Protestors gather at San Francisco Apple Store to support fight against government backdoors

Comments

• Reply 41 of 64
    stevehsteveh Posts: 480member
    I do not support Apple. What if it were your family?  I think once you commit murder, or an act of terror, you shouldn't have the right to privacy. Once again, in America, we put the rights of the criminal first. Of course they don't want you checking out the phone! The iPhones are the new weapons of the century. How many bombs have been detonated by phones? They must be treated like any other piece of evidence by forensics when they are involved in murder.  Why is that so hard to see??
    What you seem to be missing here is that it doesn't just affect the (currently dead) terrorists in question. Apple caving in this case would set a precedent that could in the future mean the loss of privacy for everyone, whether or not they had actually committed a crime, or even been accused of committing a crime. Governments in general have demonstrated a very poor record of respecting individual rights, even of their own citizens. This would be far more likely to make things worse for the innocent, which should be the test to pass.

Sir Thomas More's commentary in Bolt's "A Man for All Seasons" sums up the issue pretty well.
    spock1234lostkiwi
  • Reply 41 of 64
    The FED is using this garbage in San Bernadino to further its spying activities on EVERYONE & thats the bottom line. We dont even know for sure the "alleged iPhone" exists or not!
  • Reply 43 of 64
    stevehsteveh Posts: 480member
    sandor said:

or go after the the perpetrators of the other 30,000 guns deaths every year in the US.
    The majority of which are suicides, which seems to get lost in the fog somehow. Given that suicide has been shown repeatedly, over decades of research, to be means independent, it would make sense to go after the causes for people choosing to commit suicide, rather than the means of accomplishing it. But it's easier to go after the means; dealing with the causes is a lot harder, so why bother?
  • Reply 44 of 64
    How about protesting in front of the SF FBI offices? Or in front of the District Court House? Focus the attention on the culprits.
    buzdotslostkiwijony0
  • Reply 45 of 64
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    Apple previously stated that they cannot break iOS 9 encryption, however the courts disagree and insist they must. Which is it? Can they or can't they? Besides how do you load custom software on a phone that is locked?
  • Reply 46 of 64
    I have started a petition on ‘We the People’ asking the President to intervene in this matter. Please sign this so that we can get the 100,000 signatures needed to elicit a response from the White House.

Direct Link: https://petitions.whitehouse.gov//petition/direct-doj-respect-constitution-and-stop-harassing-apple

PS: I understand that Obama may not be inclined to support our position right now, but with enough pressure from the public he may ask the FBI to back off.
    lostkiwi
  • Reply 47 of 64
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    sandor said:
    Google's CEO actually had a good series of tweets in support of Apple's stance against the government intrusion.

That was a pretty half baked response from Sundar Pichai. 
    Just like all Google's products!
  • Reply 48 of 64

josu said:
    And please, don't tell me that you prefer to surrender your privacy and your civil rights than your right to own something that only have a purpose in life, wound or kill other human being, most of the time yourself or a close relative.
    Excellent point. Very well put!

If people value the right to own assault weapons more than all the other rights in the Constitution, it really tells you something about their mentality and commitment to the founding principles of our nation. 
    lostkiwi
  • Reply 49 of 64
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    spock1234 said:
    I have started a petition on ‘We the People’ asking the President to intervene in this matter. Please sign this so that we can get the 100,000 signatures needed to elicit a response from the White House.

Direct Link: https://petitions.whitehouse.gov//petition/direct-doj-respect-constitution-and-stop-harassing-apple

PS: I understand that Obama may not be inclined to support our position right now, but with enough pressure from the public he may ask the FBI to back off.
    Sorry, but that's a huge waste of time in my opinion, because Obama is not some neutral observer in this whole issue. He's the one that is behind it.

tallest skil
  • Reply 50 of 64
    volcan said:
    Apple previously stated that they cannot break iOS 9 encryption, however the courts disagree and insist they must. Which is it? Can they or can't they? Besides how do you load custom software on a phone that is locked?
    Apple can write a hacked firmware to make it easier and possible for the FBI to mount a brute force attack on the iPhone 5c. The shipping firmware has safeguards that make the iPhone data permanently inaccessible after too many bad passcode attempts. There's also a delay that prevents you from entering a new passcode if the previous attempt fails, which becomes exponentially longer. The FBI is asking Apple to do away with these things, and also write new code that allows the FBI to electronically enter passcodes via a lightning cable. The iPhone has a service mode that allows new firmware to be uploaded even when locked.
  • Reply 51 of 64
    This would be great except for the fact that Apple already has the technology to unlock it and has used it in the past. Go to the NY Daily News dot com, they have a story about it also, Apple's lawyers didn't say it wasn't true either only that the number of phones claimed to be opened sounded a bit high. I don't know why people believe that Apple didn't have this technology already.
  • Reply 52 of 64
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    volcan said:
    They can't break the encryption whatever that means, just facilitate a brute force attack to determine the pin, which then allows decryption, in devices without a secure enclave like the 5c, where retries delays and locking out attempts are not enforced in hardware.

