award last year.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    the campus photo in this article is amazing. The glass is so clear it almost looks like there's no glass at all.

cornchipkevin keeSpamSandwichjony0
  • Reply 2 of 19
    Yes, the photo looks like they are outside, but I'm sure they were standing inside the new campus building.  

As usual Apple is ahead of the curve.  Tech and design (leading to fashion, and art) are converging and Apple seems to be seeking the sweet spot of profitably leading the way.

• Reply 3 of 19
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    the campus photo in this article is amazing. The glass is so clear it almost looks like there's no glass at all.

When I installed a very high-end, thick all-glass shower door in my bathroom I was given the choice of "regular" glass that had a subtle, slight greenish-blue color, or perfectly clear glass that was almost double the price.  My standards weren't that high.

I can't even guesstimate how much money was spent on all that glass.  To have it that perfectly clear (and curved) certainly costs an ungodly amount of money for sure.
    kevin kee
  • Reply 4 of 19
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member

I'm sure there was a little post to help it out, but still, very nice, yes.
  • Reply 5 of 19
    "Nine years ago, the iPhone didn't exist, and the most personal product we had was too big to carry around with you," Ive said.

So I guess Jony doesn't think iPod was ever Apple's most personal product?
  • Reply 6 of 19
    "Nine years ago, the iPhone didn't exist, and the most personal product we had was too big to carry around with you," Ive said.

It actually wasn't. Certainly the most portable. But your laptop could do everything it did. And better. 

The ipod just played songs. Later added pictures and movies on a tiny useless screen. 

The truly personal stuff: Apps, phone calls, Internet, email, notes, txt, etc. didn't come yet. 
    edited February 2016
  • Reply 7 of 19
    josujosu Posts: 217member

It actually wasn't. Certainly the most portable. But your laptop could do everything it did. And better. 

The ipod just played songs. Later added pictures and movies on a tiny useless screen. 

The truly personal stuff: Apps, phone calls, Internet, email, notes, txt, etc. didn't come yet. 
    It was the most personal product they got from 2001 to 2007, in the article he don't speak about powerful, but personal. And is comparing that to this very moment when you can wear it as a wrist watch. And to be fair, the Apple Watch is not much more powerful than an iPod was far from its "mothership" the iPhone. than it was from a computer back in 2001.
    edited February 2016 mr o
  • Reply 8 of 19
    josujosu Posts: 217member

Agreed, i was reading the article in Vogue and I thought exactly the same, well, to be fair, I thought they had forget the iPod,  I has to ask for it now when i got to the store within a store in my homertown, and is in a corner forgotten.
    edited February 2016
  • Reply 9 of 19
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    josu said:

Agreed, i was reading the article in Vogue and I thought exactly the same, well, to be fair, I thought they had forget the iPod,  I has to ask for it now when i got to the store within a store in my homertown, and is in a corner forgotten.
    Apple is trying to pretend this never existed:

edited February 2016 SpamSandwichmr ojony0tallest skil
  • Reply 10 of 19
    Wish the stock market agreed with them. It's not a spaceship. It's a bubble where they can all delude themselves that Apple is not losing it's relevancy as the iPhone saturates out and no new Apple product comes close to supplementing it.
  • Reply 11 of 19
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    The following site has some details about the glass:

http://www.techinsider.io/apple-new-headquarters-has-largest-piece-of-curved-glass-2015-12

Over 3000 sheets of glass, 3500 workers. I thought it would be fewer sheets as that says the sheets measure 47'x10.5' and the building is ~5000' circumference x 4 stories x 2 sides = 40,000'. Dividing by 3000 gives 13' per sheet but they can't be making them 47' high. Sideways at 47', I'd have expected closer to 850 sheets. Maybe they have interior glass too.

When the Apple cube store was overhauled, it cost $6.7m to install 15 flat panels so about $450k per panel - that will include removal of the other panels. 3000 x $450k = $1.35b in glass. The whole building cost is around $5b. They'll have to get some cheap IKEA furniture to offset that cost. Not really, their store tables cost $10k each, the building will house 13,000 employees so even if they spent $10k per employee office, it would only come to $130m.

I hope they don't suffer too much damage from the big earthquake expected to hit the West coast:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/nasa-los-angeles-earthquake-study_us_5627cbd3e4b02f6a900f1bcf

It would be pretty annoying to just get all the glass installed and a giant earthquake shatters it all in a few minutes. They'd have the cash to replace it all no problem but if it was going to happen soon, it would have been better waiting it out. It might take years to happen though. Maybe they can float the whole building on water to avoid this and they could let it rotate around so workers get a different landscape view every so often.
    edited February 2016
  • Reply 12 of 19
    ^^^ All that glass better not shatter. Isn't it a structurally supporting element of the building's architecture?
  • Reply 13 of 19
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    ^^^ All that glass better not shatter. Isn't it a structurally supporting element of the building's architecture?
    It might contribute a little to the support structure but it won't take a major part of the load considering it has upper levels. Most of the structural strength comes from the steel girders and concrete. You can see this in the video at the following link, you can see some of the curved glass panes at 0:25:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3429815/Drone-s-eye-view-shows-Apple-s-spaceship-campus-taking-shape-Latest-footage-offers-sneak-peak-building-s-curved-glass-walls-solar-panels.html

For things like the Apple Store where the glass just has to hold up a roof, it can take more of the load but the campus building is too big to be able to do that.
  • Reply 14 of 19
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member

The original iPod promised a 1000 songs in your pocket!

It may not sound impressive in 2016, but back in 2001, this was a Revolution compared to the mini-disc and cd players. Suddenly you had your whole music library in your pocket. You could not get more personal than that, back then.

>:x
    edited February 2016
  • Reply 15 of 19
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    cornchip said:

I'm sure there was a little post to help it out, but still, very nice, yes.
    Exactly! I myself have signicantly improved the 'clarity' with shots I've taken through glass too.
  • Reply 16 of 19
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    mac_128 said:
    josu said:

Yes, a lot of the watch faces on the old iPod Nano were nicer than those currently available on the  Watch.
  • Reply 17 of 19
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    1983 said:
    mac_128 said:

Yes, a lot of the watch faces on the old iPod Nano were nicer than those currently available on the  Watch.
    I can see a Miss Minnie watch face coming up in March as a counterpart to the Mickey Mouse with moving arms. Instead of her foot, she could shake her hips?

The iPod Nano 6 is the true predecessor of the  watch. Some of the watch faces were designed by Apple back then.

>:x
    edited February 2016
  • Reply 18 of 19
    1983 said:
    mac_128 said:

They would be wise to offer all of those old faces as alternatives for Apple Watch buyers.
  • Reply 19 of 19
    1983 said:
    mac_128 said:

Um, not really. I think most of these are fugly.