Not even sure they can remove the data from the phone and run it in an emulator and do an off device attack since I believe part of the key is device based to prevent just this kind of attack.

edited February 2016
  • Reply 53 of 64
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    This would be great except for the fact that Apple already has the technology to unlock it and has used it in the past. Go to the NY Daily News dot com, they have a story about it also, Apple's lawyers didn't say it wasn't true either only that the number of phones claimed to be opened sounded a bit high. I don't know why people believe that Apple didn't have this technology already.
    Well, frack, gimme the link so I destroy your alledge story, come on, do it.
  • Reply 54 of 64
    That was true for older versions of iPhone and iOS, but that does not apply in this case of an iPhone 5c running iOS 9.
    lostkiwi
  • Reply 55 of 64
    foggyhill said:
    Well, frack, gimme the link so I destroy your alledge story, come on, do it.
    http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/apple-unlocked-70-iphones-refusal-article-1.2536178

• Reply 56 of 64

That was true for older versions of iPhone and iOS, but that does not apply in this case of an iPhone 5c running iOS 9.
    right but, if it applied to older versions Apple lawyers would've stated that to support the recent news but there was comment given around what version of iOS was cracked for the police. Generally, when no comment is made it's because they don't want it come out it was in fact a later version and they get caught in a lie. Apple has complied with requests from law enforcement as recent as 2015 and based on the fact that iOS 8 and up sits on almost 90% of iPhone it's a safe bet that Apple has unlocked encrypted versions of the OS already....
  • Reply 57 of 64
    genovelle said:
    Let's not mention the 10-12,000 killed by gun violence every year or maybe the 300 mass shootings last year. 
    Let’s not mention that more children are killed by pools than guns. And car deaths throw a wrench in your stupidity, too.

genovelle said:
    His point goes to the rights of a US corporation  which when convenient they are considered a person. 
    I don’t see how. Can you explain?
    Are all safe and alarm companies required to give access codes to the government just in case?
    Why would that be legal?
    foxface616 said: I do not support Apple.
    Then you don’t get it.
    What if it were your family?
    FINK UDDA CHILLINS!
    I think once you commit murder, or an act of terror, you shouldn't have the right to privacy.
    Murder you’re wrong, terror you’re right. Not the point, though.
    Once again, in America, we put the rights of the criminal first.
    Nope. Rights of the people.
    How many bombs have been detonated by phones?
    Gizmodo headline: IPHONE USED IN MORE REMOTE DETONATIONS THAN ANY OTHER BRAND!
    Why is that so hard to see??
    Because the case isn’t what you’re saying it is.
    edited February 2016
  • Reply 58 of 64
    apple ][ said:
    I support Apple and Tim Cook on this issue, but I do not in any way, shape or form support the protesters, as I do not know them, and they're probably the same sorts of people that will protest other causes which frankly speaking, disgusts me. At least they don't seem to be violently inclined, they're not getting all up in people's faces, they're not blocking any traffic and their hygiene seems to be acceptable, so I'll give them props for that at least.

This coming from a person who has a pic of a repub as his profile (Trump) with 5 deferments on record and states he has more military experience than those who were in the military..get real. Return to your chained up hound and trailer swatch. Pass that man a Pabst.
  • Reply 59 of 64
    genovelle said:
    Let's not mention the 10-12,000 killed by gun violence every year or maybe the 300 mass shootings last year. 
    Let’s not mention that more children are killed by pools than guns. And car deaths throw a wrench in your stupidity, too.
    Talk about stupidity; More children are killed by hunger. WTF does any of what you've said above have to do with anything?
    Only one of the items mentioned is a tool designed for the express purpose of taking life. That's it. That's why it exists. End of story.
    That tool is the best example of a piece of shit design in current existence. Especially given what it's intended purpose is.
    It's like if our freeways and roadways were filled with 85mph hoverboards.
    edited February 2016
  • Reply 60 of 64
    bobschlob said:
    More children are killed by hunger. WTF does any of what you've said above have to do with anything?
    So make hunger illegal. Problem solved!
    Only one of the items mentioned is a tool designed for the express purpose of taking life. That's it.
    So you’re lying, then.
    That tool is the best example of a piece of shit design in current existence. Especially given what it's intended purpose is.
    I’m a fan of railguns myself, but how would you design a gun to be better?